TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a new Tacoma and I am trying to weigh the options between standard and automatic. Now I know that this is mostly a preference thing but I would still appreciate some feedback.

I do not off-road frequently and do it mostly for destination driving (getting into back lakes for fishing). Some of the spots that I go to only usually get quad 4 bikes and the odd brave truck driver so they can be challenging.

What is better from a 4x4 point of view for off-roading. There are some slow rock climbs that get slippery, some stair type rock climbs, mud, logs, and the rest ressembles a loogin road. I am confident in standard I am just concerned that I would be burning out clutches on some of the slower more technical parts.

ANy feedback would be great.

Mr Nuguy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
Automatic for what is sounds like you will use it for. Automatic wheeling is a no-brainer for the slow technical stuff. There's my .02 O yeah, my truck is a manual too..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Wow can of worms time. Since you will not do alot of wheeling I guess the answer probably doesn't wiegh to much on that area. I would look more toward your D.D. lifestyle then offroad. If you drive alot of freeway or back country raods then I would go stick but if you fight the 9-5 city traffic all week go auto. Both are a solid set up but that is my advise.

Both work well offroad. An auto is easier in the beginning and less to manage on long extreme rocky trials. A little time behind a stick however, and you can get them to performe flawlessly with greater control in some situations thena n auto. You generally speaking get better reliability since there are no heat issues to worry about and manuals are a simpler system in operation. Plus you can do more "trail fixes" with a manual in the field to get home, then with an auto.

Just remember both serve there purpose and everybody has a preference. Over all you will find more auto's out there, However I wouldn't trade my stick for nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Personally, I prefer a stick for everything but technical rock crawling. And if it has low enough gearing, I might prefer a stick for that too. (But that kind of gearing isn't in your plans.)

My taco has a stick, my buggy has an auto. Toyota is known for quality transmissions in both styles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
I grow up with a stick is a truck. PERIOD!!! My Taco only came with an Auto. As stated above if you are more of a asphalt city driver with occasional off roading then auto. You will also need to consider of your better half can drive a standard. Mine cann't and uses mine every now an then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Even with stock gearing, you can go SLOW in 4 low without stalling, slower then the spedometer can register, an auto is easier and more capable rock crawling, but if you prefer a manual it won't hold you back on anything your truck could do with an auto, unless you SASed it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
M-Diddi said:
I am about to buy a new Tacoma and I am trying to weigh the options between standard and automatic. Now I know that this is mostly a preference thing but I would still appreciate some feedback.

I do not off-road frequently and do it mostly for destination driving (getting into back lakes for fishing). Some of the spots that I go to only usually get quad 4 bikes and the odd brave truck driver so they can be challenging.

What is better from a 4x4 point of view for off-roading. There are some slow rock climbs that get slippery, some stair type rock climbs, mud, logs, and the rest ressembles a loogin road. I am confident in standard I am just concerned that I would be burning out clutches on some of the slower more technical parts.

ANy feedback would be great.

Mr Nuguy

not a fan of toyota`s auto trans....clutches are cheap and easy to replace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
TACO 4X4 said:
Also lots of others under the elusive search function.
:lmao:

With my few experiences so far, offroad I think the manual is great. Onroad too, except for stop and go traffic.
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
Tweeter said:
Automatic 4 life yo! :D

Then again I don't rockcrawl :p
In yer case... it would be hard to work a stick with that bulky Wool suit on... Or would it ??



But on a serious note... If I was running the dunes and shiat... I'd want an auto for that anyhow...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
padesertboy said:
not a fan of toyota`s auto trans....clutches are cheap and easy to replace.
clutches are cheap??? since when..? and not if you need to replace them all the time...

go with an auto for what you're doing most... and take me fishing! where are you located M-diddi??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,659 Posts
SantaCruzRC said:
Even with stock gearing, you can go SLOW in 4 low without stalling, slower then the spedometer can register, an auto is easier and more capable rock crawling, but if you prefer a manual it won't hold you back on anything your truck could do with an auto, unless you SASed it.
Auto RockCrawling is the Pussies way!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts
Animal said:
Auto RockCrawling is the Pussies way!! :p

....or the Double-Cab owner's way..... :D


I love my Sammi's 5 spd, and low t-case gearing... but with no choice on the D-Cab... Look's like an auto for me! I've wheeled both, the auto just makes things easier... of course with low enough gearing, you just find a gear and go with a manual anyways... so there's really no difference...?!?!! ... at least in driving... in other ways of thinking there's always that pesky reliablity thing to worry oneself about...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
TBob said:
everyone knows autos are for sissy's!


no........everyone knows that manuals are for those who refuse to come out of the dark ages and see the light that is the automatic transmission :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top