TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an aux fuel tank on thier truck? Maybe I'm lazy but I hate filling up 1-2 times a week. Any suggestions where to look for an install kit or how much it would involve?

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
i've got one in my truck. It's from downey. it sits in the same location as the spare tire so you'll probably have to move that to a different location or let it hang down a little further. I like it, it adds another 15 gallons and there is nothing like filling up your tank while driving to work in the morning without having to stop.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Don't you wish you posted in Newbie Tech. :newbie: :bump: :flamethro
Doom on you for not doing A LOT of searching and reading before posting

All you have to do is look at the sponser page at for Downey Off Road, Body Componets, Auxiliray Fuel Tanks?

If that's to hard then here's the site:
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/BodyComponents/index.htm
Look Down a couple for your rig

·
Registered
24 Posts
i just look at the downey web sight and it said that All tanks on this page are illegal for sale or use in California on pollution controlled vehicles. and there $662.33 so figure that one out. i've been thinking about one for my truck to, and i thought were the spare is is a good place to put one because u can't fit a 35in spare under the truck. but now i think ill wait on it for now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2nd gas tank

I think expeditions west did a write up and if i am not mistaken it was a 22 gallon tank from a doner isuzu trooper. Expeditionswest.com

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
ill be putting a 32 gal jazz fuel cell into my rig. it will be able to pass smog too.

500 mile range anyone???

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
sell the truck and buy a Kia

Has anyone installed an aux fuel tank on thier truck? Maybe I'm lazy but I hate filling up 1-2 times a week. Any suggestions where to look for an install kit or how much it would involve?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
where are ya gonna put it?
I'll be taking off the bed and throwing it away, fiberglass bedsides go on and there's plenty of room back there for the cell, 2 spares, 2 batteries, 2 ammo cans, my pit box and a cooler... Hopefully lol

·
Registered
925 Posts
check out rds aluminum. i have a aux tank/tool box combo. holds 30 gallons.

·
Registered
925 Posts
i got mine about 3 years ago for about 500 shipped from florida. in my opinion these other manufacturers are raping everyone. it's just a few pieces of aluminum welded together with some holes drilled into it.

mine is here:

check out west marine for some options. i'm sure they have a size that fits the spare location.

·
Registered
114 Posts
well of all the ass rapings, that looks like the best deal to me. maybe if i learn some fab skills i'll try to make one someday

·
Registered
925 Posts
i feel that the rds one i have is not overpriced at all. transfer flow makes a similar box for 800-1000 bucks.

mine has a fuel tank, plus the tool box built on top of it. from my experience with the local metal supply yard, the materials used to make mine would cost easily 2-300 bucks, so the price is more than fair. downey's tank, on the other hand, is a ripoff.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i got mine about 3 years ago for about 500 shipped from florida. in my opinion these other manufacturers are raping everyone. it's just a few pieces of aluminum welded together with some holes drilled into it.

mine is here:

check out west marine for some options. i'm sure they have a size that fits the spare location.

That is very cool. Not a bad deal either since you'd be paying ~300 just for a nice tool box.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
so what's up with the california hating?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey Peekay, do you syphon out of that or is it plumed into your main tank with a silinoid and gravity feed, ect? Please elaborate, cause I love that idea.

·
Registered
925 Posts
exactly. this is a very high quality box, the welds, materials, locks, hinges, struts are top notch. it fits perfectly between the wheel wells of the bed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts