TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a pair of VisionX 2" solos (http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Solstice_Series/c1_48/p376/2%22_SOLSTICE_SOLO_BLACK_10-WATT_LED_POD_15°_MEDIUM_BEAM/product_info.html)to replace a pair of 55W halogen lights that I was using as aux reverse lights. I simply cut the old lights out and wired the new lights using the same wiring.

These are wired using a relay getting power from my aux fuse block wired directly to the battery. There is a switch in the cab that turns the lights on and off. This setup worked fine with the previous lights.

I can turn the lights on with the truck off and no key in the ignition. They seem dim and have a high frequency flicker. When I put the key in the ignition and turn to just before start, the lights go out. I can still flip the switch on and off and hear the relay clicking. The lights will not turn on with the truck running either.

I have rechecked my relay wiring and it is correct. Keep in mind this was working fine before I changed the lights. The new lights are grounded at the mounts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems like the lights are getting a voltage drop once everything else in the truck comes on. Keep in mind the lights can run on anything 9V-48v. I powered them up using a 12v and a 18v drill battery and they work perfectly.

Until I get a multimeter tomorrow I am clueless.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Try grounding it to the battery temporarily to see if that makes a difference. most of the clicking I have had when turning on my aux lights were one bc of bad ground and two bc i didnt ground the switch initially. Most of the problems I have encountered with wiring on 12v is due to bad grounds/connections

All of my lights work great now I just have to re wire all of my speakers bc their grounds have never been the best. Good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I managed to figure out the problem. It was in fact a ground problem, but not exactly what I expected. After diagnosing everything and hooking the lights up with a direct power to the battery and ground at the frame near the bumper I determined that I was getting more than a 6 volt drop in power at the back of the truck.

This leads me to believe that my cab to frame ground is bad. I got the lights to come on full power before by going over a large bump. The lights only flashed for a second.

For now I ran a ground from the lights all the way to the same ground for the relay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts