TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Man, that is totally badass, major props to you, nice job for sure!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the C said:
have been waiting for your write-up, great job....the truck is very nice...whats next????
That is a great question. My problem is payload... :mad: I weighed my truck a few weeks ago and it came in at 4,740 lbs. wet. That was with no driver and passenger (another 380lbs.), water (96 lbs.), gear (180+ lbs.), etc.

Stock curb weight is 3,705 + 1,395 (payload capacity)= 5,100 (GVWR)

So fully loaded for a trip I am at 5,396! :xcrybaby:

Now some of that weight is unsprung (the heavier tires and wheels), so that gives me back about 130 lbs., but I am still over capacity and I havent even addressed the sleeping arrangements (roof tent, etc.), front bumper and winch, etc. :eek:

So my plan for now is to address some items that wont affect payload, like axle gearing (probably 5.29's), ARB front locker, some wiring items, etc.

I look at it as I have two options:

1. say to hell with GVWR and address items that will make the truck stronger and more capable of carrying the weight, like bigger brakes, stronger CV's, etc.

2. Not add any more heavy equipment. so no bumper or winch, roof tent, rack, etc.

What do you guys think? :confused: I don't mind pushing up to 5,500 or 5,700 lbs. but I am worried about the transmission, front diff, etc...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I work for the Superior Court Traffic Dept in NorCal. You might want to get a hold of the DMV and see what kind of restrictions you run into before going any further (weight-wise). DON'T tell them your plate number or who you are, though! Just ask what limits there are for that type of truck. The reason for this is that the fines for GVR restriction violations will kick your ASS! Not something you wanna mess with if some overzealous law enforcement officer wants to pull you over to admire your ride!

That 700 mi range is completely bad-ass, though! Cudos...

·
Registered
925 Posts
expeditionswest said:
I just finished the write-up on my custom Aux. tank install. I used a 2000 Isuzu Trooper tank and mounted it where the spare tire goes. It does hang down a few inches below where the tire did, but my truck isnt a rock crawler. :)

I love the 700 mile range :p

Tank install

hey scott, great writeup. i may have a solution to your overfilling problem. i learned it from the guy at transferflow fuel tanks. basically, connect the outlet of the trooper pump to a t in the stock main filler. then connect a t from the stock filler vent (the vent that lets gas escape when you fill the tank up) to a return inlet on the aux tank. this way, if you should forget to turn the switch off, the gas fills up, overflows and escapes through the filler vent and back into the aux tank. this basically recirculates the gas as long as the switch is on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
peekay331 said:
hey scott, great writeup. i may have a solution to your overfilling problem. i learned it from the guy at transferflow fuel tanks. basically, connect the outlet of the trooper pump to a t in the stock main filler. then connect a t from the stock filler vent (the vent that lets gas escape when you fill the tank up) to a return inlet on the aux tank. this way, if you should forget to turn the switch off, the gas fills up, overflows and escapes through the filler vent and back into the aux tank. this basically recirculates the gas as long as the switch is on.
GREAT IDEA! :cool:

That would work perfect, and save me some of the trouble of wiring a momentary circuit. I appreciate the idea!

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
expeditionswest said:
I just finished the write-up on my custom Aux. tank install. I used a 2000 Isuzu Trooper tank and mounted it where the spare tire goes. It does hang down a few inches below where the tire did, but my truck isnt a rock crawler. :)

I love the 700 mile range :p

Tank install

Scott, that is nice work. I am in the process of trying to assimilate a T100 RH tank opposite my main, I appreciate you taking the time to share your work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shibumi said:
Great work..How much?

Parts were about $250-300 using a used tank and pump. I also needed fuel lines, filters, steel, etc.

The big killer was time for me. Since this was the first attempt of its kind (that I am awaire of) there was lots of research and mock fitting, testing, research of the Toyota fuel and evap system, etc. It probably took me a full weekend and a night or two for the install and maybe another 5-10 hours of research and testing.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
expeditionswest said:
That is a great question. My problem is payload... :mad: I weighed my truck a few weeks ago and it came in at 4,740 lbs. wet. That was with no driver and passenger (another 380lbs.), water (96 lbs.), gear (180+ lbs.), etc.

Stock curb weight is 3,705 + 1,395 (payload capacity)= 5,100 (GVWR)

So fully loaded for a trip I am at 5,396! :xcrybaby:

Now some of that weight is unsprung (the heavier tires and wheels), so that gives me back about 130 lbs., but I am still over capacity and I havent even addressed the sleeping arrangements (roof tent, etc.), front bumper and winch, etc. :eek:

So my plan for now is to address some items that wont affect payload, like axle gearing (probably 5.29's), ARB front locker, some wiring items, etc.

1. say to hell with GVWR and address items that will make the truck stronger and more capable of carrying the weight, like bigger brakes, stronger CV's, etc.

2. Not add any more heavy equipment. so no bumper or winch, roof tent, rack, etc.

What do you guys think? :confused: I don't mind pushing up to 5,500 or 5,700 lbs. but I am worried about the transmission, front diff, etc...
First off get a tranny cooler if you don't already have one! Just to hold you over.
Second I don't think your much heavier than the rest of us. I think mine weighed around 4700lbs before the sas?

If you do gears I wouldn't go over 4:88, you might run into breaking problems with 5:29's.
If you do a front locker become very good at changing axles. They are not hard to change and I would recomend carrying 2 with you!

Manual hubs would help but you don't have to have them.

you could try making things lighter also! Look at what your carrying, do you really need it all? I use to carry a huge ass tool box but only ever used maybe a 1/4 of the tools if that! The Tacoma only has a few basic wrench sizes, so you can leave your 11mm,15mm,16mm,18mm and any other sizes that don't make sence at home, if you think you might run into the other sizes carry a small cresent wrench?
Allot of times when we go camping we carry stuff that just doesn't get used, it's are "What if" stuff. I think if you layed all your stuff out for a trip and really looked at everything you would find stuff you will never need. Or can use a smaller lighter version of it?
Look at your spare tire and how much it weighs. If you have a good plug kit carry a light aluminum rim 15x6-7in with a pizza cutter super swamper on there. How often do you really need a spare if your running good off-road tires. I usally just plug mine and drive it home even tho I carry a full size spare.

Good luck with your weight loss problem and let me know when our ready for a winch bumper..lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
expeditionswest said:

Tranny should handle it. Ater all, it can handle tow weight. The tranny cooler idea is a good one. Front diferential is also built to handle the demands of going up hills which would put more stress on it other than normal driving in which it is not much used anyway. Plus, your weight gain is mostly in the rear. Rear axle bearings may be a concern but I doubt it.
I would say springs would be your major concern. I have put V-8s in Vegas, seen them in Fieros, and do not know of anyone who does not "work" his truck.
Nice mod!
Just a thought but...the further behind the rear axle you place weight, the more it weighs due to the "cheater" effect as in a cheater bar or a longer cheater bar. I am no engineer but aren't we all. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jason,

As always, thanks for the advice. I am growing more comfortable with the weight of the truck and will likely just address some of the current symptoms. I will start with the re-gear and fit larger brakes and see how things go.

We should talk about the front bumper :cool: , I have some ideas... :welder:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts