TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just bought new tires and wheels (Dick Cepek FCII 305/70-16 and MT Classic II.) After putting them on I noticed that one tire seems to sick out farther on the drivers side than the passengers by about an inch.

I crawled under the truck and took a look at the driveshaft. I could barely make out a slight lean towards the driver's side. I never noticed this before with the old tire and wheel setup (in my sig. below.)

It seems like the whole axel shifted or was moved when the new leafs were installed.

Would loosening all the leaf bolts and u-bolts and trying to push the axel over correct this problem??

If so how do you do it without it moving back before you can retighten the bolts?

And won't the leaf centering pins prevent me from moving the axel even if I loosen everything up??

Please advise...I really could find anything regarding this in a search.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Taco's lean to the drivers side, it's natural.
Post this kinda stuff in newbie tech from now on to save yer ass from being flamed.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Ok, so I just bought new tires and wheels (Dick Cepek FCII 305/70-16 and MT Classic II.) After putting them on I noticed that one tire seems to sick out farther on the drivers side than the passengers by about an inch.

I crawled under the truck and took a look at the driveshaft. I could barely make out a slight lean towards the driver's side. I never noticed this before with the old tire and wheel setup (in my sig. below.)

It seems like the whole axel shifted or was moved when the new leafs were installed.

Would loosening all the leaf bolts and u-bolts and trying to push the axel over correct this problem??

If so how do you do it without it moving back before you can retighten the bolts?

And won't the leaf centering pins prevent me from moving the axel even if I loosen everything up??

Please advise...I really could find anything regarding this in a search.

Have you checked the backspacing on the wheels to make sure they are the same? It would seem that you may have a wider wheel or one with more backspacing on one side compared to the other. It’s unlikely that the rear leafs would force the rear axle over by as much as an inch... compare the bump stops to the bump perches and if they seem to be favoring one side (and if its an inch it should be blatantly obvious) , it would be a good indication that the axle location is the culprit.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 joel. I would first check the BS, then look for obvious misalignment of the axle side to side. There is about .25 inch of slop in the axle perch, not enough to cause what you are seeing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The leafs sit on welded perches, how could they shift? If they did you'd see the old spots your ubolts were in, they'd definatly take a little paint off if they moved.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The leafs sit on welded perches, how could they shift? If they did you'd see the old spots your ubolts were in, they'd definatly take a little paint off if they moved.
I think that what he is thinking is that the springs are leaning to one side, not that the spring perches have shifted or the springs on them...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats not what he asking... :rolleyes:
Thanks for getting my back on that....

Have you checked the backspacing on the wheels to make sure they are the same? It would seem that you may have a wider wheel or one with more backspacing on one side compared to the other. It’s unlikely that the rear leafs would force the rear axle over by as much as an inch... compare the bump stops to the bump perches and if they seem to be favoring one side (and if its an inch it should be blatantly obvious) , it would be a good indication that the axle location is the culprit.
I ordered the wheels at the same time and ordered 4 of the same wheel, so I would assume they had the same back spacing. I also checked my invoice and they are all the same.

A friend of mine is the shop foreman at the local Yota stealership. He told that you have to be careful with aftermarket leaf springs when installing them to make sure everything lines up. But my arguement is that they are self aligning... aren't they?? Because the centering pins would line everything up UNLESS.... the leaf eyes were bent i guess??

Any input?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

I ordered the wheels at the same time and ordered 4 of the same wheel, so I would assume they had the same back spacing. I also checked my invoice and they are all the same.

I understand why you would assume this but, as my drill sgt used to say...Assumtion is the mother of all fuck ups LOL :) I trust nothing and no one. Physically pull the wheels off the truck and check the BS. Just because the invoice says they are the same, doesn't mean they are the same parts in the box. This will eliminate that question and you can look for other causes. Start with the simple stuff, cause that is what usually gets you.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

I understand why you would assume this but, as my drill sgt used to say...Assumtion is the mother of all fuck ups LOL :) I trust nothing and no one. Physically pull the wheels off the truck and check the BS. Just because the invoice says they are the same, doesn't mean they are the same parts in the box. This will eliminate that question and you can look for other causes. Start with the simple stuff, cause that is what usually gets you.
x2

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

A friend of mine is the shop foreman at the local Yota stealership. He told that you have to be careful with aftermarket leaf springs when installing them to make sure everything lines up. But my arguement is that they are self aligning... aren't they?? Because the centering pins would line everything up UNLESS.... the leaf eyes were bent i guess??

Any input?

Thanks
Leaf spring installation is idiot proof, the only thing they could do wrong is put them on backwards and you would have noticed that right away ;) I still don't think the leafs are to blame but, it’s hard to tell from where I'm sitting... Pics?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I am surprised no one has mentioned the center pins. I'll explain in a minute. but first by all means you should check the back spacing on the wheels. Boxes and packaging can "lie"

After checking the back spacing. check your center pins, not that they are lining up, but the fact that they are still intact!

A few years back I had a center pin shear in half, drove on it that way for almost 2 months before I found the cause of the truck "crabbing down the road.

I know you did not say the truck is "crabbing" but you could get a laterial shift if one of the pins shears in just the right way.

When my center pin broke, the top half of the pin was holding the top two leafs together in one location, and the bottom half was holding the lower leafs and the spring perch about 1/2" back.

I picked up that you have after market leafs. Depending on brand, they may have used lower quality materials.Causing the pins to bend/break. Also, did you check the torque on the ubolts after installing the new leafs? they need to be retorked within about 500 miles after being installed.

Just a thought for you, something else to check.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I am surprised no one has mentioned the center pins. I'll explain in a minute. but first by all means you should check the back spacing on the wheels. Boxes and packaging can "lie"

After checking the back spacing. check your center pins, not that they are lining up, but the fact that they are still intact!

A few years back I had a center pin shear in half, drove on it that way for almost 2 months before I found the cause of the truck "crabbing down the road.

I know you did not say the truck is "crabbing" but you could get a laterial shift if one of the pins shears in just the right way.

When my center pin broke, the top half of the pin was holding the top two leafs together in one location, and the bottom half was holding the lower leafs and the spring perch about 1/2" back.

I picked up that you have after market leafs. Depending on brand, they may have used lower quality materials.Causing the pins to bend/break. Also, did you check the torque on the ubolts after installing the new leafs? they need to be retorked within about 500 miles after being installed.

Just a thought for you, something else to check.

I was get to this, but we needed to eliminate the obvious first. This is why I asked him to look at the relation between the bump stops and the frame bump perch for misalignment... But good point ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Damn good point bear. I should have thought of this also. I had a pin drop out of a 1 inch block and it pretty much did the same thing you are talking about, except it let the axle move rearwards about 1 inch. X2 JOEL good info also.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yep, same here. I think that is what is going on with my truck as well, after taking a 7 series BMW to the drivers side spring. I really need to tear it down and fix it since I think the axle is shifted .5 to .75 inches forward on that side :(

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yep, same here. I think that is what is going on with my truck as well, after taking a 7 series BMW to the drivers side spring. I really need to tear it down and fix it since I think the axle is shifted .5 to .75 inches forward on that side :(
IMO I wouldn't wait to check that one out...unless you like guard rails.:) Look at the u-bolts, it will be pretty obvious. They will biased to the front. Mine were biased to the rear, basically rotated a tad, like they had been pushed back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts