TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I wasnt so broke. But while I'm savin up some money and looking for a job (kinda), I figured I tear into the axle thats been sittin in my garage (that I hope to use for a SAS someday). I was pretty sure that as a whole it was good, but I might need new hubs and I'm sure it'l need new gaskets and seals and junk. For right now I'm focusing on just tearing the thing apart, since I have no money.

I just finished getting the hubs off. Those cone washers arent too hard to get off after you do 11 of em :mad: . I can tell someone has had both hubs off. They have some kinda sealer crap all over everything, and the hubs are kinda dinged up. But everything looks good and seems to turn smoothly. Now I just need to get a 54mm socket. I'm hoping my dad has one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
the parts store will sell you a cheeze one that is only good for setting the bearing preload during reassemble. for disassembly use a chisle and a hammer. pick a spot and strike the nut to spin it off. use the same areas to strike. you will marr the nut and groove it but that is why you should hit the same area.call me if i am not clear

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bearing preload isnt a whole lot. Clean the bearings up and check them. look for pits in the rollers. you will have to replace the oil seal though. I have never been able to get the stock ones out without destroying them. Are you going to pull the axles and check the diff for wear on the ring and pinion? You should so you can figure out the gear ratio. If so I would clean out the mass amounts of grease in the steering knuckle and replace with high temp stuff. Replace the rubber gaskets and felts also. Don't forget to check the trunion bearings while you are there! DO NOT MIX UP THE SPACERS BETWEEN THE KNUCKLE AND THE STEERING ARMS! They are used to set the trunion bearing preload.

Pull the steering studs out of the knuckle and clean the stud threads very well and reinstall with locktight. X-over steering has a tendincy to loosin the studs. Replacing the studs is a better idea because the threads get pulled over time and do not torque as well as they are supposed to.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I plan on pullin everything out and cleaning the whole thing. Not sure what I'm gona do yet about putting it back together. Since I dont have any money I'll probably leave it apart until I know what I'm going to do with it. I could sell it, put it back as is, put a locker in it, longfields, etc etc. Just too many options, not enough money.

·
Registered
412 Posts
To check a gear-set’s ratio, count the number of teeth on the ring-gear, and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion. For example, a 4.10 gear-set will have 41 ring-gear teeth and 10 pinion teeth. The number of teeth will also be stamped on both the ring-gear (Figure 12, blue circle) and on the shaft of the pinion.

look at me...I'm a web wheeler now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts