TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I have been reading on a bunch of sites that the newer tacos (03) with the B07A code is a 4.30 axle ratio. However, I ran mine in 4th with the tach at 3300, and put it in a calculator with 30, 30.2 and 30.6 for the tire size. It came out to around 4.56. Has anyone had an axle apart to count teeth and confirm this? If so, that is pretty cool, since that is lower than I thought. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you have an open Diff.

Jack one wheel up.

Mark a line on your driveshaft and on the third member.

mark your tire and use something straight on the ground where you marked your tire. ( I used a doorstop )

Turn your tire 2 full evolutions

Count how many times your driveshaft spins.

Just over 4 = 4.10 - 4 and a quarter turns = 4.3 - 4 and a 1/2 = 4.56

If it is locked jack both wheels up.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Sounds like you have a 2.7 /w 5 sp.?

Your tire numbers will likely introduce error in your calcs unless you confirmed thier actual size by measuring. Tire sizes are usually "we wish the tires were this size, but we're trying to save money, so we'll make them much smaller" in nature. So if you think you have a 30" tire, it could be up to an inch smaller.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know the jack-it-up method, and I know about the measured size method, I was just curious if anyone had taken one apart and actually counted teeth(for what ever reason). Yeah, it is a 2.7 5sp. Nice truck, mudferret. How much actual lift does your setup measure?

·
Registered
530 Posts
tacoted said:
Hey, guys. I have been reading on a bunch of sites that the newer tacos (03) with the B07A code is a 4.30 axle ratio. However, I ran mine in 4th with the tach at 3300, and put it in a calculator with 30, 30.2 and 30.6 for the tire size. It came out to around 4.56. Has anyone had an axle apart to count teeth and confirm this? If so, that is pretty cool, since that is lower than I thought. :D

if you have a 2.7L /5speed / reg. or x-tra cab = 4.30

2.7L/auto / reg. cab =4.56

this is for the 2000 taco model with the b07a code

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where did you guys get that it is 4.30s? I have read that, but has anyone confirmed it? Also, I didn't know that the auto came with 4.56s

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
correct, 4.30s with the 07 code unless you have a prerunner AT. I've seen a few of them with that ratio and the AT.
2.7 4x4 ATs should be 4.56 for '00 and up. But, there are still some gen 2 trucks with other ratios.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
tacoted said:
I am looking at about 2" with 31s to clear snow chains without any problems.
Okay, stop right there. Lift a little bit more, and put on some 32's, then worry about clearing those chains :)

881's, plus a trim/side would give you room enough for both. If you're going to make an investment, you might as well maximize your buck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My chains fit 31s. This is my daily driver. I have an old ford for offroading. :eek:
Thanks, shocker, I figured someone had it open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts