TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a set of 285/75/r16 tires to put on my 99 Extra Cab. I was wondering what a good backspacing would be for these tires. Would I be able to pick up a set of 4 Runner rims and be good, or if I go with Steelies, what spacing would I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
3.75 would probably be best

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
jtaco1 said:
I am looking to get a set of 285/75/r16 tires to put on my 99 Extra Cab. I was wondering what a good backspacing would be for these tires. Would I be able to pick up a set of 4 Runner rims and be good, or if I go with Steelies, what spacing would I need.

Thanks
the 285s are only 1" wider than stock 10.50s so all you need is a 1/2" difference in BS. The 7" OE rims have 4.5" so 4.0" would work well to keep the tire off the spindle tower near the upper ball joint as well as keeping from rubbing the frame on full-lock turns.

Just be aware that the farther your tires stick out (less backspacing) the more lift you need to help the tires clear the fenders. One way to experiment before you buy is to get a front and a rear tire to 'stuff' up into the fender and then measure the amount of clearance you have. If you have more than 1" at full 'stuff' you should be fine with the 285s on 4.0 bs rims. (1/2" wider tire + 1/2" less bs)

An 8" rim with stock 4.5" bs will stick out 1" farther then a 7" but that won't matter much with the 285s (11.4" width)

if you stick with 7" OE rims you'll need 1/4" wheel spacers to keep the tires off the spindle towers, especially when aired down.

what lift do you have?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So pretty much the same as with a 15 inch rim. I was going to use on that is 8 inches wide, so now that I think about it, it would be the same as a 15 incher.

Thanks Guys

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
jtaco1 said:
So pretty much the same as with a 15 inch rim. I was going to use on that is 8 inches wide, so now that I think about it, it would be the same as a 15 incher.

Thanks Guys
285/75s are 16" tires and there is no 15" equivalent. For 15s you go with either 33x10.50 or 33x12.50 with most tire brands. The wider 12.50s require more lift to clear the fenders than do the 10.50s. I've seen a couple odd-ball 33x11.50s, however, but nothing I would ever want to run.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
jtaco1 said:

Thanks
What lift are you going with?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 3 inch body now, but am adding OME881 coils and struts upfront, and I'm gonna be building a custom pack for the back to match the front. So I should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 inches lift total. I have the factory 99 fender flares and the tires are just inside of them, so the 285/75's should sit nicely. I chose these because I don't like how wide the 12.50 width looks with only 33 inches tall, looks better with a 35 in my opinion.

"An 8" rim with stock 4.5" bs will stick out 1" farther then a 7" but that won't matter much with the 285s (11.4" width)" Hytenor

So if I can find a set of 16x8 with in the neighborhood of 4 to 4.5 inches back spacing I would be ok. Would a set of say 1999 or 2000 4 Runner rims work.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
jtaco1 said:
I have a 3 inch body now, but am adding OME881 coils and struts upfront, and I'm gonna be building a custom pack for the back to match the front. So I should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 inches lift total. I have the factory 99 fender flares and the tires are just inside of them, so the 285/75's should sit nicely. I chose these because I don't like how wide the 12.50 width looks with only 33 inches tall, looks better with a 35 in my opinion.

"An 8" rim with stock 4.5" bs will stick out 1" farther then a 7" but that won't matter much with the 285s (11.4" width)" Hytenor

So if I can find a set of 16x8 with in the neighborhood of 4 to 4.5 inches back spacing I would be ok. Would a set of say 1999 or 2000 4 Runner rims work.
Ok, that setup should work for you. the 881s on the 2.7 will give you about 2" after settling. you can add a couple trim pks or a 1" spacer kit after full settling to regain the initial 3". If you don't have manual hubs, however, that 3" will cause you some CV boot problems. Hi-angle boots are available from Downey or CV Unlimited for around $50/axle.

You may be able to pick up a set of OE 7x16s from the f/s section for cheap but you'll need some 1/4" wheel spacers to make the 285s work. But, with your body lift you may not need this at all so try the tires without spacers first.

If you look into the BFG 33x10.50s you can run them on stock 7x15s with only 2-2.5" of lift with very minimal rubbing. I have had these tires for over 2 yrs now.

now, you'll need to consider regearing for those 33s and that ain't cheap.
you need to figure out what gears you have now. check your driver's side door panel for a set of codes. look for one starting with RZN___ and another with BO__ and post them. the 2.7s came with 6 different gear ratios...thanks Toyota. Unless you have 4.30 or 4.56 gears (not likely with a '99) you will experience Yugo performance on 33s.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hytenor,

Luckily the front set up I bought has already settled and has two trimpakers in there already, so I shouldn' t need to mess with them. I thought about the 33x10.50R15, but I don't like how skinny they look. I was looking at a 4Runner with 285's on today and comparing it to my 31's and I like the way they look. As for re-gearing, I have the TRD package so I have 4.11 gears. I am really only going to be using the 285's for wheeling, I may get a set of 32x11.50's or just keep the 31's I have now for regular driving. I have an old Jetta to use as a DD that is getting 44 MPG, so that helps a lot.

Thanks for your help.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
jtaco1 said:
I have the TRD package so I have 4.11 gears.
not necessarily since you have the 2.7. All v6 TRDs came with 4.10s regardless of tranny but not all the 2.7 TRDs. That said, my guess would be that you in fact have 4.10s since thats what came on 5-sps with 235 size tires until '00, then 4.30s were standard and the factory tire size went to 265s. I assume you got your truck with 265s (31s) and thats what many of them got but the 4.10 ratio in the 2.7s was designed for 235s and not the 265s that started showing up on trucks. If you have the AT you may actually have 4.56s but you'll have to check your door codes to find out.

4.10s, the 2.7 and 33s is a joke, frankly. When I regeared to from stock 4.30s to 4.56s for my 33s I quickly discovered I should have listened to my neighbor and gone with 4.88s which is what I have now.

I know what you mean on the 285s looking better. If BFG made 33x11.50s I would run them. These 10.50s have gotten my in and out of some tough spots and I like not having to have much lift.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I have the factory invoice and it says 4.10's, sorry the 4.11 is from my FJ40's. But I am looking at using the 285's for offroad and shows, while using what I have now or 32's for DD.

THanks

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
jtaco1 said:
Yeah I have the factory invoice and it says 4.10's, sorry the 4.11 is from my FJ40's. But I am looking at using the 285's for offroad and shows, while using what I have now or 32's for DD.

THanks
the invoice as well as Toyota's website will say that ALL AT Tacomas have 4.10s and ALL 5-sps have 3.91s regardless of engine. This is only true for the v6 trucks, not the 2.7 rigs. This has been pointed out to them for over 3 yrs now and they still haven't figured it out and corrected the error. you probably do have 4.10s BUT going by the invoice is not the way to confirm it.

either way, you will have trouble with those gears and 33s since they were designed to pull 28" tires with the 2.7 so good luck.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, we'll see how it goes, but like I said they won't be used for DD too much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts