TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched a bit and discovered that Scuba runs his with 3.75 inch of backspacing. I believe these will fit up front and clear the A-arm.

Summit Racing $55

84 D Series, Steel, Black, 16.0 in. x 8.0 in., 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Circle, 4.000 in. Backspace

They are not hubcentric (I don't know how big of a deal that is)

I have 2.5 inch of suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift. I will trim if needed.

Thanks in advance

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
3.75... min.

3.50 max... if you want to radius the fenders (keeps it off the frame more)

I believe Steve tub'd his firewall/inner fender as well

your 2" BL might clear tho'... I dunno

·
Registered
272 Posts
Scuba's tires also rub the heck out of his frame... I would say 3.25" or 3.5".

I will be running 315s on a 3" lift soon, and have been test fitting different backspacing for a 9" rim. You said you'll have an 8" rim which means your tire will be about a 1/2" closer to the frame than mine will with the same backspacing. I will be running 3.25 backspacing and will still be rubbing the frame a bit. I discovered that 2.5" backspacing would effectivley eliminate rubbing on the frame at full lock/full stuff w/ a 9" rim. (I would have tub like CRAZY but I wouldn't mind too much...) The problem with that much backspacing is that it creates TREMENDOUS wear on the hubs and I'd have to change them out like every 10k miles. So I decided a little rubbing on the frame is ok... plus I won't have to tub quite as much. :dunno:

Also, even with the 2" BL you will most likely have to tub the firewall to completely eliminate rubbing off-road....:2cents:

If you don't want to tub, you may want to stick with 3.75" and just deal with the frame rubbing. It's not bad, you just won't be able to turn the wheel all the way! lol ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Im running 3.75" bs with 1/4" spacers. so overall 3.5" effective bs. I have to trim the upper a arms too. 4.00" will not work, however the oem wheels works if you buy 1.5" wheel spacers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was under the impression that you couldn't (or perhaps just shouldn't) mount a 315/75/16 on a 7 inch wide rim. That would be the easiest solution for me since I actually have those still on the truck and could just order some spacers.

Are you running spacers in the back as well?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other thing, for right now I just want to get these on for the street. The 285/75/16 tires on the truck (on the stock wheels) are now pretty much close to being junked.
The last time I really went wheeling was at Takeover 2010 in Big Bear. My son is five now and I want to start up again in a couple of months.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
i ran 15X8.5's with my 35 12.5 15's and rubbed the frame. even with a 1/4 inch spacer i still rubbed and thats just sitting there. flexed hard with the wheel cranked the lugs would grab the frame hard enough to lock that tire up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:doh:

In that case.... wgasa :shame:
Pretty funny, I never realized that wgasa (I think his name is Chris) was an acronym for anything. Thanks for enlightening me.

Please don't misunderstand me Dell. I just wanted to figure out if by having wheels with the most correct backspacing if it would solve a decent amount of the problem. Hell,with the 2" body lift I never even had to beat on the pinch weld to fit the 33s. So I either want to get some wheels that will clear the tires off of the A-arm and be able to mostly turn the wheels or say F-it and stick to 33s (or maybe a 34).

I am not adverse to :saw:, I just would like to do it as little as possible and get the tires on to see what I need to do

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pretty funny, I never realized that wgasa (I think his name is Chris) was an acronym for anything. Thanks for enlightening me.

Please don't misunderstand me Dell. I just wanted to figure out if by having wheels with the most correct backspacing if it would solve a decent amount of the problem. Hell,with the 2" body lift I never even had to beat on the pinch weld to fit the 33s. So I either want to get some wheels that will clear the tires off of the A-arm and be able to mostly turn the wheels or say F-it and stick to 33s (or maybe a 34).

I am not adverse to :saw:, I just would like to do it as little as possible and get the tires on to see what I need to do
Jertruax,
You state you are currently running 33's, great. If you don't mind, I have a few questions for you:
1. Are you running the stock UCA?
2. Do you have a BL?... amount/height?
3. What wheels are you running w/33's?
4. Additional BS amount (spacer) if any?

I am looking to install 33's on the stock steel (spare) wheels. I want to eliminate any/all issues before I get the tires.

Thanks.
Later

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 285/75/16 ATs
I'm running with stock UCAs.
I do have a 2 inch body lift and SAWs cranked at about 2 1/2 inches.
Stock TRD alloys (the star ones) without spacers.

I haven't went out much with these but I did run John Bull, Gold Mtn, and Dishpan Springs.

Looking at my frame there is a very slight amount of wear rear of the UCAs (but I could have done that before the BL while running 32/11.5/15 MTs)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have 285/75/16 ATs
I'm running with stock UCAs.
I do have a 2 inch body lift and SAWs cranked at about 2 1/2 inches.
Stock TRD alloys (the star ones) without spacers.

I haven't went out much with these but I did run John Bull, Gold Mtn, and Dishpan Springs.

Looking at my frame there is a very slight amount of wear rear of the UCAs (but I could have done that before the BL while running 32/11.5/15 MTs)
Thanks for the reply.
Do you need the BL to eliminate the rubbing issues w/33's?

Later.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the body lift about 3 years before I even put the 33s on, so I can't recall.

Part of the reason that I could fit the 35s without that much trouble was because I seem to have lot's of room with the 33s on (they look kinda little on it).
I do remember a little rubbing in the rear at full stuff with the 32inch MTs But that may have been with only the 7 leaf Deavers ( also am running the stock bumpstops).

·
Registered
363 Posts
I installed the body lift about 3 years before I even put the 33s on, so I can't recall.

Part of the reason that I could fit the 35s without that much trouble was because I seem to have lot's of room with the 33s on (they look kinda little on it).
I do remember a little rubbing in the rear at full stuff with the 32inch MTs But that may have been with only the 7 leaf Deavers ( also am running the stock bumpstops).
Thanks again for the reply.
OK, I wheel with a group of Jeep guys. Getting technical advice from them is of no help.... so, I want to install 33's. I have extended Icon's, TC UCA's, Deaver 8 pack & Icon reservoirs for the rear. No BL and will not install one.

That said, with my stock 16X7 steelies, which clear the Tundra brake up-grade, in your opinion & from what you have experienced, do you think I will have any issues running 33's?

Thanks.

LAter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My personal opinion is no. However Dell or one of the other guys are more knowledgeable, but i think Dell got pissed at me or something and probably isn't checking this thread anymore. You really should PM him.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My personal opinion is no. However Dell or one of the other guys are more knowledgeable, but i think Dell got pissed at me or something and probably isn't checking this thread anymore. You really should PM him.
Thanks for the info.

Later.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Currently running 305/70R16's on coil overs set at 3" in front, and 1.5" AAL in rear, wheels are 16x8 BS is only 4" i only rub barely at full turn left or right. no cutting, no BL on the truck. its a 01 ext cab. I'm thinking about getting a 1/4" spacer just to see about it not rubbing the frame at full turn. Heard bad things about spacers on our trucks tho, kinda worried to try it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts