TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a really bad lean to the drivers side and dont know if an add a leaf will correct it or if i need new leaf packs? im planning on 2.0 SAW in the future but dont know if deavers or dakars are in the budget.

oh yeah, im currently running a 2" poly spacer and 1" downey shackles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds like you have the tacoma lean going on. THat is very common due to the extra weight from the gas tank, battery, and driver all being on one side. Add a leafs might help but a new leaf pack would be the better option. Just save up a little longer and you will be glad you did in the end.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
The 2.0 SAW coilovers will fix that. All you have to do is crank the dr side up to correct the lean. You don't specify what year your truck is. New aftermarket leafs for the Tacoma's have a dr side and pass side leaf for this exact reason. Check the dr leaf pack for cracked leafs too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, ill have to check for the cracked leafs.
so if im understanding this right, the cranked up coilovers will also help level out the lean in the rear as well?

also, my truck is a 99 x-cab V6 TRD if that helps at all.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
hmmm, ill have to check for the cracked leafs.
so if im understanding this right, the cranked up coilovers will also help level out the lean in the rear as well?

also, my truck is a 99 x-cab V6 TRD if that helps at all.
IMO it is not good to compensate for bad leafs by adjusting out the front CO's. Fix the source of the problem first. :2cents:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from what ive read the source of the problem is bad location of the battery and gas tank and i dont think i have much choice in where that is located without alot of work and $$$. i have heard of a 1" block on the driver side but that doesnt sound like a good way to fix it either. im thinking new leaf packs are the only way to fix it proporly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
cranking the C/Os higher wont help the bed lean, i have the same problem, but im saving for new leafs/shocks, and getting rid of the blocks! :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
So, to hijack this thread without starting a new one:

I have the same problem on my 2000 Prerunner Reg. Cab, it's stock. I'm looking at getting a lift anyway, so is the best thing just to buy something like Wheelers 5 Leaf Tacoma Leaf Spring Set along with getting a new shackle to get another 1" lift (about 2.5" lift total), and then getting the OME 881 Front Coil Spring Set for the front?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 99' extra cab v6 and DR coils up front and 9 leaf deavers in the back and still have the lean. I'm just used to it now. Sure it buggs but what else can we do?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
IMO it is not good to compensate for bad leafs by adjusting out the front CO's. Fix the source of the problem first. :2cents:
True... But even with new springs the lean may be there...

cranking the C/Os higher wont help the bed lean, i have the same problem, but im saving for new leafs/shocks, and getting rid of the blocks! :)
Wrong... You don't crank both... just the preload on the drivers side if you lean to that side... it will push down on the opposing side in the rear...

Too much preload may give you an uneven ride feel though... so only go just enough... to get it close...

I have the 99' extra cab v6 and DR coils up front and 9 leaf deavers in the back and still have the lean. I'm just used to it now. Sure it buggs but what else can we do?
Either you order new springs with about 1/2" more arch to them for the drivers side... Or in the case of my production 8 LF Deavers which are of equal arch... a slight more pre load on the Drivers side coil can compensate... that and if you carry a load in the bed... ie... Hi lift and such... mount it to the opposing side of the bed and it'll compensate some...

Mine sits level in the rear with the equal Deaver spring rates in the rear...

Off setting weight and and a slight preload and all is good...

When the Deavers get rebuilt... the drivers side will get a little more arch worked into them...

·
Registered
324 Posts
i would loose weight, try trim spa, or jennie craig.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts