TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine with a gen 1 SC had the nose drive grinding, he ordered a rebuilt one from the dealer, has anybody replaced the nose drive??? do you need to remove the SC or can you just unbolt and install the new nose without yanking the whole unit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 1st Gen... I think your buddy will need to pull it. If he doesn't, there will be nose oil all over the front of the engine, let alone getting the oil back in after the new drive is on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure what gen. Charger I have but it is Black. Anyway I have oil leaking out of the nose cone. I guess it is time to replace or rebuild. I also need some info on this.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Black is the second gen kit the first gen kits were gray. If I were you guys, I would call Magnuson before I went through the markup supply chain that the dealership has to go through.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You can replace the nose drive on the gen 1 supercharger without removing the supercharger from the engine, but it is a PITA and you really don't save much time.

You will need to remove the top radiator hose and then the top timing belt cover. Then stuff a big towel under the seam where the nose drive bolts to the supercharger.

Then unbolt it and crack it loose. About 5 oz of oil will spill out and you can catch it all in the towel.

Now you understand you can not put the new oil in with the nose drive on the supercharger because the fill plug is on the underside of the nose drive. What I did was drill and tap a hole in the nose drive for an 1/8" NPT plug on the top side. Once the new nose drive was bolted in place, I removed the plug and poured in the new oil.

I also fabbed a dip stick so I can pull the plug and see if the oil level has gone down and I can top it up as needed, or suck it out and change it when I want to.

The black Gen II superchargers have the fill plug on the front side so you can do this more easilly.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Hey, that's not a bad idea, Steve. Drilling and tapping for a new fill plug that is. Duh, now why didn't I think of doing that when I had it off, damn it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the input, i trying to talk him in to URD's kit, sounds like a good time to do it....

·
Registered
14 Posts
How did you get to the instructions on the TRD site. I hav'nt been able to even find the Parts for the gen II If someone has this please help

thanks Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts