TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with a rotation or rattle type sound.

Bout 4 weeks ago I upgraded my exhaust. I went with a new system from the manifold back. New cat, new 2.5” pipe and 27” magnaflow muffler. I can post pic if needed.

The first time I drove over 55 I heard what sounded to me like a rotational noise coming from the underside of the truck. Something that sounds bad, like one would not want to take the truck on a long road trip. The sound resembles a rock stuck in the tread of the tire. I did not think it could be the new exhaust so after failing to find the cause myself I took the truck to my local 4-wheel shop and had them check it out. We put the truck up on the rack and spun the truck up to 60 miles per hour and heard no sound. We then put the truck back on the ground and jacked it up using the rear dif as a jacking point (thinking that perhaps having weight on the suspension would recreate the noise) and spun the truck up to 60, still no noise. Then I took the tech out on the road and was able to recreate the noise as the noise happens every time I drive over 50. We took the rear drums of and found everything to look healthy. We took the front wheels off and inspected everything… looks good. We pulled, shook and inspected all of the drive-line components… looks good. I am thinking of going to a smog shop and running the car on the rollers to see if I can reproduce the sound that way.

I can hear it most when I open the rear window. The noise sounds like it coming from the middle of the truck, the same spot as all of the new exhaust components. I have crawled under the truck to pull, yank and shake the exhaust, but can find nothing loose or anything that looks like a culprit of the noise. The only reason I think it may be the new exhaust is the fact that the first day the new exhaust was on the truck I heard the noise for the first time.

Saturday I am to bring the truck the exhaust shop to have him look at it. Any ideas would help. Thanks in advance….
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Had that noise on mine since almost new. Never figured it out. I would check o2 sensor flanges,muffler welds, and the mainfolds for sure.

More than likely I am hearing an exhaust leak in my headers or elsewhere hard to reach. Other than that I rode in a completely stock Tacoma with similar mileage as mine and it had a raspy ticky sound to it as well anytimie the gas was applied. Maybe it is a similar sound coming from all of the Tacos.

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
samsc03 said:
Had that noise on mine since almost new. Never figured it out. I would check o2 sensor flanges,muffler welds, and the mainfolds for sure.

More than likely I am hearing an exhaust leak in my headers or elsewhere hard to reach. Other than that I rode in a completely stock Tacoma with similar mileage as mine and it had a raspy ticky sound to it as well anytimie the gas was applied. Maybe it is a similar sound coming from all of the Tacos.

Sam
Thanks for the reply. I hate to hear you have had a similar sound all along. I have 117,000 miles and have never heard this sound before.

I will check all exhaust parts flanges ….. I was thinking it is not a leak as the sound would not reproduce with the truck on the rack. Hmm… maybe something wind related?
Just for kicks I think I will have my wheels balanced before Saturday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
lake out your catalytic converter and shake it around. mine was really bad till i replaced it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
elliot_irwin said:
lake out your catalytic converter and shake it around. mine was really bad till i replaced it.
I have heard that sometimes internal parts can come loose and make noises like the one I am experiencing.

Thanks for the reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
My guess is exhaust leak. I have the same sound and conditions as you and I know that at the front of the cat there is a leak. I can put my hand under it while running and feel the pulsing exhaust. Luckily I am putting a new cat on with new gaskets anyway. It looks like the old gasket cracked or something. I would put money on exhaust leak, turn the truck on and then go up and down the exhaust around welds/connections and feel for pulsing hot air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
So when looking for exhaust leaks, I know about feeling with your hand but what about places your hand can't go,like my up near the y-pipe? Looks leaky but can't even fit my little hands up there to feel around for sure.

There is a little black spot on the back of the motor in front of the y-pipe and I think that it from my nagging leak. So how could I find out if it is leaky right there? This could help Bent Wheel too if there are answers.

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DentedTacoma said:
My guess is exhaust leak. I have the same sound and conditions as you and I know that at the front of the cat there is a leak. I can put my hand under it while running and feel the pulsing exhaust. Luckily I am putting a new cat on with new gaskets anyway. It looks like the old gasket cracked or something. I would put money on exhaust leak, turn the truck on and then go up and down the exhaust around welds/connections and feel for pulsing hot air.

Thanks Dent,

I will look for a leak.

I can’t figure how the sound would happen only while driving over 50 mph. If it were a leak I would think I would hear it with the truck up on the rack with the wheels spinning over 50 mph.

Thanks again I will run my hands all over the system with a friend in the truck revving the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
Just to clarify, don't burn the shit out of your hands. Just check for leaks while not touching the exhaust. It just sounded like you were little excited when you mentioned you were going to "rub your hands all over the system".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DentedTacoma said:
Just to clarify, don't burn the shit out of your hands. Just check for leaks while not touching the exhaust. It just sounded like you were little excited when you mentioned you were going to "rub your hands all over the system".
Rubbing my hands all over the system may get me exited, but I was planning on doing this with a cold system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DentedTacoma said:
My guess is exhaust leak. I have the same sound and conditions as you and I know that at the front of the cat there is a leak. I can put my hand under it while running and feel the pulsing exhaust. Luckily I am putting a new cat on with new gaskets anyway. It looks like the old gasket cracked or something. I would put money on exhaust leak, turn the truck on and then go up and down the exhaust around welds/connections and feel for pulsing hot air.

Yo Dent,

Thanks again.
Found it, and I didn’t even get burned.

On the front side of the catalytic converter I felt a leak.

Puff puff puff puff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
samsc03 said:
So when looking for exhaust leaks, I know about feeling with your hand but what about places your hand can't go,like my up near the y-pipe? Looks leaky but can't even fit my little hands up there to feel around for sure.

There is a little black spot on the back of the motor in front of the y-pipe and I think that it from my nagging leak. So how could I find out if it is leaky right there? This could help Bent Wheel too if there are answers.

Sam
If you can see it..
Start with a cold motor and spray the area with a strong soap and water mix and look for bubbles if it is a small leak or other obvious signs if a big leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found the noise. It was not the exhaust leak. Turns out I have a slightly bent driver side rear axle. Sure helps having friends brave enough to ride in the bed of the truck to pinpoint the noise.
Shoot, I bought this whole rear end from a salvage yard in Sacramento in 03 (just because I wanted a trd e-locker) and it took this long for the bent axle to rear its ugly head. (weekend truck) Be careful what you by at a salvage yard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, if you want to waste your money you can ether flush it down the drain of simply give it to me to dump into my truck, both would be about the same.


So, I spent $100.00 at the 4x shop, they took apart the rear drums and did a basic safety check, test drove it and found nothing.

Then I spent $130.00 at the stealership, they told me that I had a bent axle and I needed to have it removed and sent out to a machine shop for analysis and also have the stealership change out the wheel bearings, seals. ( I had a small oil leak at driver side seal). They also told me that I as a result of the “bent axle” I probably have damaged my differential gears and will need to replace them as well. They could give me no cost on this but they estimated $1,600.00 without new gears for starters, and claimed they could not guarantee that this would fix the loud ticking sound from under the truck. But hey, it would be a good start.

So I went back to the 4x shop to have them check the axle in question with a run-out gauge, they found it to be straight.

We did however find that there was a component of my new trick one piece driveline (I installed in 03) that I have never lubed. Yes, I lubed all of the zerch fittings but never have I lubed the centering device between the double cardan. It seems there is a hidden lube port one can’t get to till one were to drop the rear portion of the driveline so as to break open like a shotgun the inner portion of the double cardan. So I sent it out to the drive shaft shop for a replacement,thinking that the never lubed and thrashed centering bearing may have some play in it, and so making it the culprit of the noise. $200.00, nope not the cause.

Since I had an oil leak at the rear axle I decided to have the 4x shop change out the axle seals and the wheel bearing on the leaky side. This is a big job and requires a press and lots of time. $500.00, nope, not the cause.

Damn, I just had the wheels balanced a few months ago, can’t be that, but WTF, why not give it a try. I have lifetime balancing and rotation for free so why not. Hmm… by the way the last time I had my wheels balanced the skinny little kid decided to put all of the weights on the inside of the wheels and not on both sides as I have always done. The skinny little kid told me this would be just fine and it “looks” a lot better.

I am under the impression that one needs to put the weights on both sides of the wheel for a more accurate balance, especially on big mud tires requiring a ton of weight, especially when that is what the machine calls for.

So, I went back to the tire shop to rebalance and put the weights on both sides.
Well damn, ….. free wheel balance and rotation fixed the problem.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top