TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overnight I have adopted a bad front end vibration. It is very noticable at highway speeds (60mph). I am thinking it is a slipped belt, but it seems to come and go. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no noise, it doesn't feel like the steering wheel is pulling...

it gets bad enough to make the dash make a bit of noise

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Check your tire pressure, make sure there's nothing jammed in your tires or stuck to the surface of some part your rims(such as ice if you live in a cold environment where you still have ice/snow on the ground... which I presume you do since you live in Ontario).

Many a time I will go do donuts in a parking lot or snow wheeling in some fields and then my truck shakes like a bastard on the highway because there is ice clumps stuck to the inside of my rim, and they are throwing the balancing off. I suppose ice could also be stuck to your driveshaft or even CV's and have the same effect.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want to say it feels like the front right side...

any ideas why the shake at different speeds every time?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Are you saying that your steering wheel has absolutely no corresponding vibration, or are you saying it isn't pulling? Those are two very different things.

Steering wheel vibration would lead me to look at the front rotating mass (tire bubble, thrown wheel weight, bent rim, hub bearing, etc.

A vibration in the vehicle (vs. the wheel) would lead me to look at rear rotating mass and/or the drivetrain.

So...?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does it come and go or is it at all speeds every time?
comes and goes

for example,

today i am going 110, starts to vibe.... i slow down it continues to vibe and fades out

five minutes later, 110 no vibe....

i will need to pay more attention, but i think it is more a steering wheel vibe than an entire truck vibe....

it is like a nice massage....

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
it is like a nice massage....
Then leave it alone. :D

Seriously, if it's more noticeable at speed and felt in the wheel, just get the tires balance checked- if you haven't hit a curb or something to bend a wheel, it's probably just a thrown weight.

Eliminate the tires from the equation and continue if necessary.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i checked the tread and rims and can't find any abnormalities...

in the meantime, i plan to go to cosco to get my tires rebalanced and rotated.

i will have them inspect for signs of a slipped belt.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then leave it alone. :D

Seriously, if it's more noticeable at speed and felt in the wheel, just get the tires balance checked- if you haven't hit a curb or something to bend a wheel, it's probably just a thrown weight.

Eliminate the tires from the equation and continue if necessary.
can i check driveline vibe by jacking the ass end up on stands and running it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Does the vibe go away after you have been driving around for a while? Might just be the tires working out a sub zero temp flat spot. This happens in colder climates. After the tire gets up to operating temp, it loses the flat spot. Used to happen to me when I lived in the midwest. Just my best guess.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
rock taped to your front driveline ....:D

just a thought... just did that to a buddy last night, he'll be wonderin WTF is wrong with his yota now too....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the vibe go away after you have been driving around for a while? Might just be the tires working out a sub zero temp flat spot. This happens in colder climates. After the tire gets up to operating temp, it loses the flat spot. Used to happen to me when I lived in the midwest. Just my best guess.:2cents:
no, it seems to happen when it warms up too

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You're SOL bud. Probably a shifting belt then.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
ive had a vibe in mine for about 2 months now (2000 ext cab 4x4). mine is between 70-90 km/h and is acting exactly like yours. i get up to speed the vibe comes (i can see tailgate vibrating in rearview), when i slow down it continues to a point then goes away. just like yours it only sometimes happens although its getting more frequent.

step 1 i checked all the rear susp bolts and the u bolts and torqued them to spec, still vibes. step 2 changed the winter tires and rims over to the summers. while doing this i noticed my drivers side rear drum had a lot of drag (i could not turn it w the tire off but could w effort w tire on). w the summer wheels/tires on the truck drove straight (pulled to right w winters) but still vibes so i solved a seperate problem. i could not pull the drum off when changing the tires and did not have time to f around. i start work today and will have to deal with it next week (short drive so it should be ok for a couple days).

anyways im hoping that this solves the problem once and for all. by the way i run ome dakars w comfort shocks and an allpro u bolt flip.

let us know how u resolve your vibe.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive had a vibe in mine for about 2 months now (2000 ext cab 4x4). mine is between 70-90 km/h and is acting exactly like yours. i get up to speed the vibe comes (i can see tailgate vibrating in rearview), when i slow down it continues to a point then goes away. just like yours it only sometimes happens although its getting more frequent.

step 1 i checked all the rear susp bolts and the u bolts and torqued them to spec, still vibes. step 2 changed the winter tires and rims over to the summers. while doing this i noticed my drivers side rear drum had a lot of drag (i could not turn it w the tire off but could w effort w tire on). w the summer wheels/tires on the truck drove straight (pulled to right w winters) but still vibes so i solved a seperate problem. i could not pull the drum off when changing the tires and did not have time to f around. i start work today and will have to deal with it next week (short drive so it should be ok for a couple days).

anyways im hoping that this solves the problem once and for all. by the way i run ome dakars w comfort shocks and an allpro u bolt flip.

let us know how u resolve your vibe.
just got everything rotated and rebalanced...

i will find out on Sunday as I will be driving into TO...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts