TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 Tacoma that is making a grinding noise from the drivers side, front tire. The noise only happens when the front differential is engaged. I have manual hubs and if I just lock those in, by themselves, no differential, there is no noise. There is also no noise when I drive around in 2wd. It's an intermittent metal grinding sound. I'm wondering if the wheel bearing is going bad but, it seems like that noise would occur whether I'm in 2wd or 4wd. It could also be the needle bearings where the CV axle inserts into the front diff. ECGS has a replacement bearing for that but, not for the manual hubs like I have. Not sure why there would be a difference between auto and manual but, that's what their site says.

Another option is it could be the needle bearings in the wheel hub where the splined CV axle inserts into the hub? That would explain why there is no noise like you'd typically get from the wheel bearing going bad.

Sorry...I originally thought that the noise happened without the hub being locked, well...it happens with the hub being locked, perhaps even more so.

Any ideas?

Thx.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
22,475 Posts
So you only get the noise when in 4WD or hubs locked? That rules out wheel bearing. Could be an issue in the hub or with the CV. With the hub unlocked, what happens when you rotate the CV by hand?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the noise only happens when shifted into 4wd or if the hubs are locked. No noise otherwise.
I'm leaning towards it being the needle bearings in the inner hub. These:

I would think these only are engaged when the CV axle spins.

I'll have to go check on your question later, getting some hard rains today. I'll let you know what I learn.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts