TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a 2004 tacoma, 3in suspension lift, and im running 33'' trxus M/T's. I hate them. maybe i just got spoiled because my first set of offroad tires were baja claws. i upgraded from a 31 claw to the 33 truxus, about 4 months ago and the drive very nice on road but offroad they just dont have the bite i need. i used to be able to tackle some tough hills with little or no wheelspin with the claws, but with the trxus i can barely make them. they perform well on the rocks but in the mud, the dont grab good, and the definately have no conrol, specially hard packed slippery mud. so thats my review of the trxus m/t, now my question Baja Claws or Swamper TSL, im looking to get a radial tire because this is my daily driver. so i wanna kno what u guys think. i liked my claws but i've never had any experience with the TSL radial so i dont kno which one to get? help, thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
One vote for CLAWS they rock out in the mud Never had Tsls though so I can't really compare I do know they kick the piss out of MTRs BFGMTs and Maxxis Buckshots

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Go with the claws, they will last longer and likey perform the same as the TSL's. But then again i have never owned any TSL's.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
gotta buddy with a stock open dif YJ on 31 inch claws. Does pretty damn good in snow and mud... i'd go with the claws, besides, they look damn cool ;)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Another vote for Claws...that's the next tires I'm picking up. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had 33x11.5x17 TSL, great off-road tire but terrible in everyday driving. Lots of vibration in the steering wheel and a tons of noise. Very hard to balance and a very heavy tire. Noticable power loss. Terrible in snow and rain. I've gone to a cooper tire now and I love them.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Out of sheer curiousity, what pressure are you running the TRXUS off road??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for road, i run about 30 and i go down to about 20 offroad, but my claws were better at road pressure than the trxus M/T's aired down, what do u run??

·
Registered
305 Posts
wow I dont think airing down to 20 would do much of anything at all. with my 33s I always aired down to about 10. I would think you would have to go down to at least 15 to do anything.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im goin out next weekend for a big trail ride so, ill try 10 or 15lbs, but i dont think that will help too much in the mud and thats where i have the problems

·
Registered
305 Posts
you running 10 or 8in wide tire, that makes a difference too, well as far as running low psi. the 8in will hold the bead better. As far as getting stuck in the mud, I just try to stay out of it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have an 8 inch rim, but its not that i get stuck, its that a lot of the trails i ride have that hard packed slick type mud, the kind you slip on more than sink and the claws have a lot more bite for that

·
Registered
305 Posts
In thick mud I would say its probably not that the claws bite more but they clean themselves out better.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had the interco SSR's wow there is nothing like them they pull through the worst shyt. Though if not careful with the skinny pedal will bury you in the sand. I know they ride a little rough but there really is no comparison to a mud tire. They are the shyt and thats all there is to it. I sold mine and went with a less aggressive Cooper STT looks like a goodyear mtr. I like those, they are quieter and wear better, but nothing beats the total hooking, pulling, and digging capability of the the SSR's.
SSR's

Cooper STT's

Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
T-A-C-O said:
im goin out next weekend for a big trail ride so, ill try 10 or 15lbs, but i dont think that will help too much in the mud and thats where i have the problems
It will help in the mud, getting the outer most lugs on the ground where they can bite is the trick. I can tell you from alot of experience with pressures and the TRXUS M/T on an 8" wheel, 20 psi might as well be 40.. The absolute best pressure I've found for that combination is 14 rear and 15-16 front. Just the difference between 17 and 14 is amazing. I've wheeled those tires over 50 trips and that seems to be the magic number, try it.
P.S. That's on a std cab V-6 with full armor, bumpers, winch, 200lbs of gear in the rear etc..Just for comparison. :2cents:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im gonna try like 13 all around because i have a standard cab 4 cyl and i dont have a lot of gear, and ill let you kno how it goes

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Lower pressure will also allow the tread to flex more helping it to clear out that sticky mud. 13 might be too big a jump. As noted before, there is a "magic" number where all of a sudden the tire just really starts working for the conditions you're in. If you are at 20 now, try 18 next time, if it's not working, go down to 15 etc. You want to keep the pressure as high as possible to minimize the chances of unseating the bead and maintaining your ground clearance.

If you're gonna 'wheel, you need a good way to air down:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflatormain.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts