TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont have thins one, i have a rollbak. But you have to think about how it mounts and moves and how you use your truck. i wheel and sleep in the bed of my truck, but i also haul stuff from time to time. so losing a foot for the can for the bed cover and then ease of the rollbak rolling up and out of the way, really sold it for me. also thing about future mods for your truck and how this could affect it.
Now the only problem is figuring how to make and mount a rollbar for my lights with the bedcover. lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
AAATACO said:
Hi all,
Has anyone installed a BAKFlip tonneau cover on their rig? http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/inc/iview/260?idx=17&p=4810

If so, can you share you opinion (likes or dislikes)? I'm thinking of buying one.
Thanks in advance.
I've got a bakflip on my 06. I've had it on for about a year and have had no problems with it. I like it because it will fold up to the cab giving you almost complete access to your bed; it will work with the bed extender which will allow you to just open one section to store and carry most of your small stuff; so far mine hasn't shown no signs of leaking; and the workmanship seems to be very good. The only gripes I could see in one is the instructions for installation weren't the best in the world and you lose the use of your bed rails ( which I never used any way ). If you get one, I'd suggest you get a bed mat to keep things from sliding , an extra set of d-rings for the front, and a pop-n-lock for your tailgate. Pm me if you have any questions or would like a photo of anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mt1961,
This may post as a second reply since my first did not go through. The description you mention is exactly what I want to do. However, instead of the bed extender I have the cargo divider and bed mat. Can you tell me if the BAKFlip would interfere with the functionality of the divider? I don't care if it the divider slides all the way forward of back, but I would like to have it mounted to stop cargo from sliding. Also, I sent you an e-mail regarding the photos.
Alex

·
Registered
23 Posts
AAATACO said:
Thanks mt1961,
This may post as a second reply since my first did not go through. The description you mention is exactly what I want to do. However, instead of the bed extender I have the cargo divider and bed mat. Can you tell me if the BAKFlip would interfere with the functionality of the divider? I don't care if it the divider slides all the way forward of back, but I would like to have it mounted to stop cargo from sliding. Also, I sent you an e-mail regarding the photos.
Alex
Alex, I sent you some photos. As far as the divider, You won't be able to use it if it uses the factory bed rails. The frame for the Bakflip uses the bed rails for attachment and completely covers them rendering them useless as far as tie-downs, divider, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
AAATACO said:
Hi all,
Has anyone installed a BAKFlip tonneau cover on their rig? http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/inc/iview/260?idx=17&p=4810

If so, can you share you opinion (likes or dislikes)? I'm thinking of buying one.
Thanks in advance.

I have one. Have had it close to a year now. Love the idea behind it, hate how it is in reality. Problems: (no particular order)

- It leaks and I haven't been able to seal it or track it down.
- Didn't fit right and I had to fumble with it to get it to fit.
- Base construction is cardboad with ABS plastic laminated over it. Meaning no real weight support and god forbid you get water inside!
- Along with the cardboard guts there's nothing to hold the rivets in place. Gas struts ripped out the mounting plates on mine as there's only maybe 1/16" ABS holding the rivets in.
- Two piece rail system held together with foam tape. The sections started separating after repeating closings and slamming the latches down. I've since riveted those myself.
- Latches riveted (with steel rivets that RUST no less) while the cable guides are foam taped to the cover.
- Leaks allowed water to freeze between the cover and rails inside the foam weather stripping so I had to break the cover loose and rip the weather stripping.
- Drain holes and tubes don't seem to work. Truck is never at an angle that channels water to them so it runs out the tailgate end and gets the bed wet anyway. Absolutely useless IMO.

I'm actually planning on replacing it with a Diamondback SE. www.diamondbackcovers.com

To prove I have it: (Before I had to reattach the struts. I added larger square plates myself after the originals ripped out and now those are coming out too)

·
Registered
26 Posts
does the BAKFLIP interfere with mounting tie downs to the front rail? I just picked up 2007 TRD Sport and need a cover for it. I had a Retrax rolltop cover on my '98 Taco and I liked it just fine, but really don't want to give up the bed space again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
radon222 said:
does the BAKFLIP interfere with mounting tie downs to the front rail? I just picked up 2007 TRD Sport and need a cover for it. I had a Retrax rolltop cover on my '98 Taco and I liked it just fine, but really don't want to give up the bed space again.

If you look at my last pic above you can see the tie down rail. You CAN still use it for various things (like my hi-lift mount), but not the cleats. The BakFlip sticks out 4-6" from the edge of the rail and is only an inch or two above it so you don't have a lot of room to anchor things.

Here's a better pic. The cove is above the jack now, and you can see what little space you have to work with. The side rails are completely covered and unusable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
AAATACO said:
During my web searching I found another manufacturer (Fold-a Cover) with a unit that will not interfere with the track system. Here's the link http://www.foldacover.com/ Looks promising.

I looked at that one myself, but only the end sections latch down. The sections in between could potentially be lifted to get access to the bed I think. Hauling tools and computers, I didn't want to take that chance. It also has rubber hinges that seem to be a weak point on the BakFlip. It LOOKS like the water is seeping down between the rubber and the cover section, running along the underside of the cover, and dripping down.

As much as I like how it works, I like the concept behind the Diamonback SE better. It has 2" thick (i think) neoprene bumpers that compress as the cover is closed, only 2 moving sections, and all aluminum hardware. No rubber to crack in the summer sun or winter sub-zero weather. Also, since it can support 400lbs I feel more confident locking stuff in my bed! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got a fold-a-cover. Just bought it last week actually. The locks attach at the two ends but there is a permanent mount to the side tracks at the first hinge from the front, so you could not easily lift it. Maybe with a crow bar but that's the case with pretty much anything. It also locks the tailgate when it's closed.

As for water leakage, the main top seams and hinges are good but water still drips in near the tailgate (which isnt sealed in the first place) and a bit near the rear window.

I've found that if you use wingnuts instead of the included nuts for the permanant mount to the side tracks you can slide the whole folded unit against the windshield just like the rollBak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gerhar, looks like I'm going to go after one... How does it fit in relation to track system? Also, overall are you satisfied with it? Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've only had it for a bit now, but overall i'm pretty happy with it. Since it mounts on top of the bed rails it leaves more room height-wise inside the bed when closed, which I needed because my tool box just fits. It's heavier and more cumbersome than the RollBAK, but that can be an advantage for theft protection, strapping stuff on top, and two feet of snow overnight.

The things I don't like so much are the installation, which take some precise measurements to align the two bedrails, not to mention they mount with sticky-tape so there is no room for error. Also it doesn't just lift off when you don't want it on there, you have to remove the clamp on each side (two bolts each) and slide the folded unit down the stock rails toward the tailgate. It's easier with the wing nuts as I mentioned earlier.

I bought it at tonneaucoversone.com, which was the best price I found.

·
Registered
21 Posts
gerhar said:
PM me you email and i'll send some pics of the mounting

I'd be interested in some pics too. You can upload and host them from www.photobucket.com for free if you want.

I played with the mini-display model at a local truck shop, but that doesn't really help in real-world situations. Would be nice to know what it's made out of too. Looks similar to my BakFlip, but that turned out to have a card board core after I had to drill new holes for rivets to fix it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'll take some pics and post this evening. BTW piercedtiger i'm selling a real nice A.R.E. shell for a double cab SB also in NY if your considering going that route. Details are in the for sale section.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. I've been thinking about a shell, but I've been hauling a lot of tall items since we bought the house. And I don't want to deal with getting a shell or 1-piece bed cover off all the time. That's why I've been trying so hard to get a folding cover that works! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
^thanks! Those look good! Gives me more of an idea how it works that the demo model I played with. I didn't know you could slide it along the rails. I like the idea you had with the wing nuts to move it forward. I may have to reconsider this. It's probably close to half the price of the Diamondback I want.

Edit:

Not to bother you for more pics, but I'm curious how you hold it in place near the rear window without it rubbing/hitting the cab/window. I may change my mind again if that works well. Cheaper than the Diamondback by a LOT! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use one of those thicker rubber bungee straps around the folded cover and down to a d-hook below. I put the strap around where the box-like protrusion for the lock is, so the rubber strap acts as a buffer. It's not perfect, i'll probably permanently mount some kind of rubber pad eventually. The thing is, the only time I usually have the cover all the way up and forward like that is when my ATV is in the bed, and then I just strap it to the ATV. Otherwise the stacked position is definately more secure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
8 Participants
Lee's06Taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing