TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a rim spun to see how out of balance they are?? We used to do this with our superbikes. Balance was real important at speed. I wonder, because some guys have noted that they spun a tire 90, 180 degrees on the rim, and it was way better. If the rim was balanced, you would only have to do it once. Just get flat lead, some 2 part epoxy, and some duct tape. Spin it, find balance by taping lead into the inside of the rim, and then when it is right, mix some epoxy, stick the lead to the rim, and use a little tape to hold it in place while the epoxy sets up. In theory, you never have to do it again, and the weight never flew off, even at 174 mph. I didn't think about ti for a truck until I read these tire threads. :xdevil:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Has anyone had a rim spun to see how out of balance they are?? We used to do this with our superbikes. Balance was real important at speed. I wonder, because some guys have noted that they spun a tire 90, 180 degrees on the rim, and it was way better. If the rim was balanced, you would only have to do it once. Just get flat lead, some 2 part epoxy, and some duct tape. Spin it, find balance by taping lead into the inside of the rim, and then when it is right, mix some epoxy, stick the lead to the rim, and use a little tape to hold it in place while the epoxy sets up. In theory, you never have to do it again, and the weight never flew off, even at 174 mph. I didn't think about ti for a truck until I read these tire threads. :xdevil:
I think it is just easier to balance the tire on the rim. They act as one, so less work is involved. It might help a little if someone had big, heavy tires that would be hard to balance.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stevet47 said:
until you bend a rim and have to hammer it back into shape, then the weights you epoxied on make it worse.
No, not true. You might THINK the rim is perfectly balanced, but they are not. But that is what I am wondering.... WITHOUT tweaking a rim, is anyone tryting this? Probably not, as the more street oriented the tire, the less runout. And, the more agressive tires, they are EXPECTED to have some issues. But, if your tire needs 4 ounces, and your rim needs 3 ounces, if they are lined up perfectly, you need at least 7 ounces in one spot on the rim, waiting to be carved off by the first rock or curb. So, think about it before you pooh pooh the idea. Not to mention.... for a street queen, having a load of lead scratch your wheels would suck.

·
Registered
951 Posts
get a complete balance, runout and RFV (Road force variation) done when you have a set of new, or nearly new tires. It will run you around $200 to do, but most places will garantee the work for the life of the tire. They match the low spots on the rim to the high spots on the tire and you end up with a perfect combo that requires very little weight to correctly balance. As you said, they do the same thing on crotch rockets and sports cars for a reason. yOU WILL DEFINATELY BE SATISFIED WITH THE RESULTS. Try to find a shop with Hunter balancing machine, they are the best on the market, and the Hunter reps personally train the machine operators to make sure they know what they are doing.

Boheefus

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Boheefus said:
get a complete balance, runout and RFV (Road force variation) done when you have a set of new, or nearly new tires. It will run you around $200 to do, but most places will garantee the work for the life of the tire. They match the low spots on the rim to the high spots on the tire and you end up with a perfect combo that requires very little weight to correctly balance. As you said, they do the same thing on crotch rockets and sports cars for a reason. yOU WILL DEFINATELY BE SATISFIED WITH THE RESULTS. Try to find a shop with Hunter balancing machine, they are the best on the market, and the Hunter reps personally train the machine operators to make sure they know what they are doing.

Boheefus

I agree with you but don't scare people with the price. My stealer "only" charges about $60. using a Hunter machine.

·
Registered
951 Posts
bb609 said:
I agree with you but don't scare people with the price. My stealer "only" charges about $60. using a Hunter machine.
Wow, that is impressive, most of the one's I have talked to in VA and MD run close to $200 easily. I'm commin to your town:)

Boheefus

·
Registered
135 Posts
rojodiablo said:
But, if your tire needs 4 ounces, and your rim needs 3 ounces, if they are lined up perfectly, you need at least 7 ounces in one spot on the rim, waiting to be carved off by the first rock or curb.
Thats why you have the tires match-mounted...those 2 spots will be placed directly opposite each other, therefore only needing 1oz to balance out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where is the best place to take them to get that done. I am affraid to let my dealer do it. 33x12.5x15 MT/R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts