TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been to Bald Eagle State Park? Me and the wifey are taking a weekend trip to do some hiking and scope out some fishing holes. Just wonderin if anyone had any insight, there seems to be a lot of territory and drivable trails in the area.:)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Where is that located?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's in central PA near State College. Looks like a good spot for some exploritory offroading , but nothing too technical. I'm leaving sat morning so if anyone could give me some info that would be great.:)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Its a great place for pics. I would like to go back in the fall. as far as wheeling, Its all fire roads. lots of fire roads.

·
Registered
755 Posts
That's where my camp is. It's nice, there are some trails to go off onto, but becareful if you go onto a trail that was "not intended to be a trail" you will get a fine. Go out negro hollow its a nice trail with some rocks and mud holes. There are some trails off of this trail that were formed by the locals. You can use them, but you may get introuble if DCNR is around.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey ,thanks for the tip. It should be a good weekend of hiking and enjoying the out of doors. Any good fishing spots?:)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Make sure you go to Bald Eagle State Forest rather then Bald Eagle State Park. The forest is where you want to be for fishing, camping, and some beautiful views and the fire access roads, Otherwise you'll be making an hour trip to the place you want to be. There isn't much to see at the park. We were there almost two years ago and had a great time. Maybe we could hit it again in the spring. Here are the pics from that day.

http://3mphtoy.smugmug.com/gallery/1902542_ZmewK#95995174

·
Registered
755 Posts
You could fish the Poe Patty Lake at Poe Valley State park. We used to go swimming at R.B. Winter state park, but i saw some people fishing. They are both in/near Bald eagle state forest.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice and the pics. Yeah we're going to the forest not the state park. I downloaded a good map off the DNCR website so I've got a good lay of the land to start. Where is that tunnel located at?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I would let everyone know how the trip was. The state forest was a great spot for hiking and fishing. As for the wheeling,there was a lot of fire roads but also a lot of drivable trails. It's a great spot for us green trailers and guys with not so capable rigs. We were going to hit the negro hollow trail but it was full of DEEP water holes, and we were wheelin solo, so we decided not. We did tackle a couple other trails however and it was a blast!:) If anyone would like to take a trip sometime let me know and maybe we can plan something. I would like to post my pics but I suck at this hi-tec computer gadgetry, but I will give it a shot, otherwise there are some pics posted up in the test section of the forum. Later:)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just thought I would let everyone know how the trip was. The state forest was a great spot for hiking and fishing. As for the wheeling,there was a lot of fire roads but also a lot of drivable trails. It's a great spot for us green trailers and guys with not so capable rigs. We were going to hit the negro hollow trail but it was full of DEEP water holes, and we were wheelin solo, so we decided not. We did tackle a couple other trails however and it was a blast!:) If anyone would like to take a trip sometime let me know and maybe we can plan something. I would like to post my pics but I suck at this hi-tec computer gadgetry, but I will give it a shot, otherwise there are some pics posted up in the test section of the forum. Later:)

It's good to hear that you had some fun. I hit up negro hollow solo right after a rain storm when I was last up. I had fun.

It wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'd hit some trails up there with you one day. I have to see what's up with my new job, but i may be available one weekend in the near future. Let me know if you want to do some light wheeling up there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah that would be good. My truck is mostly stock ,and my DD, so I didn't want to beat it up too bad.:) I bottomed out on one mud hole and that was enough for me to back off a bit. There is an ass load of terrain out there and walking out was not on the agenda. Just didn't feel too comfortable going solo into an unknown area.:) Maybe we can get some more people together and make a weekend out of it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yeah that would be good. My truck is mostly stock ,and my DD, so I didn't want to beat it up too bad.:) I bottomed out on one mud hole and that was enough for me to back off a bit. There is an ass load of terrain out there and walking out was not on the agenda. Just didn't feel too comfortable going solo into an unknown area.:) Maybe we can get some more people together and make a weekend out of it.
I know what you mean. The first time I went out there I bottomed out and stalled in one of the holes. I saw smoke and was worried. It ended up I was smoking the tires.:rolleyes: I backed off because I was worried. Once I went back I was fine.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? and how far are you from bald eagle?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm about 2.5 hours from the state forest. Just turned 35 but my wife says I act like a 16 year old.:rolleyes: I'm down for some mild wheelin and throwin back some cold ones.:)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would be up for some light wheelin' on the 12 or the 19th if you want to? I have to find out about work though. I should know by thurs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those dates are possible. I'm going to Rausch Creek this weekend, so if we go the 12th that will be 3 weekends in a row of wheelin':)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts