TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
allright, i guess i'm now paying the price of having lift spacers. First issue I've found so far after a year of having spacers. I was aware of ball joint issues with spacers, so here we go.

While installing those front recovery points, I noticed one of the upper ball joints boots (passenger side) is leaking grease.

I just finished reading a few old posts about changing those ball joints, including Ed's write up. But found nothing about the boots specifically.

So, when those boots leak...... does that mean the ball joint will go soon? Is there a way to change the boot and re-grease without changing the whole thing?

is there anybody here besides me that still runs spacers?:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for how long they have been leaking:confused:

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
mine have been seeping for a couple of years, I'm not really concerned with them and I have 120K

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that makes sense... i hope to get a few miles with that grease spitting boot.:D

·
Registered
964 Posts
For at least a year.

I seem to have a knack of pushing the mechanical limits of the parts on my truck, but I would not recommend ignoring it too long.

Would assume if they are leaking, you might look into getting them replaced soon.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
to check the actually ball joints. jack the tires of the the ground and put one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom.Then push the top in and pull the bottom towards you at the same time back and forth. If there is any play then this means your ball joints could be going out.

Its not hard to change just the boot out. If you have a spare boot just knock the upper control arm off the ball joint ,un twist the wire around the base of the boot and pull the boot off.

Mine are not leaking and I have been running spacer lift at 3 incher for a couple years. But I also did a manuel hub swap about a year ago and replaced the upper balljoints in the new manuel hub spindals.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to check the actually ball joints. jack the tires of the the ground and put one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom.Then push the top in and pull the bottom towards you at the same time back and forth. If there is any play then this means your ball joints could be going out.

Its not hard to change just the boot out. If you have a spare boot just knock the upper control arm off the ball joint ,un twist the wire around the base of the boot and pull the boot off.

Mine are not leaking and I have been running spacer lift at 3 incher for a couple years. But I also did a manuel hub swap about a year ago and replaced the upper balljoints in the new manuel hub spindals.
Thanks Adam. Man, that was almost a write-up!

I'll do that test during soon. If the joints are OK, then I'll just see if i can buy new boots with grease.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine are not leaking and I have been running spacer lift at 3 incher for a couple years. .
one thing is that i have the spacer lift that has both a top load spacer and another spacer inside the coils.

both are 1.25".

the top one is the one killing the whole angle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I replaced mine with moog ball joints for pretty cheap I just had the press to do it with but autozone has balljoint presses for rent FYI if you didn't already know

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine have been ripped for a couple of years. No issues to report.
couple of years:eek:

for some reason i was thinking that ball joints boots leaking could be as serious as CV axle boots leaking.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I replaced mine with moog ball joints for pretty cheap I just had the press to do it with but autozone has balljoint presses for rent FYI if you didn't already know
no i didn't know, although i knew they had all kinds of pullers, different sizes, etc.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Ben, I know alot people have said fuck it, they don't care, whatever- but the truth is, you should fix it. It is so inexpensive and easy there's no reason not to. Left unattended you will greatly shorten the life of your ball joint, causing you to perform an unneccesary repair that could have been easily avoided.

It's failure most likey won't be catastrophic, but rather a subtle degradation of your steering control, often misdiagnosed and incorrectly compensated for by improper alignment and causing abnormal wear on your tire diminishing their life as well.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
no i didn't know, although i knew they had all kinds of pullers, different sizes, etc.

Ben, I have a BJ press (C-clamp style) that you can borrow-
I just need to find it- lol

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ben, I know alot people have said fuck it, they don't care, whatever- but the truth is, you should fix it. It is so inexpensive and easy there's no reason not to. Left unattended you will greatly shorten the life of your ball joint, causing you to perform an unneccesary repair that could have been easily avoided.

It's failure most likey won't be catastrophic, but rather a subtle degradation of your steering control, often misdiagnosed and incorrectly compensated for by improper alignment and causing abnormal wear on your tire diminishing their life as well.

thanks Chris for the response. Had no idea this could lead to all those possible headaches:eek:

I think I'll change those boots after this trip to Gilmer.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ben, I have a BJ press (C-clamp style) that you can borrow-
I just need to find it- lol
thanks man. However, i hope i don't have to change the ball joints. I'm assuming they are still good since the spacers have been there only a year. Still have to do the test Adam suggested though:D

But that's good to know. i'll shoot you an email later on.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts

This is good advise...your tires will wear prematurely, and that is costly.:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts