TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with a set of BFG 315/75R-16 All Terrain tires that had been setting in a storage shed for about a year. These tires were going to go on a 1973 Ford Highboy truck project but I decided these tires would work really well on the 1990 Toyota Truck.
I contacted Ballistic Fabrication and ordered a set of Beadlock rings and 4 Wheel parts for a set of 4 Pro Comp 16x8 with 3.75 backspace steel wheels.
The parts arrived and it was time to start the :saw::welder:
The first thing that I did was move the valve stem hole and patch the original hole. The original valve stem location was not going to work with the beadlock rings.

Now for the cleaning. Removed the powder coating from the Pro Comp Wheels and Cleaned the rings so there wouldn't be any problem with weld contamination.

Ready to weld. The Ballistic Fabrication ring diameter allowed for several types of steel wheels so there was a little extra space to fill in at the weld.

Now the welding. I did a quick fill pass with the Miller Mig and then capped the weld off with some Lincoln 7018 1/8" electrodes that have been taking up space for several years. Still good rod but had collected a little moisture and needed to be dried out before using.

The welding is finished on that wheel now just 3 more to go.:violin:

Here is the cleaning of the weld area and the outer ring. Almost ready for a test run before the painting.

Here was a test run to check for leaks. The ring was not going to leak but I wanted to make sure that the valve stem hole patch was good before painting. No Leaks.

A couple coats of the VHT Roll Bar Gloss Black paint and these wheels are done and ready to mount.

I used some B width V-belts for the anti-coning rings since the Ballistic dont have any sort of ring. These rings did cone but not as bad with the V-Belts.
I will do this project again with 17" rims and might try a different ring fabricator for the next time around.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice job! How did they balance out?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job! How did they balance out?
Thanks, Still working on the balancing. Used some Dyna Beads and they were ok, but I still would get some vibration at higher speeds. I will probably remove the beads and try the weights.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I think all steel wheels need is a rock ring welded on them. It's unlikely you'll ever need to run low enough tire pressure to need beadlocks. Like Dell said, inner bead will blow off now :p

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
^ deleted that post...

but admit I said that

* trying to turn over a new leaf :rolleyes:

----------------

OP...

enjoy yer mod
have fun with the balance issues

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think all steel wheels need is a rock ring welded on them. It's unlikely you'll ever need to run low enough tire pressure to need beadlocks. Like Dell said, inner bead will blow off now :p
^ deleted that post...

but admit I said that

* trying to turn over a new leaf :rolleyes:

----------------

OP...

enjoy yer mod
have fun with the balance issues
Thanks for the input. I will update as soon as I am able to get them out for some good rock/desert testing. I am still working on some other issues on the truck but should have them completed this month. The tires and wheels are ok for the balance but if you get them out on the road above 50 mph there is some vibration. They will work well at rock crawling speed though.

I used some higher quality airsoft bb's to balance my 42" PBR's with ruffstuff DIY beadlocks. Mine are smooth as can be after they warm up.
I had heard about the airsoft bb's. Might try them. How many ounces per wheel? These are small diameter tires in comparison to 42's.

·
Hawaii's Damage Control
1,026 Posts
I had heard about the airsoft bb's. Might try them. How many ounces per wheel? These are small diameter tires in comparison to 42's.
I don't remember how many ounces, but basically I quartered the container and put them in each wheel. I've also used golf balls, it works on roads with a speed limit over 35.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't remember how many ounces, but basically I quartered the container and put them in each wheel. I've also used golf balls, it works on roads with a speed limit over 35.
That works for me. I'll give the airsoft bb's a try. Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updated thread.

So after a few years of running the do it yourself beadlocks. I ran the Ballistic fab bead locks and also found the total metal innovation beadlocks and put together a set of those.
My preference was the total metal innovations beadlocks due to the inner ring having the anti coning spacer. These wheels with KM2s and some airsoft BBs balance out pretty well.
Being a member of the So Cal group most of our trails are sometimes up to 3 hrs + from the house so having the tires balance ok at 65mph was helpful.
A fun project for the do it yourself group. Yes you can run them at low pressure ( have run down to 5 psi and didn't lose the inner bead). Having the low pressure saved me a few times due to no lockers ( air comp died). Check the SoCal TTORA group page for some of the trails this truck has done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
Tacoeng
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing