TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sure everyone has heard about this already. Does anyone think it is a little off the deep end?? I think it was a total scam to get attention, and now Colorado tax payers have to pay for all of the search efforts all day. Even the National Guard was called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6UONWCq7A

AND
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5387474n

It is so obvious that the parents were caught offguard by the kids answer in this video. I think it is sick for a family to do this, and for this kid to get "punished" for following his parents orders...

:doh:kid to father"You told me we did it for the show":doh:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah, it got plenty of attention. Within a couple of hours it was being shown all over the world. This whole thing is weird. The older brother swears he saw the younger brother get in this balloon, and yet nobody notices him climbing in the attic to hide. This balloon, shaped like a ufo, comes unteathered and takes flight, but the dad claims that it was never intended to fly:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Oh they better send a bill to that family for all the time and resources used to track this thing!:mad:

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
apparently Larry King called them out as it being a publicity stunt too. they were on one of the national morning news shows this morning. the host asked the dad if it was a stunt and he said that he was getting ticked off about everybody bringing that up. the boy (Falcon) was asleep while the family was being interviewed. he immediately woke up and started throwing up during the interview. they were then talking about it on a radio show this morning. this family has been on "wife swap" twice and have put out a music video. the name of the song is "don't be catified." now, think of catified as a name for a cat/female part and use that word instead of cat.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I am not sure if the father and mother are bad at public speaking, but it seems like every time they are asked a question, they have to go over their story in their head to make sure they say the right thing. I think it will be awesome when they prove it as a hoax and they go back and replay all the times the father overly DENYING that it was a hoax and that he is getting pissed off that everyone thinks that... even though it is probably true.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Something is definitely up with this whole thing. What? I don't know Why? What would be the gain?
However I understand the opinion to not charge the family for the recources they used. If that was the case there's a possibility a family going through a similar crisis would delay a phone call to authorities. If they do end up charging the family for all those recources, time, fuel, etc. I hope the public never hears about it. I',m sure it cost a hell of a lot of money just keeping that chopper in the air alone. It would be nice if the family would offer to help pay for the recources the tied up all day.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
im going to build my own spaceship in my garage and then call the police to say that my dog or something is trapped inside of it.... start up a little cult following lol

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not only were news helicopters up there, Tom Martino's personal helicopter was chasing it. I wonder is we will see a "Tom Martino Investigates" about this... lol

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Not only were news helicopters up there, Tom Martino's personal helicopter was chasing it. I wonder is we will see a "Tom Martino Investigates" about this... lol

even Tom sounded like he was wondering WTF this morning on KHOW lol

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
And I am not sure if the father and mother are bad at public speaking, but it seems like every time they are asked a question, they have to go over their story in their head to make sure they say the right thing. I think it will be awesome when they prove it as a hoax and they go back and replay all the times the father overly DENYING that it was a hoax and that he is getting pissed off that everyone thinks that... even though it is probably true.
The family in a whole is not all there in the head, and you can easily tell this from their wife swap episode, as well as their interviews.

Could it be a Hoax? Sure! Could it be an honest mistake? Indeed it could.

IMO people should be looking at it as if they were the father.

Your son is outside playing, next thing you know your balloon is floating away and your son is nowhere to be found. What would you assume happened in this case?

Also, i remember as a little kid. If i did something wrong and i knew it, i'd hide like hell for hours and wouldn't come out if my parents came looking for me either.

To me, and IMHO it seems more logical that it's an honest mistake more than a hoax, or publicity stunt.

However I understand the opinion to not charge the family for the recources they used. If that was the case there's a possibility a family going through a similar crisis would delay a phone call to authorities. If they do end up charging the family for all those recources, time, fuel, etc. .
Touche. Peoples taxes have already been put aside to pay for events such as these, even this family has paid their dues to help OTHER people when in need for emergency care.

In reality, it could boil down to just that. People being hesitent to call for help in fear they'll get a "yea... we'll help you, but it's going to cost you this much..."

My only real concern/question with the whole situation. This wouldn't of happened in the first place if the kids were in school.

Mid day, mid october, why weren't the kids in school?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
i knew it was a hoax from the minute they said, "the approximate dimensions of the balloon are 20ft by 5ft" its not that difficult to calculate that a balloon of that size would need to be filled with hydrogen gas, half as dense as helium, to lift a 6 year old of approximately 60lbs. so i just kept living my life. didnt worry about it.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
i knew it was a hoax from the minute they said, "the approximate dimensions of the balloon are 20ft by 5ft" its not that difficult to calculate that a balloon of that size would need to be filled with hydrogen gas, half as dense as helium, to lift a 6 year old of approximately 60lbs. so i just kept living my life. didnt worry about it.
Yeah, sorry the rest of the world isn't as smart as aeronautical engineering students... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also new home video of them "testing" the balloon in their backyard was just released. The initial story of the family was that the adults were inside and the kids let it loose. In the video, the father was a huge part in it, and although it looked like they were just trying to let it go a couple feet off the ground, it was not tied down correctly and went all the way up. I think they saw it as a nice opportunity to get some attention, or a ploy not to get into trouble for it actually being released into a rural area...

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Have you made the appointment to get the "L" tatoo'd yet? :D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts