TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No not Band Camp...

Does anyone know where I can get the band style clamps that clamp the CV axle boot onto the CV joint. I know most auto parts stores probably have them but Im looking for an online source.

My CV axle situation is going from bad, to worse.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big zip ties huh? I may resort to that actually. Online searching is not proving to be effective. Looks like Im off to Discount Automart World to talk their crack team of proffessionals and look for some sort of clamp... or zip ties.

Problem is its not a factory boot on one of my spare shafts and its a little too big for the outer CV joint. So I need a decent amount of clamping force to seal it up good. What a PIA buying used CV's has turned out to be :confused:

·
Registered
870 Posts
i buy all my boots (cv-powersteering) from downey-offroad, their made by empi and they come with grease and clamps, i think their 8 bucks per boot, but they might have a stock of clamps laying around

their number is on their site
downeyoff-road.com

·
Banned
722 Posts
I've heard big hose clamps will work. You could call Autozone, get a part number, and order online from their website.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill have to make the trek to big box auto / Checkers/ Pep Boys/ etc. tomorrow. The problem is around here is that all the auto parts stores want to sell anymore is atv's and toys. No one there knows anything except how to look up part numbers. I had my fill of that BS with my last rig (FJ-40 with Chevy 350) if the computer doesnt have it it doesnt exist / work. Napa generally is pretty good, too bad I dont have one around here.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The hose clamps work. The key is not overtightening them to the point that they start breaking the rubber boot around the shaft.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
My bro's CV boot was leaking grease. I used a wide zip tie to replace the bad clamp
...that was over two years ago - Still holding strong

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I cut off the metal clamps and have had better luck with big a zip tie.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Big zip ties will work.
I completely second that.

After f'in around trying to get the OEM or any clamp otherwise to cinch down the large end of the boot, I got disgusted and tried zip ties. I took two 14" ties, fed one thru the other (since the OD of the boot large end is about 15", if I recall), and cinched 'em down. Since the boot groove is wide enuff (just barely) to accomodate two rows of zip ties, I did it again with a second set of two, but just reversed the placement of the zip tie feed-thru 180º to ensure there was enuff room to seat 'em in the groove.

That was 10K ago. I check'em all the time because it's hard for me to believe. But they're still holding.

Zip ties made a miserable project easy. Totally easy, totally practical.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If you insist on clamps, many autoparts stores have the clamps now since CV axles are so common place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found the hose clamps to be easier to tighten than the zip ties.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had hose clamps on my CV boots for for well over 100k now and not once did I have to retighten them. Bought them from Home depot and they were wider than the grooves on the boot so some rubber is compressed thru the slots of the steel band.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts