TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 3 inch lift for my 98 tacoma extra cab 4x4. After reading eveything I could find in the forums does any one have an opinion what is the best way to go about it. Is there a brand or style, should I use an add a leaf or block the rear, In coil spacre lift in the front and if so should I replace the shocks to make up for the harshness. This truck will be taken off road but just mud and EZ trails.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
895 Posts
if you use the search function of this forum (see the button above) you can find lots of information on your question as it has been asked before...

and to asnwer your question - IMO, go with Old Man Emu (OME) lift for the best bang for the buck for a copuple inches of quality lift that will perform quite well for your intended application. contact www.trdparts4u.com (TTORA sponsor) to get a very good price...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Go with ToyTec. I have a shackle lift in the rear and a spacer in front. Works good. If you can and want to spend more get a coilover. Either way check out ToyTec.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Toytec has bang-for-buck. However yes, please search, because we have covered this topic a thousand times. I find nearly all my info by searching, even now, so I know it's out there. Check my sig under my post, that stuff came about from searching :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
PuckerFactor said:
Sway Away coil overs. For the rear.....new leafs but they can be pricey. Do it semi right the first time and you wont have to do it again.
I've even heard good things about the Alcan AAL, so those paired up with some 2.0 SAWS and bilstein 5125s for the rear and you got a nice lift.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Toytec OME Coil w/1/4" Spcr and 63 chevys

I asked the same question when I was in your position- I say Toytec upfront and 63'' chevys in the rear! THAT is the BEST bang for your buck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,

Your truck looks great. Thanks for the Pics, it really puts the lift into perspective. Thanks to eveyone for the good advice.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Go with the complete OME system (see sig below)...forget the add-a-leafs.

talk to these guys: www.trdparts4u.com

best price and great service.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i chose to go with AOR 2 inch spacer up front, with an additional 3/4 inch spacer. in the rear i have downey 2" shackles, but the AOR 3" RR springs should be here today. i bought the whole rear setup w/ flip kit. my only problem is my E-brake cable. has anyone relocated it higher. i will find a way. but if anyone has some insight on it that would be great

my rear end with low E-brake cable

this will suck if after all this i cant get that cable up out of the way

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
See that loop on the left side holding the ebrake at a near 90 degree angle? Cut it and let the cable hang free. What I did was cut that loop, then add a second stock brake line to the current one, so I have a nearly double length rear brake line and a loosely hanging ebrake, then I zip-tied the two together so they are pretty stable, but can move with the back housing if it needs to drop or flex. I can take a pic later if you want.

·
Registered
529 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
See that loop on the left side holding the ebrake at a near 90 degree angle? Cut it and let the cable hang free. What I did was cut that loop, then add a second stock brake line to the current one, so I have a nearly double length rear brake line and a loosely hanging ebrake, then I zip-tied the two together so they are pretty stable, but can move with the back housing if it needs to drop or flex. I can take a pic later if you want.
yea, a piture wound be awesome. thanks

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Here ya go :)

It's wet under there from all the rain, but you can see everything in question. I cut that left loop, took the ebrake out of it, and zipped it to the longer brake line at the junction between the two lines. Stock rear brake lines will connect right up to one another without mods ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts