TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on! I went offroading a few weeks ago and afterwards I have been hearing a rattling sound comming from under the truck. It sounds like a baseball card in bike spokes. The weird thing is that it only happens when I first start up the truck and seems to go away by the time I hit third gear on my way out my neighborhood. It also does not happen everyday. My truck is bone stock and I was just wandering what this noise can be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it was extremely rocky terrain and my truck was doing a lot of bouncing around. It seems to run fine though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would it only make the sound some of the time?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I dunno, but my guess its in the exaust. When its cold itll make noise..when It warms up everything expands.....Im no expert though. ask one of the know it alls when they chime in;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your input buddy!! I think your on to something because is does seem to make noise when it is a cold morning.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Could be a loose skidplate, i had that problem too, whenever i started the truck, or closed the doors it would rattle...might be the problem, might not be!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
check for loose heat sheilds around the exhaust

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Could even be a rock stuck in a part of the heat shield for the cat. Converter too, or possibly even bouncing around under a skidplate.

If it was in the converter and caught between the heat shield and the converter itself, it might explain the noise only happening when it's cold and then going away when it heats up(heat expansion between the converter and shield).

·
Registered
483 Posts
my o5 tacoma makes a lil noise in the cold mornings too, i donno what it is either, i got the super duper warranty so im gonna take advantage of it. it also lets of a small quick groan when i drive off then its gone. oh well. my brothers '82 still runs, so well be ok.
take advantage of any warranty you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks a lot for the advice fellas. I've tried spray washing the shit out of it with no success but i've deceded just to bite the bullet and let my mechanic look at it tomm. I'll let you guys know what is was incase anyone else out there is having the same problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course the noise did not occur when my mechanic drove it this morning. Oh well. It only occurs when i first start it up and does not seem to be affecting anything so i guess ill just live with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Could even be a rock stuck in a part of the heat shield for the cat. Converter too, or possibly even bouncing around under a skidplate.

If it was in the converter and caught between the heat shield and the converter itself, it might explain the noise only happening when it's cold and then going away when it heats up(heat expansion between the converter and shield).
i would check this out as i had a noise like that once and thats what it was exactly. Rocks can get up in there and bounce around.

·
Registered
779 Posts
its always good to bounce around and go as fast as you can offroad :D you take it back yet to get re-checked?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did leave it overnight. unfortunately it warmed up this morning. . . just my luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably is just some rocks stuck under there. No big deal. thanks for your opinions fellas! What would i do without ttora???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts