TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wheeling earlier this week on my lunch hour and caused some minor damage to my truck that hopefully wont happen to you

So I was going through some whoops and easy sand hill climbs when I smell fluid burning...I get out and see tranny fluid pouring out of the wheelwell. My battery bracket fell off while going thru whoops and battery bounced around my driver side engine compartment and smashed oil tranny hose that caused 6-7 qt loss, smashed back off headlight bulb, and dented oil filter. I cut 1 inch behind break and put back on radiator. (tranny cooler line to radiator).

I discovered the hard way that you CANT add tranny fluid to the 05+ Tacoma auto tranny w/o special pump available at.......the Toyota Dealer. It is pumped from bottom and put on rack and raised and lowered until correct. Luckily I made it to Toyota dealer and $120 later I was not low on tranny fluid. I have replaced light and bought tiedowns to control battery until battery box comes on Mon. Kartek rocks :D I will get a metal battery tray fabbed to bolt box to. Will post pics of new setup ASAP.
FYI Buy $2 rubber tiedowns as insurance in case your bracket does same.

BTW I didnt bother Toyota with the bracket falling off because there is no way I could make Toyota think I wasnt 4 wheeling with me and truck covered in sand.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
it only gets really fun when the fender wall begins to cave in from the weihgt of the battery and the hold is useless

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been thinking of the battery mount design and think it will be resting on the stock fenderwell but have the weight distributed by brackets going down and sideways. I also got rid of stock heavy battery for a lightweight optima battery. Any battery mount ideas?? It will be a battery tray with brackets and then have the battery box bolted to it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I had a tool box back there I would go that route. Thats on my list one of these days.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Sorry bout what happened! Hey, its better it happened today than happening next week at Barstow!

Get some pics up, i want to go with a yellow top soon and i want to see how you mounted your batt

What batt holder did you get from Kartek?
I might get this badboy

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow. This is a first. How fast were you going? I wonder what Jeff(Yota4lyfe) did. He wheels a lot.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasnt going very fast. Probably 10 mph or less. Too much for the bracket I guess. There were consecutive whoops and by the end the D-hoes were tired. Once I get my D-hoe arms and COs extended maybe less worries. I got the dimple died battery box from Kartek and also have a Blue Torch Fab battery box coming. I will see which one I prefer.

Looks like I should have had some Chubby bumpstops huh??? :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hah. I was thinking the other way. Shoot maybe I need to start thinking about a battery bracket. Looks like you'll be the guinea pig on this one.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here is my new battery box installed. I went with the Blue Torch Fab over the Kartek.
HERE IS THE KARTEK BATTERY BOX

HERE IS THE MOUNTING AREA FOR BATTERY BOX

HERE IS THE BLUE TORCH FAB INSTALLED

From now on any breakage will get :welder: not fixed back to stock :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is all bolt on right? Will this only work with an optima battery or would the stock battery fit?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had it welded/bolted it in. To not weld you would need to figure out how to attach the battery box to the flat surface. Its easier to weld nuts to surface then bolt box down and thru nuts like I did. I spent $80 for the welding and mounting.

This mount is made for an optima. Since I added the lights I needed more juice anyway. You would need to custom make a mount for a stock battery.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Nice LVTACO!!!!!!!!!! the blue torch looks great

Whats the specific kind of yellow top you have???? because its my understanding that the stock terminals do NOT fit/reach on yellow tops.

I wanna change my batt, so any other additional info on installation would help :)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right with the battery cable concern. If you were to mount optima in stock location it wouldnt work. You will have to loosen up some zipties to allow the cables to reach. You would then mount the box closer than the stock battery location. I have a yellow top optima. If your an oddysey fan many guys sell boxes for those as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts