TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody....got a 98 2.7 auto 4x4 reg cab and hadn't driven my truck in about 2 1/2 weeks cuz i blew out my cheap ass Borla weld in muffler. Anyways, finally got my new LCE exhaust and hopped in my truck to drive out to my parents house to install it started up with no problem but the battery light stayed on. First thing I thought was alternator not charging so I broke out my fluke meter to make sure and sure enough it was at 14.3V at idle. Next I thought maybe my battery is getting old? So I took off to my parents house (about an hour drive) and the light stayed on the entire time. After I finished the exhaust, truck was off for about 5 hours, jumped in to listen for any exhaust leaks and start the truck up and no problem starting. Yes my battery is extremely old (7 years!!!!:eek:) but it starts just as good as the day I put it in....Toyota battery by the way :D (not surprised) Anyone got any ideas??? Probably should just pick up a new battery but I cant see spending the money if the one I have still starts the truck with no problem.
Thanks guys,
Steve

·
Registered
932 Posts
Considering it's a stock battery, and that old, I'd definitely replace it. Better to do it on your terms than its terms. I kept putting off replacing the crappy battery in my gas saver, until my wife called while I was gone for 2 weeks because it stranded her. Ooops...

Amazon and Summit have some pretty decent prices on Optimas... my yellow top has been great for the last 5 years, though I don't know if the rumors of Optima's quality going to s*** are true or not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resurrecting my own 6 year old thread! So I still have this problem with my truck. Don't drive it much anymore unfortunately and would like to get back into wheeling with it. So I've replaced the alternator with a reman one. New battery. None of this turned the battery light off. Truck still runs great and charges fine. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look? Anyone dealt with this before? Anything?

A friend of mine who is a GM master tech said that light is wired in that it has opposing current going to it keeping the light off. When one of those circuits fails (ie alternator/battery) the remaining in tact one completes the circuit turning the light on. Problem is I can't figure out what may have a short or a loose ground that is causing this.

Really long shot I know just hoping someone out there may have come across something similar is all these years. Thanks and sorry for the long story!

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem.Just posted in early Tacoma section.Wondering if you ever figured it out.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts