TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I was out and went into a store and came out and the truck would not start. I had been running errands all day and no problems. I had the truck jumped off thinking it was the battery. Went straight to the parts store and the guy used his little computer and tested the battery and alternator, maybe the starter. Everything came back good.

I don't use the truck every day, but I ran it a couple times between then and now and NO problems.

Today, I went to start the truck and lights come on, radio is fine and all is well until i try to start the truck. I hear one click and nothing. I hook the battery up to the honda and jump the truck right off. Turn the truck off and unhook it and try it again, no problem.

Review: Battery tested good a week ago, Twice this has happened and needed help from another vehicle.

No battery light on the dash, so i'm not thinking its the alternator.

What are the symptoms of a bad starter?

·
Registered
425 Posts
My 4runner did this, I replaced the starter and it has been fine ever since. The contacts in the old starter were fried.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sounds like it could be a bad connection, or a bad starter/solenoid.

First, I'd take a wire brush to your battery posts and make sure all the terminals are tight and clean. Next check ground wires running to the engine. If that doesn't fix it, and it acts up again, take a hammer and beat on the starter.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts

First, I'd take a wire brush to your battery posts and make sure all the terminals are tight and clean. Next check ground wires running to the engine. If that doesn't fix it, and it acts up again, take a hammer and beat on the starter.
This ... it's amazing what the change of season will do to electrical stuff.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

x3.. make sure all those connections are good. Sounds to me tho your starter is going bad. When the starter goes bad its because the points inside are wearing or worn. Sometimes the extra juice from a jump off or a high crank amp battery over compensates for those worn points in the starter and allows it to start. This is what mine did about a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Mine did the exact same thug a couple of years ago. Most people say it is the contacts in the starter, which you can replace for IIRC about $60. There are a few really good threads about them on the national board. I got into doing that and just ended up buying a new starter. No problems after that.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just double checked the connections on the battery and the starter and everything was tight. Truck has started a couple of time since.
Looked at prices for starters and its interesting. Parts store duracell gold is $140,
Mean Green: http://shop.mean-green.com/2004-95-TACOMA-27L-MG17706-K.htm
which i have a alternator w/ them and love it, but is it worth it??
Who knows what the crazy price is at the dealer, i did hear if your are a member of toyota nation website and tell the ppl at toyota of newnan dealer they give you a good discount.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did this happen to you multiple times or did it happen once and you changed out the starter?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
C, make sure the connections are clean...which means taking them off. Even tight corrosion some dang how messes with the connection and continuity.

The Toy starters have a copper washer contact point thingy in there that wears out. I hear you can replace them ... but that's just hear say ...

·
Registered
947 Posts
I replaced my OEM starter back in 04-05 (~150k miles) with a bottom of the line autozone starter...it still works fine @ 275k miles.

On a side note: if my truck wont start tomorrow, I blame you.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Did this happen to you multiple times or did it happen once and you changed out the starter?
Not sure if you are talking to me, but yeah it happened to me many times before I changed out the starter. Do what Derka said and get one from autozone or advanced auto. They might provide a warranty with it too.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
if it ends up not being the starter, my vote is the alternator.

mine did the same thing. i would drive it around all day without issue, then sitting for a couple hours it wouldnt start. one click and all the dash lights worked and everything else. first time it happened, it was in january. autozone checked alternator and it failed. replaced it and was good to go for another 5 months.

same thing happened again. this time when autozone tested it, it passed. i replaced it anyways and when i took the old alternator back and the guy put the alternator on the machine they have. passed there too. havent had any problems yet since ive replaced it.

but since you have the mean green and its fairly new, i would go with starter for now.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, put on a parts store starter and seemed to work great, hope i get as much life out of as you did. Fun times changing it: long extensions, wobble, laughing your ass off, grease on front drive shaft, damn brakes lines always in the way, good times!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts