TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new battery and would like some input. I have had pretty limited experiences with batteries as most of the vehicles I have owned just had the stock battery and I left it that way. I did have an Optima Yellow Top in my 90 SAS rig (which I liked) but for my general purposes I don't think I need a battery with that many CCA's and of course the price tag to boot. So with that being said, what do you guys run and how do you like it? Keep in mind this is pretty much a stock rig as far as electronics are concerned, no KC lights or compressors or anything. THanks

Ryan

·
Registered
369 Posts
SAStoy said:
I'm in the market for a new battery and would like some input. I have had pretty limited experiences with batteries as most of the vehicles I have owned just had the stock battery and I left it that way. I did have an Optima Yellow Top in my 90 SAS rig (which I liked) but for my general purposes I don't think I need a battery with that many CCA's and of course the price tag to boot. So with that being said, what do you guys run and how do you like it? Keep in mind this is pretty much a stock rig as far as electronics are concerned, no KC lights or compressors or anything. THanks

Ryan
Even though you're not running a ton of accesories, I would still go with an Optima. Just get the red top. They are selling them at Costco for around a hundred bucks. It might still be more than a regular battery, but if you plan on having the truck for while, it's worth it.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
SAStoy said:

Ryan
Just the other guy mentioned- Costco & Sams sells the red top for about $100

-Costco also sells a battery under their Kirklands label (remarkably similar to the Sears Die Hard Gold)
$40 bucks Free 3 year replacement - very hard to beat

·
Registered
87 Posts
dual Exide ORbitals( blue top is starting/deep cycle) It's construction is like OPtimas - being AGM( absorbed glass mat) to keep the electrolyte in place. Kragen sellls them or get on online.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Rob said:
Even though you're not running a ton of accesories, I would still go with an Optima. Just get the red top. They are selling them at Costco for around a hundred bucks. It might still be more than a regular battery, but if you plan on having the truck for while, it's worth it.
I have to agree, and you cant beat the waranty either. I bought one for our explorer and it has a 3 year no questions asked as well as a 7 year pro rated period. I was like holy cow mud thats awesome.

Aaron

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
SAStoy said:

Ryan
Gotta stick with the Optima. I would say go for the Red top though. The yellow is a bit expensive, but the reds aren't that bad. http://www.tna-sports.com/ Free shipping, and no sales tax. mine showed up the day after I bought it.. Great place to buy from. You want the red top 34r. I know the picture is orange, but it says

Optima 34R Orange Top (Top is now Red)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Optima Red Top, when it gets real cold nothing cranks an engine over better. 100 bucks at Costco and worth every penny. The terminals are backwards but the cables still reach and make sure you don’t throw away the plastic shipping protector on the top of the battery. I used that to make the battery fit the bracket since the battery is shorter.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well damn, seems to be a pretty unanimous response on the Optima Red top. I will give them a price check on EBay, maybe one can be had for less than a 100 shipped

·
Registered
246 Posts
There are lots of other batteries that will last just as well or better than the Optima. But the thing that really sold me on them, is that case they come in. I was way down in Mexico out in the boonies, and I had my big Optima group 31 aux. battery come loose while I was haulin booty through some dirt roads. The battery wedged itself against the radiator shroud, and the timing belt cover. It must have gotten alot of vibration and jarring before I got to camp and discovered the problem (glad I decided to inspect everything the next morning before leaving camp for the day). Anyway, there was a serious gouge that was cut into the case (rubbed into it I guess) and that plastic is thick! No problems and the battery was fine. (I discovered that the OEM battery hold-down bolt is the same thread size as the skid-plate bolts :D ). Anyway, I think a regular, thin plastic battery case would have been toast. And that would have sucked!

(Here is a pic of the dual batts.)

·
Registered
246 Posts
cloomis3 said:
What isolator or system did you end up going with for your dual batteries? I'd really like to set mine up with duals, but I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet.
I used a Xantrex Pathmaker controller/isolator. But that isn't exactly the best (or cheapest) option for everyone. ZR2Steve uses a simple Surepower isolator on his setup and it works great.

Side note: If you want to use battery combining for winching or welding though, then it is best to go with a heavy duty solenoid that will handle full power combining. I think Hellroaring and Wrangler NW have those, or you could make your own.

·
Registered
285 Posts
BajaTaco said:
...ZR2Steve uses a simple Surepower isolator on his setup and it works great
Been using it for 3 1/2 year now of trouble-free charging. Like Baja said, an isolator is not for all needs, but for camp lights/equipment and a fridge, they work just fine. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
ZR2Steve - Do you have any pics of your setup. How was the install?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Optima Red Top model 34/78

I'd say for the money get the red top. Just FYI, I managed to make a model 34/78 fit in my 99 Tacoma with little modifications to the wiring and battery bracket. Check out some pics here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/p1michaud
under the "Optima Red Top" album. I got mine at WalMart for real cheap!

I've got a write up nearly completed on the mods and install.
BajaTaco, get cracking!!! :D

Cheers,
P

·
Registered
60 Posts
BajaTaco said:
There are lots of other batteries that will last just as well or better than the Optima. But the thing that really sold me on them, is that case they come in. I was way down in Mexico out in the boonies, and I had my big Optima group 31 aux. battery come loose while I was haulin booty through some dirt roads. The battery wedged itself against the radiator shroud, and the timing belt cover. It must have gotten alot of vibration and jarring before I got to camp and discovered the problem (glad I decided to inspect everything the next morning before leaving camp for the day). Anyway, there was a serious gouge that was cut into the case (rubbed into it I guess) and that plastic is thick! No problems and the battery was fine. (I discovered that the OEM battery hold-down bolt is the same thread size as the skid-plate bolts :D ). Anyway, I think a regular, thin plastic battery case would have been toast. And that would have sucked!

(Here is a pic of the dual batts.)

sorry to hijack but who made the "bash plate" that you used on your bumper? i couldnt find an email address on your web site. i was wondering if i could get some sort of schematic or dimensions bc it looks relativly easy to build and as you said beefy as hell. i can never find stuff on here so please email me [email protected]

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
I love my Optima Yellow Top. But if you don't want to spend that much go with the Red.

Jason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts