TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the opportunity to purchase an optima battery at a discounted price and was what would be the best for my setup.
i currently have a 2003 trd Tacoma with an viair on-board air system but am looking to get a winch and two hella ralleye 1000 lights

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
if you go with the Optima... get the yellow top :2cents:

how much of a discount ?

I paid $ 150. (tax incl.) recently for a grp. 34/78
no discount, local retail purchase
^ didn't feel like shopping around

any cost lower then this ^ would be worth it for me

what group (size) battery are you looking to purchase ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Optima 34R is hard to find where I live. Got a good price on a redtop 34/78 at Sams Club when they still sold them.

Might just be my own bad luck but keep the receipt if you ever have warranty issues. Mine went bad from neglect, not the battery's fault. I had been led to believe any Optima dealer would exchange it but good luck on that. Every place I've gone to says take it back where you bought it. :2cents:

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I will never buy another Optima again. Since they have moved manufacturing to Mexico, their quality is hit/miss, more on the miss side. The warrenty blows too.

I got a Die Hard Platinum battery in my rig now. It's got a 4 year 100% free replacement, and after that, it's 100 month pro rated. You can't beat that.

Sealed AGM battery, made by Enersys, who manufactures Oddessy batteries. The DHP is exactly like a oddessy in every way, except the sticker and the color of the case. This is confirmed by Enersys. The reason why the price is much lower is because Sears can sell so many of them.

They don't make a 34R, but a 34 works just fine by extending the cables. Whichever battery you go with, you'll need to fab up a new mount.

-Phill

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
hey Phill...

I just bought into one of those new mexican JC YT's
So I'll be sure to let everyone know if it's a pos.

from the get go... it seems to be down on the volts
compared to my older (7 yo) YT. 12.75v (new) 13.05v (older prior to JC)
.30v seems like a big difference to me...
tho' I don't know all that much about it.

I'm already in discussion with Optima regarding that difference of voltage.
tho' I'm still waiting for further response.

I have no idea why the voltage is not similar or at least closer
to my 7 year old YT ?

maybe the JC's Optima has gone soft !? :dunno:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just bought one myself and the diehard platinums are the best for the money and possibly the best regardless of money. There's some really good reviews out there on them and the warranty is solid. I wish the 34 from them was cheaper. At the time I bought all models were $210 no matter what size. I bought the group 65 (P2). It's a lot of battery, but so far so good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd recommend the diehard platinum too. Got mine a couple 3 years ago.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I've got the platinum as well. Can't beat the price and warranty.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not sure if you have a costco anywhere near you, but Kirkland batteries are one of the best out there imo. I've got 2 in my 4runner and they work great. When I had one in my pickup, I'd have music going half the night when we were camping, and she still started in the morning. Never had any issues with them either, and you get like a 100-month warranty from costco, and everyone knows costco is the best about returns. My dad just replaced his 2 yellow tops in his dodge cummins with kirklands, the yellow tops died after only 2-3 years. Kirkland batteries are made by the same company that makes Optima from what I've heard too. Really good price too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you go with the Optima... get the yellow top :2cents:

how much of a discount ?

I paid $ 150. (tax incl.) recently for a grp. 34/78
no discount, local retail purchase
^ didn't feel like shopping around

any cost lower then this ^ would be worth it for me

what group (size) battery are you looking to purchase ?
i have a pro-deal, where i get 40% off any optima battery

1 - 14 of 14 Posts