TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I knew there was a good reason I "needed" a new "REAL" rear bumper but I promise I did not try to break this. ;) All kidding aside though, check out what happens to our taillights when barely tapped by the bumper. You can't see them in these photo's, but both tabs that the lens housing screws go into were sheared off by the bumper when I tapped the underside of the bumper on a rock.

Here's where I tapped the bumper-

Does anyone see the potential here-

My temp fix, gotta love duct tape-

I guess I'm lucky the lens itself didn't break, I can probably super glue the tabs back on the housing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've had problems with this too. I cut the plastic top edge on an angle and actually pulled out on both sides of the bumper to clear the tail lights to avoid this in the future and then I slide sideways into a tree stump and take out a taillight and part of the fender anyway. Beside the fact that my rear bumper SMILES at everyone behind me.

·
Banned
755 Posts
^^^EEK!

Yup, same problems here. Need a real rear bumper...

I landed on the bumper and broke both mounting tabs/ears on the light housing, too. Fixed it up with Gorilla Glue. No problems so far, but I'd laike to be able to not worry about it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Yep, I did it too.

I posted about it here, but it was a year ago at the Halloween Take over.

That post is probably on page five hundred and something.

I was doing a trail on the night run, and smacked the bumper on the ground.

Skinned the paint on the bumper, made a dent, yanked off the mudflap, and broke my tail light.

I used some badass epoxy to put the tabs back on, squirted a little touch-up paint, pulled the other three mudflaps off, and got on down the road. It's still holding fine a year later.

Now, I can look at a hole and know if my bumper is in danger. I've found that going VERY slow will just drag the bumper without hurting anything, but going fast will drop the weight of the truck on it and tear shit up.

With a little caution and common sense you can wheel without hurting it.

·
Banned
755 Posts
I fail to see how a design flaw correlates to poor build quality. I mean, damning Toyota for using plastic light housings. :rolleyes: seems kinda silly to me. The blame here goes to the designers, not overall quality.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't even see it as a design flaw.

It's just a great big ass. Plain and simple.

All you have to do is go slow enough to avoid dropping the whole weight of the truck on the bumper.

I'm sure Rosie o'donnel has to do the same thing for the same reason!

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is neither a design flaw, nor poor build quality. Why would Toyota take the time to make sure you didn't bust the tail light housing if you smash the ass end of the truck on the ground? The bumper is not designed to move in that direction anyway. This is like saying that the air bag breaking the windshield is a design flaw. If your air bag deploys, you've got bigger problems to worry about than the windshield.

·
Banned
755 Posts
^ you could have used a better analogy...like...blaming the locker for flipping your truck while doing doughnuts. :D

Maybe design flaw is a poor choice of words. Maybe a better choice would be that this is a minor detail concerning off-road situations that was overlooked by the designers. I say this knowing that Toyota marketed this truck as an off-road capable vehicle. I guess you are saying I should not believe the "TRD Off-Road" moniker on the side of the truck? Say what you will, but there are 4 guys in this thread with the same problem.

Based on your logic, why even have a bumper? If it can't function properly w/o causing damage to the rest of the vehicle...why even bother?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
When they first came out with the 05 I said it was a POS right off. Now everyone is finding out that was indeed the case.

When I first set eyes on one, it was at Takeover where there were Toy marketing weenies in a room full of enthusiast and they didn't ask one damn question. All they did was try to cram their crap down every ones throat. I got pretty much the same kind of shit from the Toy FJC guys on the Rubicon run this year.
The 05/06 Taco and the FJC is Detroit me-too styling while the engineering, materials, engineering and build quality also looks to be Detroit me too these days.

It's evident that the marketing weenies and bean counters have assumed total control over the Toyota Motor Corporation while the quality and engineering groups are in the back seat with little to say. At least in North America they have.

Toyota is clearly on that old slippery slope. If you folks paid more for Toyota's historic relability, you were cheated. They are selling off the label now and I do feel sorry for you folks because you really didn't get what I think you were paying for.

If I were to buy a truck today, I think I'd go with a Detroit model before a Toyota. May as well have cheaper replacement parts since you're gonna be needing them anyway. It's one thing to be bent over for the initial vehicle purchase but there is no since in being bent over again every time you walk up to a parts counter to replace their crap.

I bought my Toyota on word of mouth recommendation from existing owners. If anyone asks me now, I will tell them to either buy a used earlier model or buy something else and save their money. It's sad to say but it's true. That from what once was an enthusiastic owner.

I'm really glad that I have a 95. The quality has been on a decline ever since. Even the later early model Tacos have more cheap shit in them. Just look under the hood of an early taco like up to a 97 model then compare to one from 2000 or later year. See for yourself how much metal was replaced with plastic. Compare things like the throttle body and MAF.

As far as the warranty, I wonder if Toyota would even do a recall like they did for the early 3.4L engines. Somehow I doubt it. I think they would do as much as they could to sweep it under the carpet and keep mum so as not to have a negative impact on next quarters numbers.

Oh well, it was inevitable, nothing is forever.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dick Foster said:
Those of us that have an '05+ might not want to face up to this reality, but I think you pretty much nailed it with all your observations in this post. I still think it's a good compromise vehicle for what I want to do (towing and wheeling) with it, but the key word is compromise. The quality issues though, as you pointed out are another matter. :(

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not on the boat...

I'm just not on the boat with this line of thinking. Yeah, it's a 4x4 - that is, it is equipped with four wheel drive. That doesn't mean you should take a $30K rig out and intentionally beat the hell out of it.

I bought one because it beats the crap out of the rest of the manufacturer's offerings and I wanted a new 4x4. I don't wheel as hard as the rest of you guys, that's pretty obvious. But, I also plan on upgrading certain components before I even attempt some of the trails you guys like to run. Certain components of ANY vehicle are going to need to be upgraded before running some of the more brutal trails.

Replacing the all of the ridiculous plastic/crap bumpers, re-running the exhaust so the crossover isn't a rock target, rock sliders... If you want to beat the ever-livin'-hell out of your truck, why not armor it up before hand?

I don't see any of these things as a Toyota issue as much as an application issue. It tows, it runs, it's not let me down anywhere. That said, my exhaust cross-over needs to be re-run before it snags a couple more rocks. That's more me being new to this sport than it is Toyota's poor design.

All in all, I'd much rather be piloting the 06' Taco than getting towed out in a Ranger, Colorado, Canyon, Dakota, H3, or a Frontier...

All in preference I suppose. Nothing these days is built out of real metal and designed for the abuse that trucks of two decades ago could handle out of the box. Somehow, this is still considered progress.

·
Banned
755 Posts
Buying, wheeling and breaking a truck, no matter how much is spent on it, is the owner's decision, though. I paid for it, and if it breaks I'll pay to fix it. We are all very aware of the risks we take with a newer vehicle on the trail.

But again, if they don't want folks using it in that manner, then don't market it that way and take the "TOYOTA RACING DEVELOPEMENT OFF-ROAD" stickers off the side. Or at least give me a print-out defining what is considered ok and what is considered too extreme. I would also point to the fact that the whole foundation of this forum is based upon toyota truck off-road enthusiasts. And not all of us have the luxury of owning a dedicated, hard-core trail rig. The rest do what we can with what we have to enjoy the sport.

Besides, it's not like we're talking about guys jumping dunes, busting CV's and twisting driveshafts every weekend. These are simple trails. Rock rash. And these trucks should be able to handle a little trail damage now and then w/o that damage causing a domino effect on the rest of the vehicle. Thats all I'm saying.

As far as quality of my truck goes. Best I've ever had and I'm pretty happy with it. Sure it has faults, but comparing it to a domestic may be reaching.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dick Foster said:
When they first came out with the 05 I said it was a POS right off. Now everyone is finding out that was indeed the case.

When I first set eyes on one, it was at Takeover where there were Toy marketing weenies in a room full of enthusiast and they didn't ask one damn question. All they did was try to cram their crap down every ones throat. I got pretty much the same kind of shit from the Toy FJC guys on the Rubicon run this year.
The 05/06 Taco and the FJC is Detroit me-too styling while the engineering, materials, engineering and build quality also looks to be Detroit me too these days.

It's evident that the marketing weenies and bean counters have assumed total control over the Toyota Motor Corporation while the quality and engineering groups are in the back seat with little to say. At least in North America they have.

Toyota is clearly on that old slippery slope. If you folks paid more for Toyota's historic relability, you were cheated. They are selling off the label now and I do feel sorry for you folks because you really didn't get what I think you were paying for.

If I were to buy a truck today, I think I'd go with a Detroit model before a Toyota. May as well have cheaper replacement parts since you're gonna be needing them anyway. It's one thing to be bent over for the initial vehicle purchase but there is no since in being bent over again every time you walk up to a parts counter to replace their crap.

I bought my Toyota on word of mouth recommendation from existing owners. If anyone asks me now, I will tell them to either buy a used earlier model or buy something else and save their money. It's sad to say but it's true. That from what once was an enthusiastic owner.

I'm really glad that I have a 95. The quality has been on a decline ever since. Even the later early model Tacos have more cheap shit in them. Just look under the hood of an early taco like up to a 97 model then compare to one from 2000 or later year. See for yourself how much metal was replaced with plastic. Compare things like the throttle body and MAF.

As far as the warranty, I wonder if Toyota would even do a recall like they did for the early 3.4L engines. Somehow I doubt it. I think they would do as much as they could to sweep it under the carpet and keep mum so as not to have a negative impact on next quarters numbers.

I'll let you know if my gas gauge, oil sensor go all crazy, fuel pump goes bad and if my transfer case starts rattling at 60K miles. Cause that's what I got from my last Detriot vehicle. Not to mension the toyota drives much nicer than anything short of 40K on the Detriot side, so I think I made the right decision buying the new POS Tacoma. No need to feel sorry I have more room, a little more displacement, a plug in the back for accessories, no use for a bedliner and the option to purchase a 4-door manual.

you ask someone with an 88 toyo whether you should buy a 98 or an 88 he'll say 88 or older.

Someone with a 98 will say 98 or older

Someone with a 05 will say the 06+ suck because of tire pressure monitor or whatever other improvement toyota has made.

When the hybrid version comes out one day we will all be labeling it as a POS right off the bat until we realize that it gets a higher mpg rating and is able to tow more at the same time.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I wouldn't be too hasty to lump the Nissan in with the rest of them.
I had a Nissan for 150K miles. The only reason I traded was to get a 4X4, V6 and an extended cab. For what it was, it was bullet proof. At the time I got the Toy, Nissan just didn't have what I was looking for but there was nothing wrong with the quality of the one I owned. I think it was an 85 or something. From what I can see Nissan is working harder at the off road market lately but I have not taken a really close look at one either. I do know from direct first hand observation that Toyota is slipping.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts