TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, searched and came up with a blank page (literally) so I'll ask. Are there bed boxes that can be used in conjunction with a Can-Back top? If not, what are those of your with toppers/camper shells using to safely store your gear in the bed (as opposed to on a rack on top)? I can't do custom/permanent because I'm an idiot and I need to use the truck bed.

I have a 2001 double cab Tacoma.

Thanks for your advice.

TJK

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
I have a toolbox that is mounted in the bed up by the rear window. Doesn't interefer at all with the CanBack - You'll have to get one that does not sit over the rails. If you want some pics or more info send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
4xClover said:
I have a toolbox that is mounted in the bed up by the rear window. Doesn't interefer at all with the CanBack - You'll have to get one that does not sit over the rails. If you want some pics or more info send me a PM.

Mine goes over the rail and I have a softopper. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Delta Hopper. It's a chest style box. I just strap it in with a ratchet strap. Obviously, if someone wanted to take it they could, but it does allow me to take it out easily if I need to use the bed.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Ol' Scott said:
Well mine goes over the rail and I have a Can-Back. :D
Do you have pics of your setup? I have an over-the-rail bed box that I use only when I go wheeling. Would like to get a Can-back one of these days if they ever start making them again and would hate to have to get rid of my bed box if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Found a few pics of mine. It's an older style box. Jerry rigged with painters plank / orchard angle steel / grade 8 bolts lol.

I had the softopper off for this trip, but I can easily but the softopper over it. Also opens up just fine with the softopper on.

I'll take more pics later.....i'm starting to feel drunk :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
TJK said:
Does it remain in place when you wheel? Or do you have trouble with it getting loose?

Thanks,

TJK
If anything it slides from side to side a little bit. I've never had a problem with it though. I have a spray in liner with a rubber mat on top which keeps things in place pretty good.

The Double Cab bed is so small that I couldn't really afford to permanently mount something. Right now I've been taking the box out on a weekly basis so I can fit my ice shack and tow sled in the back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Koke said:
If anything it slides from side to side a little bit. I've never had a problem with it though. I have a spray in liner with a rubber mat on top which keeps things in place pretty good.

The Double Cab bed is so small that I couldn't really afford to permanently mount something. Right now I've been taking the box out on a weekly basis so I can fit my ice shack and tow sled in the back.
Having the box mobile would be a plus for me.

OK -- I have to ask -- what is an ice shack? Ice fishing digs?

TJK

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Thanks for the pics, CYI5. Nice truck. Kind of hard to see from the pics, but it looks like you can barely fit an over-the-rail bed box in the space between the front and 2nd support pillars.

Still hoping to see pics of Ol' Scott's setup. Then again, it might all be a moot point if the can-back never sees production again, and from the sounds of things, looks like that might be the case.

·
Registered
870 Posts
you can fit it in between the front and middle support but u will have to leave the sides rolled up all the time because they probably wont snap to the frame

·
Registered
602 Posts

Here are some pictures from my camera phone, sorry, my digital camera is having battery problems. But yea, if you just mount the tool box on top of the Can-Back rails it works pretty well, just mount it like you'd normally mount a tool box. Like trdtacostand said, you can't snap the FRONT snaps at all, but the back 3 will snap. If you take advantage of the velcro flaps on your Can-Back you don't really miss the front snaps. It's a little harder on the drivers side due to my CB antenna mounted on the box.

I've slept in the back with this set-up when it rained and not much rain got in, about as much as normally got in before I mounted the tool box.

I'd say the biggest downside to this is that you can't open the lid entirely. It opens enough for me to reach in and get whatever I need though (it's easier if you're in the bed, but managable to do from the sides). But I imagine if you got one of those low profile boxes or maybe a smaller one like they fit onto double cabs it would be even better.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the pics, Ol' Scott. That's a cool setup you have. My bed box looks exactly like yours as does the CB antenna mount (mine's on the driver side bed box, too). I didn't even think about that til I saw your pics. Also didn't think about the sides not snapping in place like you and trdtacostand said, nor did I think about the box lid probably not opening all the way up, either. All good points to consider if I can ever get my hands on a can-back.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts