TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I wasnt sure which topic to post this in so I figured this one would work :D . Do any of you have soft/snap on bed covers? Im looking to get one put on my truck so that I can keep stuff in the bed without it getting covered in snow here in NY. One of my questions is; currently i have diamond plate bed rail protectors that when i loosen i can see that they have scratched the paint :xdevil:. Will a snap on bed cover be able to be placed on top of these or will they have to be removed? I'm just worried about all of the scratches showing if they have to remove them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I have the plastic diamond plate covers and I have put on a Tonnoe cover and a cap without a problem. Most just clamp on. I dont think you will have an issue. One thing though, put your cover on in a heated garage or on a warm day. They shrink in cold and are almost impossible to snap.

Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, i'm definately having a pro put it on....im not so good with stuff like that.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
JASN2004 said:
thanks man, i'm definately having a pro put it on....im not so good with stuff like that.
He's talking about after it's installed. For example, if it's a cold day and you unsnap it or open it up to put something in the bed, you'll find that it's nearly impossible to snap it shut again because the tonneau has shrunk in the cold. It may not be so bad if you're quick, but if it's left undone for any length of time, you'll be hard-pressed to close it up again (until it gets warm).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
JASN2004 said:
Hello, I wasnt sure which topic to post this in so I figured this one would work :D . Do any of you have soft/snap on bed covers? Im looking to get one put on my truck so that I can keep stuff in the bed without it getting covered in snow here in NY. One of my questions is; currently i have diamond plate bed rail protectors that when i loosen i can see that they have scratched the paint :xdevil:. Will a snap on bed cover be able to be placed on top of these or will they have to be removed? I'm just worried about all of the scratches showing if they have to remove them.
I put an Extang soft tonneau cover on my truck when it was new (2000). I bought an under the rail bed liner because I planned on getting the tonneau. I remember the owner of the place telling me it wouldn't matter either way. The frame for the tonneau will sit on top of the rail protectors. I like the look and the protection from the elements when it's closed (black truck/black cover), but it's a pain when you want to close it in cold weather. You have to heat it up with a hair dryer if you do it outside. It's going on it's 5th. winter and other than a few minor cracks & one broken snap (my fault) it's held up pretty well. If I remember it cost about $225. If you have scratches on the top of the rails I figure the frame of the cover will hide them. Also, don't keep the 3 cross braces stored in the bed when it's open. They develope legs. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
My 2004 DC is 1 year old and I went thru 3 different set of cover, it all depend on what is your requirment, as for myself, I need waterproof, lockable and open/close easy and don't take up too much space on the bed, and I end up with the ACCESS ROLL-UP COVER from www.realtruck.com

Please don't make the same expensive mistake I make, ask around on this board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
God help you if you try to resnap it after you take it off in the cold

Ive got the extang as well, w/ no problems. It should go right over your diamond plate rails w/o any issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
JASN2004 said:
thanks man, i'm definately having a pro put it on....im not so good with stuff like that.
p.s. Don't pay to have it installed. Most aftermarket shops will put it on for free. It's simple to install new. 6 C-type clamps fastened by Allen screws along the bed rails. 3 on each side. The 3 cross braces fit into these. The snaps slide in the channels of the frame to line up with the mate on the cover. Not like the older covers that came with a template specific to your truck and you had to drill holes! Mine have "looser/tighter" adjustments on the snaps as well as two, (higher/lower), attatchment points for the cross braces. Tighter in summer/Looser in winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
I just remembered....I have a friend with a full size ram and he has a cover that is soft but on a hinge and you just pop it up to get in and pop it down like I a trunk. Nice design and I think he paid like 300 and something for it. You can roll it up too if you need to. Something like this http://www.4x4x4.com/Images/Tufflida.jpg Not sure of thats a hard or soft cover in picture but they make soft ones that come up like this. Very cool if you ask me.

Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
cbr900rr95 said:
My 2004 DC is 1 year old and I went thru 3 different set of cover, it all depend on what is your requirment, as for myself, I need waterproof, lockable and open/close easy and don't take up too much space on the bed, and I end up with the ACCESS ROLL-UP COVER from www.realtruck.com

Please don't make the same expensive mistake I make, ask around on this board.
Nice site for the Access Roll-Up Cover. Things have changed for the better in 5 yrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
I can't really speak for the diamond plating thing but I would suggest looking into the Extang TuffTonno. It is real easy to get on and off even in the cold. I went with one because I didn't want the snaps...they let sand blow in under the cover. Here you go... http://www.extang.com/docs/tufftonno.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I got a extang soft tonneau on my (dont hate) Nissan, that you can snap and roll up and it also has the tilt function as well. I really like it alot and if I need it removed all thats needed is to remove the side shocks and tilt it foward and its off. One person can take it off its not to difficult at all, it must must only weigh somewhere between 10-20 pounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I have had good luck with the lund genesis snap tonneau covers. Definitely the easiest cover I have had to put back on in the cold weather. I have had the extang and it seems that the tarp material is a lot thicker on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
mycirus said:
I just remembered....I have a friend with a full size ram and he has a cover that is soft but on a hinge and you just pop it up to get in and pop it down like I a trunk. Nice design and I think he paid like 300 and something for it. You can roll it up too if you need to. Something like this http://www.4x4x4.com/Images/Tufflida.jpg Not sure of thats a hard or soft cover in picture but they make soft ones that come up like this. Very cool if you ask me.

Bruce
One of my friends at work just got one of these from extang for his chevy. Really slick design. I definately want one of these for my new 05. I have an older covercraft cover on my 89 toy. Its great not having to shovel the snow out of the truck, but take it off in the winter and you'll have a hell of a time getting it back on. The other thing slick about the extang, not only is it hinged, the whole thing comes off in one piece. Need to load the truck up, just take the whole thing off and stick it in the garage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
JASN2004 said:
Hello, I wasnt sure which topic to post this in so I figured this one would work :D . Do any of you have soft/snap on bed covers? Im looking to get one put on my truck so that I can keep stuff in the bed without it getting covered in snow here in NY. One of my questions is; currently i have diamond plate bed rail protectors that when i loosen i can see that they have scratched the paint :xdevil:. Will a snap on bed cover be able to be placed on top of these or will they have to be removed? I'm just worried about all of the scratches showing if they have to remove them.
If you can spend a little more, I got one that I love and it's no problem in cold weather. It's a Literider roll up soft tonneau cover. I got it at www.truckstuffusa.com. It was $369 a few years ago. It comes with rails that clamp on to the bed rails which have velcro on them. The velcro makes it eeasy to open and close rather than the snaps and the closure at the tailgate has a bar in it the snaps down and draws the cover taught. I even had it on over the diamond plate bed rail covers before I replaced them and the under the rail drop in bed liner with Line-X. It's a sweet cover - I love it.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top