TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't flame me for this. I tried searching, but all I could find was the demello bed bar. Anyway, as I was eating breakfast, I was thinking of my old dakota that had the rollbar with lights on it, and I started thinking about something I could do to the tacoma to get that without the "******* look" no offense, I drove this truck for a year.lol. anyway, I think I found it. I thought of this bar that will go onto the sliding rails. It will have two different support bars so it won't fall back. I also thought of adding four lights up top, two for front driving and two for reverse lights. I also thought of adding two or three bars that go across the bed to add a high lift jack, more lights, or whatever. This would also be good for carying stuff, because if you ever needed a strong support, you could just slide it back. I haven't seen anybody who sells anything like this, atleast for the tacos. I'm thinking about cutting up the tubing and sending it to my welding shop to weld them together. I am still not sure if I should use square or round tubing. here's what i got. I am no artist:rolleyes: . Any suggestions are welcome. And its not going to be yellow either...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
look up headache rack, lol thats what they are called and htey are readily available

·
Registered
725 Posts
i really like that idea... i'll draw you somethin up on autocad so it is clear and neat... i'll have it to ya late in the day on fri.

·
Registered
725 Posts
yea good idea... i will do that

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, i looked at the headache racks, I didn't like the look of those. They have a construction truck type look. I want to make it look better and more useful.

·
Registered
725 Posts
just to let you know i won't have the drawing until monday afternoon... sorry about that but the program is at school and i wont be back there till monday...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea, i can live without all those holes. and im not necessarily looking for a roll bar, i dont plan on rolling my truck over anytime soon:D . I'm looking for a more useful bar instead of just for lights.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is my version. No lights, but could be added easily. It bolts to the rails with 4 bolts. In and out in a couple of minutes. It is aluminum and very lightweight. I have hauled kayaks, lumber, steel tubing with it and the removeable front and rear rack system I built. Its main purpose is to keep the dog's collar from scratching the cab of the truck and to provide an anchor point for his tether. It is just slightly taller than the roof rack rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my version. No lights, but could be added easily. It bolts to the rails with 4 bolts. In and out in a couple of minutes. It is aluminum and very lightweight. I have hauled kayaks, lumber, steel tubing with it and the removeable front and rear rack system I built. Its main purpose is to keep the dog's collar from scratching the cab of the truck and to provide an anchor point for his tether. It is just slightly taller than the roof rack rails.
I like this alot. this is very similar to what I have pictured in my mind. I am trying to picture how it would look with two bars going across instead of one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
that rack looks good... i like the idea of the easy on/off mounting points... and from what i see it looks like it is pretty stable... that is what i pictured in my mind except with the upper bar about roof level and one more bar in the middle for a high-lift

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright, i want to revive this thread. taco4life, did u ever get that drawing, if so, post it up. i am still up for some more ideas. this will be my first project besides the crap lights i made the brackets for, which will be coming down if i make this bar. i will hopefully start doing this within the next few weeks.:D

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
i have the drawing its just a matter of bringing it home and throwing it on the computer

·
Registered
725 Posts
is there any way i can copy and paste it to the forum?? otherwise i have to go through all this bullshit to get it online

1 - 20 of 40 Posts