TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Ocotillo Wells this weekend, and realized that my bed has NO light what-so-ever. I did a search and only really found the Bed bar lights. Im looking for more of a "hidden" install...... I remember a post a while ago where a guy installed some lights in the bed, and had a switch in his tailgate. Does anyone have a link to that writeup, or another writeup that shows how to fully install some exterior bed lights? Thanks all. -Cam

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
SocalTaco said:
Just got back from Ocotillo Wells this weekend, and realized that my bed has NO light what-so-ever. I did a search and only really found the Bed bar lights. Im looking for more of a "hidden" install...... I remember a post a while ago where a guy installed some lights in the bed, and had a switch in his tailgate. Does anyone have a link to that writeup, or another writeup that shows how to fully install some exterior bed lights? Thanks all. -Cam
http://www.roundeyes.com/LED_Lighting-Ultimate_Off_Road_LED_White.html
these aren't cheap, $30ea, but they throw a lot of light and you could hook 8 of them together, leave them on all night and your battery wouldn't know the difference ;)

you can mount them up in the rails where they will not be seen and will be out of the way. I've seen some mount them up on the rear of the cab as well with the wiring put though the upper brake light assembly.
they can mount with screws or use that super-sticky 2-sided tape stuff.

I have two of these mounted under the hood and they light up the whole engine compt.
http://www.roundeyes.com/LED_Lighting-Off_Road_LED_s_White_Mini.html

check Pirate or just contact Bruce @ Roundeyes for several writeups using these.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I thought about adding some rope lights or similar under both bed rails. While that would illuminate the bed with enough light to arrange cargo etc. it would not blind you with glare either. For about a buck a foot you can get incandecent rope light for a little more and more brightness per foot you can get LED rope light. Just be sure to get 12V and not 120V rope light.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I thought about adding some rope lights or similar under both bed rails. While that would illuminate the bed with enough light to arrange cargo etc. it would not blind you with glare either. For about a buck a foot you can get incandecent rope light for a little more and more brightness per foot you can get LED rope light. Just be sure to get 12V and not 120V rope light.
And for a little more you can get neon......

Get a headlamp...festooning your bed with rope lights is one step above christmas lights and neon tubes. Say no to rope lights...for the love of gawd!

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Dick Foster said:
but you have so much crap back there that the light from the ropes would'nt do any good :p ...might as well stick with what you have now ;)

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
If you're handy with electronics the Luxeon LEDs come in up to 5 watts now. Those guys used Luxeon 1 watt emitters.
The first was 1 watt then 3 and now they come in 5 watts.
Luxeon is actually a Philips company and the LEDs are made right here in San Jose. You have to pay particular attention to heat sinking so their Star products would probably be easier to work with for most folks. You want to attach them directly to a heat sink of some kind. The sheet metal body would be great.
You want to set the operating current for the 5 watter to 700ma with with Star product so the series resistor would be 14V/700ma or a 20 ohm 10 watt resistor maybe a 15 or 20 watt resistor would be safer. The head lamp my wife gave me for Christmas has a 3 watt Luexon in it and that thing is really bright. It's supposedly good to 56 feet at full tilt but that's with a parabolic reflector. With a 5 watt Luexon in each corner of the bed, it should be bright enough but then you'd have the glare to contend with.

Here's a link to the datasheet if anyone wants to mess around with them.
http://www.luxeon.com/pdfs/DS40.pdf

Future Electronics the exclusive distributor in the US. Here is the ordering link.
http://www.luxeon.com/products/rd_order.cfm?sortBy=onlinePrice&
Yes they take credit cards.

Figure on spending about $5 or so for each Star mounted LED.

I would but the last thing I need right now is yet another half baked project in the works.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Granted for a bed as full of shit as mine is you'd want to have the lights mounted over head which is why I have the three LED arrays mounted on the bottom of my bed cover. They are pleanty bright for what they are needed for and come in real handy for cooking on the tail gate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dick Foster said:
How would you know? You're just anothor one of those IFS fucksticks. LOL
I am assuming you talking to me computard......lick my nuts please :D

On a slightly more friendly note, I was born and raised in Los Gatos...where about is Casa Foster?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It's on Drakes Bay Ave. close to National and Almaden. If I throw a rock over my back fence it lands in San Jose.

Gee they must be so small I can't see them. Maybe if you had some nuts to begin with?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Led

Dick Foster said:
That would work. You can probably find some in an LED flavor if you looked for them.
Im pretty sure that Northern Tool has them. Im gonna run by there this week.

Really in no hurry to do much of anything until deer season is over.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Dick Foster said:
If you're handy with electronics the Luxeon LEDs come in up to 5 watts now. Those guys used Luxeon 1 watt emitters.
The first was 1 watt then 3 and now they come in 5 watts.
Luxeon is actually a Philips company and the LEDs are made right here in San Jose. You have to pay particular attention to heat sinking so their Star products would probably be easier to work with for most folks. You want to attach them directly to a heat sink of some kind. The sheet metal body would be great.
You want to set the operating current for the 5 watter to 700ma with with Star product so the series resistor would be 14V/700ma or a 20 ohm 10 watt resistor maybe a 15 or 20 watt resistor would be safer. The head lamp my wife gave me for Christmas has a 3 watt Luexon in it and that thing is really bright. It's supposedly good to 56 feet at full tilt but that's with a parabolic reflector. With a 5 watt Luexon in each corner of the bed, it should be bright enough but then you'd have the glare to contend with.

Here's a link to the datasheet if anyone wants to mess around with them.
http://www.luxeon.com/pdfs/DS40.pdf

Future Electronics the exclusive distributor in the US. Here is the ordering link.
http://www.luxeon.com/products/rd_order.cfm?sortBy=onlinePrice&
Yes they take credit cards.

Figure on spending about $5 or so for each Star mounted LED.

I would but the last thing I need right now is yet another half baked project in the works.
hmm, that sounds like a fun project. a string of 8 rock lights ;)
ok, how do we get started?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dick Foster said:
It's on Drakes Bay Ave. close to National and Almaden. If I throw a rock over my back fence it lands in San Jose.

Gee they must be so small I can't see them. Maybe if you had some nuts to begin with?

I used to live on Tait near downtown...I also used to be a bouncer at Mountain Charlies and Los Gatos Bar and Grill, don't even know if they are both still there. It has been about seven years since I have terrorized the streets of LG.

I pressing my nuts against the window right now, go to google earth and view Frisco, TX. You can't miss'em.......

Rope lights...that is still funny.... :rofl:

He is my shitty IFS rig for you to bag on.......I know you love the FJCs:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I rarely ever venture into down town LG. It's way to yuppified down there for me and there are no stores worth going to unless you're into the gay botuque bullshit.

I might go out there and do the rope light thing and do a write up on it just to spite you. Maybe you could drape some strings of the pretty colored rope lights on your FJC in order to complete the gay effect. There's no telling what you could get started. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I think I supplied enough info. You'd start out by ordering some of course. Remember though, with each LED yanking almost an amp of current they could run the battery down if left on for a long time. Not as quickly as incandescent lights but you'd not have the all night run time that you get with the much dimmer and lower power consumption standard LEDs. LEDs are more efficient because they don't put out as much spectral content as incandescents, which emit out all the way down into far IR or heat.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I think I supplied enough info. You'd start out by ordering some of course. Remember though, with each LED yanking almost an amp of current they could run the battery down if left on for a long time. Not as quickly as incandescent lights but you'd not have the all night run time that you get with the much dimmer and lower power consumption standard LEDs. LEDs are more efficient because they don't put out as much spectral content as incandescents, which emit out all the way down into far IR or heat.
past ordering the parts I wouldn't know where to start, LOL
;)

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I guess that's one of the shortcomings of being a liberal arts type. LOL
If you can figure out wood working you can figure out this stuff. It ain't hard.
I don't know why it throws so many people. It's because you can see current flow I guess but you usually can't see fluid flow in a closed hydraulic system either and for the most part it's the same thing really. LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts