TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to mount an Eezi-Awn Rooftop Tent on my '01 DC Taco and am in the works of making a new bed-rack topper, I am toying with the idea of adding a light bar section to it, but have to ask the experts if you think it would cause damage to the cab when flexing since the cab and bed are independent.

The rack will probably be designed to hold the rooftop tent flush with the cab when closed, and the new idea I am toying with is adding a section over the cab similar to this for a folding light bar:

I am not going for the above look, but am planing on doing a similar set up to this rack by Brittan with the front addition of the above rack and wondering what the gap needs to be to prevent damage when flexing?

The rack will probably be made of 1.5"X.90 wall round tube and the cross members will be 1.25 square. In the end it will get a custom cover to mimic the Can-Backs. What do you think?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
those wheels on that rig are so gay I don't know what to say!

flyingwil said:
I am going to mount an Eezi-Awn Rooftop Tent on my '01 DC Taco and am in the works of making a new bed-rack topper, I am toying with the idea of adding a light bar section to it, but have to ask the experts if you think it would cause damage to the cab when flexing since the cab and bed are independent.

The rack will probably be designed to hold the rooftop tent flush with the cab when closed, and the new idea I am toying with is adding a section over the cab similar to this for a folding light bar:

I am not going for the above look, but am planing on doing a similar set up to this rack by Brittan with the front addition of the above rack and wondering what the gap needs to be to prevent damage when flexing?

The rack will probably be made of 1.5"X.90 wall round tube and the cross members will be 1.25 square. In the end it will get a custom cover to mimic the Can-Backs. What do you think?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
217 Posts
TBob said:
those wheels on that rig are so gay I don't know what to say!
hey... those rims would work great....if they were melt down and make into something usefull. :flamethro

about the rack i would think that if you gave it enough room (from truck top to rack bottom) it would be fine. maybe three or four inches. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phatman said:
about the rack i would think that if you gave it enough room (from truck top to rack bottom) it would be fine. maybe three or four inches. :2cents:
You think the bed and the frame really move that much? I was thinking an inch and a half and I would be fine. :confused:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'll be building one to hold a confer rack, but it will be just aft of the cab w/lights 4 or 5 forward 2 rectangle hella's or kc's on each side and 2 rectangle's on the back... I just want a space for my spare, hi-lift, shovel, and axe!!! J.. I am just gonna make mine out of 1.5 DOM... :welder:

·
Registered
217 Posts
flyingwil said:
You think the bed and the frame really move that much? I was thinking an inch and a half and I would be fine. :confused:
i'm don't really know i was just throwing #'s out there. one way you might find out is by mesuring the bed movement from at full flex. you know put the truck on a ramp (or rock) to fine out how much it flexes. then take that and add some safty margin to it.

i've never done one but that's how i would go about it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
flyingwil said:

What are your thoughts?

I say to to each is ther own.. I seen this truck a few times in person.. Besides the rims & tires it's a fully capable truck that has had alot of susp. work done.. Not only that it's fuctionalbity is awesome and with his camera locations you can see alot from inside the cab. Like i said the wheel & tires aren't my thing but the truck is awesome and well built

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
x2 on flexing out the truck and measuring the body-bed movement. when i made my cb mount, i mounted it on the back side of my toolbox so that its between the box and the cab. ....however i did this without taking into account the body flex. i now am missing paint and have a small dent there :mad:

btw that rack on the dcab is freakin amazing. anybody want to build me one?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
...i would say about 1"-1.5" would be plenty of clearance...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
personally i would make it removable...

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
I know the truck in the photo is not yours, so no comment on the wheels :eek:

As for frame flex, go purchase either's Demello's or CBI's weld on frame reinforcement plates, less than $100 for either brand, and a large reduction of flex in the frame/bed area.

Demello's: Demello's frame reinforcement

CBI's: CBI's Reinforcement Plates

Good luck on the Fab job, it looks like it will work great!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Couldn't you just lay some plywood over the top of the rack and set up a tent? Seems a lot cheaper and lighter option. $1,500 for a tent, wow.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
When I go camping the wind gets ridiculous. It's bad enough for my tent sitting on the ground. I heard these tents hold up well to wind so maybe that's why it's $1500

1 - 20 of 27 Posts