TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a bed shell for my white '04 DC. I want one that is fairly nice but not too pricey. Does anyone have pics of their DC with a color-keyed shell on it and if so name the brand,model, and appx. how much it will run. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
here is mine

Hey, I got my SnugTop over a year ago. Pics are attached.

I had a 4Runner before, and knew I wanted to replicate the experience with the Tacoma.

Am I happy with the shell - yes.
Would I like to have something better - absolutely.

Let me know if you are interested in an indepth analysis of my experience with it.

Regards,

dieSonne

Attachments

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
I'd be interested in an in-depth analysis of your experience. I am looking to get a topper for my DCab too...

Jody.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Hint: look for a used one first. It will save you over half the cost. I bought a used one, and I am extremely happy with it. I just need to paint it black to match the truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
detailed analysis of the experience with the SnugTop bed shell

Prior to the purchase, I considered both Leer and SnugTop. I liked Leer bcs for the meer $200 they would wire it to the remote entry system. However, just before the purchase, I saw someplace that Toyota officially endorsed SnugTop. Plus a noticed a couple of SnugTop set ups on the street, and generally liked the way they looked. In the end, Leer retailer in NCAL suggested 4 to 8 week delivery, while SnugTop had it for me within a week. As a result, I went with the SnugTop.

The set up cost me between $1200 and $1600 - I simply do not recall. It has pathetic ralining on top, a relatively powerful light inside, a pretty good brake light at the top of the rear section, carpeted interior, sliding front window which also folds down, pop-out windows in the rear of the side glass panels, and a pop-out rear window/door with a single lock.

Issues include the following:
1. Lights wiring was done less than professionally. Bunch of amateurs.
2. Carpeting is not entirely perfect - there are at least two or three bubbles.
3. Railing is pretty bad - could not get Toyota ski rack attached to it - the cross-members are too wide, and the set up itself does not instill confidence. In fact, I think if I were to take it apart and put it back together, the bolts would break the plastic - it just feels flimsy. Don't like it.
4. The damn thing leaked during heavy rains (two days after the install). Took it back to the shop, they pretended to spray it with the powerhose and suggested that maybe I poured water inside the bed, as they could not find the leak. I, in turn, pretended that I intentionally dumpted a gallon of water inside the bed to spend my weekend nagging at the shop manager. As a result, did a little checking myself, and found that the shell leaks aroung right side railing installation, as well as through both rear glass door hinges. Figuring the shell has a lifetime warranty, when the carpeting rots, I'll take it back, and have kept the shell. To my great surprise, this year there are significantly less leaks. In fact, although I would not trust the shell to carry paper during the rain, the leaks are negligeable.
5. Visibility has been reduced. Rear posts for the shell are a bit wide. Also, it is quite difficult to see through 3 sets of tinted glass (cab, shell front, and shell rear) during night time. Although, this could be a blessing in disguise, as hi-beaming idiots on I-5 are no longer relevant.

On the other hand:
1. Color matching is perfect
2. All my crap is safe from the elements.
3. After a day-long hunting trip, I have the option of just throwing my stuff in the back and not worrying about it flying off on the freeway.
4. When I take my family to the snow or camping, all the wonderful useless stuff packed by my wife usually fits, and is transported safely and cleanly (which is a big deal - god forbid I loose a pillow or something).
5. Built in railing will allow me to install a basket of my choosing.
6. Although hytenor and sftoyota are likely to suggest otherwise, I'd like to think that I have gone through a number of serious off-road trips (there was this really big puddle I went through once or twice, then I've driven on a dirt road a few times, and I think that's it; oh wait, there was a trip to Eagle Lake, CA - that was a hair-raising experience... btw, hytenor and sftoyota had more fun laughing at me, than driving... well, whatever). Subsequent inspection of the shell proved the set up to be solid and reliable. Still, I would not take the shell on a trip to Rubicon, but:
7. Shell is not that heavy, and can be easily taken off by two guys. Although I am thinking that the wife will have to project manage such an undertaking.

Conclusion:
1. I am relatively satisfied with the shell - it is functional, somewhat good looking.
2. I would like to have something better - like a shell that can sing and dance, and may be do quick jlow bobs on the nights I camp out in the woods. A free shell would be very good as well.

Overall - it is slightly below my expectations in terms of craftsmanship, but is well worth the little bit of trouble.

I can do pics inside and out if you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had 2 A.R.E. shells. Fit was great and the paint match was perfect. One feature they offer is a drop down window so you can clean the glass between the truck and the shell. Think it was only $20 extra. Don't know if the others offer it but it's worth getting if they do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts