TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want something stronger than the toyota rail hook system in the bed and was thinking about taking the front bed bolts out and sliping in a D-Ring setup like the back has bolts have.

Has anyone tried this or something like it? Wondering if the bed bolt is long enough to add that in or will I have to replace with longer bolt? I haul Harleys in the bed sometimes and put a lot of lbs on the tie downs. Afraid to use the factory provided rail hooks and end up with a broken hook, bike, etc.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Checked out that link, looks like a good mod. The only thing that I noticed was that the bed bolt does not sit flat on the d-ring tab. IMO I would remove some material from the OD of the bolt head, so that it sits flush with the tab. This will prevent premature failure of the bolt while hauling heavy loads. It will also prevent the bolt from coming loose.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
10-4 optic illusion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured I would buy some non-toyota d-rings from the hardware store. Would make sure they do not interfer with the bolt. Seems kind of ridiculous to buy the Toyota ones for $20-$30 if you can buy heavier ones that look the same for couple bucks. Anyone tried using other d-rings?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Toyota D-rings for the front are great. I got 2 sets and put an extra set half way along the bed too. They are plenty strong and easy to install. I added some JB weld on the hardware to bond it to the bed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got some little U-bolts and some big washs and drilled 2 holes. Seemed simple enough and works well. I stole this idea from Cedarbarn.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Toyota D-rings for the front are great.
+1

I installed them to haul this 500lb bike from ID to CA and they were solid as a rock:

PS- Before anyone chimes in, I KNOW a bike like that should never be seen in the back of a truck but it broke down on me and I had to get it home.:eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
^Nice bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts