TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will walk you through the steps necessary to trim your trucks rear quarter section properly.

Alright, we all know how vulnerable our truck's bed sides can be when wheeling. I have decided to modify my existing rear bumper into a wrap around style unit. For the ultimate strength, I felt that trimming the offending bedsides was much easier than trying to adapt my bumper design to work around sheet metal whose purpose is somewhat trivial.

In the beginning:

The lower corner is a magnet for rocks and other hazardous things to smack into. Cutting it out doesn't really affect the beds functionality, so it can go.

Prep:

Masked everything off with ubiquitous blue painter's tape. I later chose to completely remove the tail lights and their wiring since I would be cutting and welding right next to them.

I used the top of the bed in conjunction with a laser level (PLS 5-way) to mark the cut line on the panel. You can get away with just a tape measure and marker.

A strip of duct tape provides a nice, thick protective layer since blue tape tends to tear rather easily.

Cutting:

1st cut was made with angle grinder and cutting wheel.

Followed first cut line with a sawzall and a 9" blade to get the inside parts.

Cleaned up the edge with an 80 grit flap wheel.

Re-enforcement:
I know some folks have left the inside corner bits intact as the bed sides will flutter at high speeds. Again, I didn't want to try and work around the sheet metal.

Traced a simple template of the fender radius from poster board. Heated and bent 3/8" round stock to match the radius nicely.

Tacked and ready to weld.

Welded, ground and flap wheeled. No fender edge trim needed here.

Its over already?

Needs a little more sanding, but for today it's good.

Parting shot:

Cut a big-rig mud flap in half and stenciled this on it while the paint on the truck was drying. Should be ready to cruise the malls now!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Looks killer. I'm on the verge myself..........

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
This will walk you through the steps necessary to trim your trucks rear quarter section properly.
nice touch with the round stock ;) how'd you get the paint to match so well? Mine would look like absolute shit if I tried that, LOL

are you going to try and replace the structure you wacked off (inside stuff that pretty much holds the bend rail ends together :p)?
...or...do what most do...add a ratchet strap to keep the bed rails together and call it good.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
me too man im so freakin tempted!!! but its like black! once you go :saw: you never go back! haha
lol cut mine about a year ago for a high clearance rear bumper..

This is how it ended up..

Went from that to this..

Then to this....

couldnt be happier with removeable bedsides , take em off leave them at camp (about 20lbs a piece ) wheel and then put them back on..

:headbang:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It's not really hard at all. Cut mine off for a rear bumper as well. I just touched up the edges with some block rustoleum from a paper towel paint brush and ran some of the fender trimming on it. Never had a problem with them "flapping in the wind".

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice touch with the round stock ;) how'd you get the paint to match so well? Mine would look like absolute shit if I tried that, LOL

are you going to try and replace the structure you wacked off (inside stuff that pretty much holds the bend rail ends together :p)?
...or...do what most do...add a ratchet strap to keep the bed rails together and call it good.
I strategically placed a few tack welds on the meeting edges to hold everything together, no problems so far, tail gate shuts just fine and stays closed. Truck was painted last year with the infamous Brightside roll-on paint, found out that Krylon banner red and Rustoleum Gloss red spray cans are very close matches.

I like the finished edge of that round stock Phil... A clean edge it so much nicer then some door edge trim...
Thanks again for the complements guys! Trying to contribute a to this place in my own small way.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I tried to keep most of the structural integrity at the corners when I cut my bedsides. In fact, I have about 2" below the actual bedside still intact. Since I have 2" square tubing it covers it pretty damn well. THe only problem I've had in the past is laying the weight of the truck on the corner and tweaking the bedside by the side mount. I have since put on some corner plating to fix this. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Anyone have an update on how this is holding up. I was going to look into it this weekend and just have not been able to pull the trigger yet. My biggest issue is the bed flex as I have a canopy w/ a roof rack mounted on it.
Any thoughts on if that will be a problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts