TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about spraying my wheels with be liner in a can. Has anyone done this to their wheels and I woud also like to know 1) the best affordable bedliner to apply with the best quality. 2) the steps and tools/ supplies I will need to do the job. 3) lastly pics of your wheels if ya got them. I really like the idea of spraying them but is it worth it and I don't wanna spend the crazy amount of money to get them powdercoated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd never even considered it. I don't know how well it would hold up to the centrifugal force generated at highway speed combined with wind resistance of the dimpling. I'm curious what you find. I prefer the texture of "Xtreme" but thats not rattle can.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd never even considered it. I don't know how well it would hold up to the centrifugal force generated at highway speed combined with wind resistance of the dimpling. I'm curious what you find. I prefer the texture of "Xtreme" but thats not rattle can.
What do you mean by Extreme? Is it a paint or a bed liner. And I've seen a lot of people with bed lined wheels, I pretty much wanna know the durability and cost of the set up. I definitely don't wanna pay a bunch of money to get them sprayed and I love doing projects like that my self. Gives me a sense of pride in my truck.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bedliner+sprayed+wheels+

^^^^ Search and you will find answers.

I dont know how much I like the idea, but the quickest and simplest (not always the best way) is to sand, clean, then spray. The most affordable bedliner I have found is Rustoleum (like $8 a can), although I have never used it on wheels... It goes on thinner than most bedliners, so you have to apply several coats. Its also a very fine grit (which may be better for wheels). From a distance it will probably just look like paint. Spray on bedliner is very easy to touch up as well.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If the surface is properly prepped, I'm pretty sure the stuff won't just slide off the wheels going down the highway. Wind resistance of dimpling? It will be just like the golf ball car on MythBusters.;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've been thinking about spraying my wheels with be liner in a can. Has anyone done this to their wheels and I woud also like to know 1) the best affordable bedliner to apply with the best quality. 2) the steps and tools/ supplies I will need to do the job. 3) lastly pics of your wheels if ya got them. I really like the idea of spraying them but is it worth it and I don't wanna spend the crazy amount of money to get them powdercoated.
I say try it, worse thing is the paint doesn't last/stick. then you try it again with regular wheel paint. Just dont try it on expensive wheels, maybe a junk yard downer spare or whatnot. then post pics and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I say try it, worse thing is the paint doesn't last/stick. then you try it again with regular wheel paint. Just dont try it on expensive wheels, maybe a junk yard downer spare or whatnot. then post pics and let us know how it goes.
I plan on spraying my stock 5 spoke trd wheels that came on my taco, they are starting to bubble and and the paint is starting to chip. I don't know if I wanna paint them because I don't wanna have to constantly spray scratches and I would rather them just hold up

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bedliner+sprayed+wheels+

^^^^ Search and you will find answers.

I dont know how much I like the idea, but the quickest and simplest (not always the best way) is to sand, clean, then spray. The most affordable bedliner I have found is Rustoleum (like $8 a can), although I have never used it on wheels... It goes on thinner than most bedliners, so you have to apply several coats. Its also a very fine grit (which may be better for wheels). From a distance it will probably just look like paint. Spray on bedliner is very easy to touch up as well.
I DID SEARCH! I just wanted to know personal experiences from guys that are running them. That "Let me google that for you" link is for douche bags

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I DID SEARCH!
Obviously not much, because the first link in the only search I cared to do on the topic, had an answer to every question you posted...

That "Let me google that for you" link is for douche bags.
Im glad you feel that way, because it was directed towards you.

And I hope you disregard the useful information I gave you, I would hate to see it used by someone so ungreatful.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
i used the rustoleum bedliner on the wheels on my taco and it looked great and held up better than any painted wheels i had. had em for two years and only small nicks from where i straped hard against rocks. id do it again in a heartbeat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obviously not much, because the first link in the only search I cared to do on the topic, had an answer to every question you posted...

Im glad you feel that way, because it was directed towards you.

And I hope you disregard the useful information I gave you, I would hate to see it used by someone so ungreatful.
I don't mean to be a dick you have been very help full I've just had too many people tell me to do the research which I always do previously. The reason I post the questions is because I like hearing multiple instances or experiences. I feel as though that site is retarded, one could just go to Google find a site and paste the link, without being slightly obnoxious, its just the name of the site. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings bro. I know I'll still need your advice and knowledge in the future

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rustoleum bed liner is like sandpaper. I rarely wash my truck with more then a power washer but when I did that shit was a bitch to clean.

I would stick to a semi gloss or topcoat the bed liner if you use Rustoleum.

or just use their hammered semi gloss paint if you want texture. It's similar to a wrinkle powder coat look and cleans easy.

Either way it's easy to touch up.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Rustoleum bed liner is like sandpaper. I rarely wash my truck with more then a power washer but when I did that shit was a bitch to clean.

I would stick to a semi gloss or topcoat the bed liner if you use Rustoleum.

or just use their hammered semi gloss paint if you want texture. It's similar to a wrinkle powder coat look and cleans easy.

Either way it's easy to touch up.
i used simple green. spray it on the wheels and wash it off before it dried and it was as clean and dark as the day i sprayed em:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i used simple green. spray it on the wheels and wash it off before it dried and it was as clean and dark as the day i sprayed em:confused:
Is simple green a car wash soap. Sounds familiar.and one last time the sand the wheel with a circular wire brush, use a paint thinner to cleanse then apply the rustoleum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know if the bed liner prep process is similar or the same with fiberglass like if I wanted to also do my fener flares or front bumper. I'd imagine i you wouldn't use a wire brush on fiberglass

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just some input on prep...

When I painted my wheels (normal paint, not bedliner) I just primed them and then hit them with rustoleum flat black, no other prep. That stuff is great, doesnt fade, rarely gets scratched and super easy to touch up.

Obviously, the more prep you do the better they look, but even just clean wheels + primer will smooth things out well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hope this helps out. I just lightly sanded down where the bubbles in the finish were. Cleaned the rims and then just sprayed bedliner in a can onto them. So far they've been holding up. Also, if they do get nicked I figure it would be easy to touch them up. Stock Sport rims aren't the best looking rim, but I like them a lot more now that I've sprayed them.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
you use a sponge to do it? cause that crap ate my sponges up. it's like literally trying to wash 60 grit sandpaper. all the grit holds dirt and mud much worse then any flat shiny surface.

IMO it sucks, but if you like it - you like it.

Ill stick to my cheap ass semi gloss to hide my rock rash

1 - 19 of 19 Posts