TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you were using modems and dialing BBS systems to communicate with others back before the WWW took off? Anyone remember FidoNet? Anyone run a dialup BBS back in the day? I used to run the Antimatter BBS in Sacramento, CA. This site brought back some memories!

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/916/

Had it running on a 2400 baud modem, then got a hookup on a Practical Peripherals 14.4k FXSA modem under their SysOp deal. Shortly thereafter, I bought a used USRobotics Courier HST 16.8K modem for $400. That was the shit back then! :)

916-489-6421
SACRAMENTO, CA Antimatter BBS
(1992-1994) Mike Ross

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Mike said:
How many of you were using modems and dialing BBS systems to communicate with others back before the WWW took off? Anyone remember FidoNet? Anyone run a dialup BBS back in the day? I used to run the Antimatter BBS in Sacramento, CA. This site brought back some memories!

Had it running on a 2400 baud modem, then got a hookup on a Practical Peripherals 14.4k FXSA modem under their SysOp deal. Shortly thereafter, I bought a used USRobotics Courier HST 16.8K modem for $400. That was the shit back then! :)

916-489-6421
(1992-1994) Mike Ross

Later,
....Mike
I got online when BBS's were fading away, but for the price my parents paid for our first PC, I could've gone to Oxford for at least a week.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I couldn't find the ones I used to hang out on. I spent a lot of time on them back in the early/mid 80's. Back on my Atari 800. I still have my old 300 baud modem and Atari laying around in a box. At one point I even jumped up to the super fast 2400 baud.

At the time I went under the name Arthur Dent.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mike said:
Searchlight BBS - "Terminal Frost" from 1993-1995ish
http://www.slbbs.com/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mike said:

916-489-6421
(1992-1994) Mike Ross

Later,
....Mike
Started out logging into local boards on a 300 baud modem. Upgraded to a 2400 Zoom, that was high speed. Ran the board on a Zoom 14.4k modem, paid around $220.00. Eventually upgraded to a 33.6k modem just before internet got popular and local boards all went away.

The Realm - Phoenix, AZ
Renegade BBS
1991 - 1993

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FreebirdAZ said:
Started out logging into local boards on a 300 baud modem. Upgraded to a 2400 Zoom, that was high speed. Ran the board on a Zoom 14.4k modem, paid around $220.00. Eventually upgraded to a 33.6k modem just before internet got popular and local boards all went away.

The Realm - Phoenix, AZ
Renegade BBS
1991 - 1993
I ran Telegard. Remember the whole Renegade/Telegard drama! That was some popcorn action for sure! :)

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Mike said:
Shortly thereafter, I bought a used USRobotics Courier HST 16.8K modem for $400. That was the shit back then! :)
I still have 2 of my USR couriers.. Got the 14.4's, then the daughter board upgrades to 28.8, after that they just got firmware upgrades to bring them up to 56k.. best modem ever made, and in fact they still sell it for a small sum..

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
My buddy and I ran the "Bit Heaven" BBS out of our dorm room at Central State University in Edmond, OK our first year in college -- both of us got degrees in Computer Science :rolleyes: I believe it was the "Green Machine" kernel or something like that. Don wrote a lot of assembly language drivers for it. I mostly kept up with content and he kept it running.

We ran it on two Radio Shack Model 4 computers!! 8086 processors. It ran off the 2 720k full height 5 1/4" floppy drives and the whopping 128k (yes, K) of memory on his and 64k on my machine with two more drives. We had the fastest modem around at 1200 baud!! :D And, we launched ourselves into infamy by getting a HUGE 20MB (yes, MB) hard drive!! :eek: That sucker was the size of a toaster oven!!

Pretty amazing stuff when I look back on it now. How far weve come. We started college in 1985 and started the BBS shortly thereafter in the dorm room. We were pretty popular fo people wanting to type their papers too. Made some $$$ at it :D Had a pretty fast little dot matrix printer too!!

Man, those were the days when you had to "work" at computers. Not like today by a long shot. Thanks for letting me remenber those good times. Hadn't thought about that stuff in years...

Jody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Outback
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing