TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 2.7 ltr, ext cab,40k miles logged. Hello to all. I hear, what sounds to me, like my belts are squeeking during cold starts or when the weather is damp. Once the engine warms to temperature, it goes away. I started noticing this around the 30k mark. Visual inspection of the belts and check for tension looks good. Any thoughts :confused:

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
mine does the same exact thing i was told its just moisture in the belts

·
Registered
40 Posts
My belts began to squeal a bit around 15K miles. Was not sure what it was, everything felt nice and tight. Broke out the straight edge and got a deflection measurement. Turns out the belts were not as tight as I thought. Did a quick adjustment on each and the noise has never popped up again. Now have a bit over 30K. Try tightening them. They will stretch over time, it is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TacoPoPo said:
My belts began to squeal a bit around 15K miles. Was not sure what it was, everything felt nice and tight. Broke out the straight edge and got a deflection measurement. Turns out the belts were not as tight as I thought. Did a quick adjustment on each and the noise has never popped up again. Now have a bit over 30K. Try tightening them. They will stretch over time, it is normal.
I guess I'm a little hisitant to tighten them up. 5 years ago, I smoked the bearings in an altenator of my old S-10 because I adjusted the belts too tight.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've got 60K on my 99 and I've had the same noise only in cold weather since new. I spray belt dressing on them couple times every winter to keep them quiet. I thought I was through with the problem when I put new belts on last year, but it came back this fall. Belt dressing solved the noise again.
Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tbplus10 said:
I've got 60K on my 99 and I've had the same noise only in cold weather since new. I spray belt dressing on them couple times every winter to keep them quiet. I thought I was through with the problem when I put new belts on last year, but it came back this fall. Belt dressing solved the noise again.
Tim
I'll give it a shot. Any particular brand you use?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Since I put a new power steering pump on and its really cold it squeeks for less than 1 second. I put paint marks on everything to make sure I didnt overtighten the belt, so it beats me what is making that brief squeek.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glenn54 said:
I guess I'm a little hisitant to tighten them up. 5 years ago, I smoked the bearings in an altenator of my old S-10 because I adjusted the belts too tight.
GM alternators are notorious for going bad, might not be due to the belt at all. Seroiusly, I would check the belt deflection against a straight edge. The Haynes manual, and FSM will have the specs for deflection, and how to check them. Like I said, with pretty low miles, mine had stretched out of spec. The A/C belt deflected twice the optimum amount, but felt fine to the touch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can you give me a brief how-to on tightening the AC Compressor belt. I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks

Clark (SupermanWV)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts