TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ya'll, i need some help with a problem. about a month and a half ago, i started my truck on a cold day and i heard a belt squealing. i would make noise for a few minutes, then quit, then start again a few minutes later. this went on for a few weeks, but it has not been happenning very often lately. i felt to see if the belt was loose and it felt fine. ive inspected the belts and they arent too worn or cracked. i bought, some belt dressing and even though i couldnt get to all the belts, i sprayed most of them. it only helped for a few minutes. then my friend (who ownes a T100 with 3.4) told me he had to spray grease into his power steering pulley because the bearings squeaked. so i tried that on the three upper pulleys, and it didnt help. then the other day, i reached down and was feeling the lowest belt and it wasnt quite as tight as the others. im wondering if it needs to be tightened. and if so, i need to know how to do it. so any info would be greatly appreciated.

searched, didnt find anything close to what i was looking for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, has anyone else ever had this problem? anybody? please?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well if you didn't have bad belts before you do now.
Belt dressing should not be used on serpentine belts only the older style V belts.
It could have been a bearing somewhere all along or just that one loose belt. I wouldn't cry about it too much though, you were probably due for some new ones. They don't go on forever and can weaken inside without ever showing any outward signs of wear because the cords inside the belt materail weakens.

Right now I'd say get yourself a new set of belts then follow then install them according to the info that can be found in the online FSM here. http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/.
A 3.4L is a 3.4L no matter what it's in so never mind that it's a Tacoma manual.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My newly aquired 04 Taco DC V6 does this when it's cold (read below 10 deg F) too. I was wondering what it is to. But hey I still have factory warrenty. Just need to find time to take it in. I'd dig deeper, but I figure that I can get it cured for free under warrenty for the time being.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dunno, Toyota might tell you something reall gay like:
we can't fix the belt because of the grey wire mod you have. Even though that didn't cause the squeeling...Toyota is caring less about the customers now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
stucktaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing