TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On average when should the automatic belt tensioner be changed that comes with the charger?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i've never heard of any of them going bad and i've never seen a service interval on them so heres a bump for ya

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was watching Two Guys Garage on Speedvision and I heard that once you get some lateral play in them or when they make a lot of noise when spinning freely without any load they should be replaced but I never heard of anyone replacing them...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gadget what is the tell tale signs of it needing replacement?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I know this is an old thread but mine has started moving back and forth when it's not underload. It's a noisey SOB.. The metallic sound resonates throughout the entire motor making you think its something worse. Now I just need to find a new one.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Well I know on other dynamic belt tensioners I've had (Ford Taurus) the idler pulley can start making a lot of noise or the adjuster can stop adjusting freely. One good sign would be if you start breaking belts often. You can put a wrench on it and see if it moves freely through the adjustment range and still has some spring to it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
mt_goat said:
Well I know on other dynamic belt tensioners I've had (Ford Taurus) the idler pulley can start making a lot of noise or the adjuster can stop adjusting freely. One good sign would be if you start breaking belts often. You can put a wrench on it and see if it moves freely through the adjustment range and still has some spring to it.
I can put a wrench on it and it jumps out of position and just dangles there. It's a bitch to get it aligned back up just to band aid it until I get my new one. The tensioner springs are badly corroded. She is in bad shape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
TRDRunner87
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing