TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad got me a 6" Craftsman Bench Grinder for my birthday. When I opened it up and sat it on my workbench, I didn't like how much room it took up. I wanted to find a way that I could securely mount it, but also be able to quickly remove it when I need the space.

The rig I came up with cost about $5.00 with parts I bought from the local Ace Hardware.

• 2 x 3/8" studs with holes
  • 2 x hitch pins
  • 2 x rubber grommets
  • 2 x washers
  • 4 x rubber o-rings
The hardest part was precisely drilling the 2 holes in the work bench. They had to be exactly right.

I put the washers on the studs, and then 1 o-ring above each washer. I slid the studs up from underneath the workbench. I put the rubber grommets over the studs, and put the other 2 o-rings in the grommets. This made the grommets hold the studs tightly, so that when I took the grinder off, the studs wouldn't fall out. Also the studs could be pushed down flush, and out of the way.

When the grinder is mounted the o-rings under the table keep everything tight when the pins are insterted.

The whole rig works great!!

Pics:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good idea. I will have to use that one

·
Registered
748 Posts
I cant stand small bench grinders.. Theres nothing more anoying that having to stop constantly waiting for it to spin up again.
12-18" FTW

But good mounting

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Theres nothing more anoying that having to stop constantly waiting for it to spin up again.
Yes - that can be quite annoying!

...If you make your own grinder out of a washing machine motor, that sucker won't bog down!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I cant stand small bench grinders.. Theres nothing more anoying that having to stop constantly waiting for it to spin up again.
12-18" FTW

But good mounting
dont put so much pressure on it idiot take your time and let it do the work moron

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Jamie.. that is like "why did I not think of that" kind of idea...
great idea!!
You need to post that on Garagejournal.com those guys would love it.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i was just thinking of something like this the other day and plan to get around to it sometime after the next ice age. my idea was to make like a receiver for your bench. maybe 2 or 3 on the ends and center. then mount your vive grinder and anything else to small plates with the square stock to slide into the receiver and you will be able to relocate them and store them out of the way and have you bench top free of clutter. this is only useful for those of us with one bench for everything and or limited space that like to mess around in the garage all the time.

props sqid

·
Registered
388 Posts
that is a great idea. props!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good thinking. I actually put mine UNDER the workbench. It's still about 10" above the ground but it sits on the bottom shelf. I realized that I use it maybe a few times a month and I can quickly access it when I need it. When I use it I basically am surfacing or grinding something quickly so I can't see having it mounted on the top of the bench getting in the way. That's what the big vise is for :).

Great idea though. This setup could be used for other bench mount tools as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts