TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a new bender and i was curious, is there a general rule of thumb where i should put the tube in the bender to start my bend?

i mark my tube where i want it to start, so where in the bender should i position the tube to make the bend start where i want it to?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive got a pro tools bender with a 1 3/4 die with a 6 inch radius. ive also heard start it 1 inch or so into the die from the edge.

·
Registered
764 Posts
just test it out a few times and you'll get the feel for it

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Start with a pair of sharpies. Black and??blue/ red. Mark every inch on a test tube section for about a foot and a half. Then, mark every half inch in between with the other pen. Put it in the bender, lock it in place. Make a mark on th e bender where right near the front to match a mark on the tube. Then, start a bend. after you get to 22-1/2* remove the tube. See where the bend actually starts on the tube. make scratch mark on the bender die at that point. That is your 0* start point. I use this method on all my dies so I can see where I want to be, ie 22,45,60,90* . It becomes much more accurate than the angle finder after the wire on the die has been bent.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Start with a pair of sharpies. Black and??blue/ red. Mark every inch on a test tube section for about a foot and a half. Then, mark every half inch in between with the other pen. Put it in the bender, lock it in place. Make a mark on th e bender where right near the front to match a mark on the tube. Then, start a bend. after you get to 22-1/2* remove the tube. See where the bend actually starts on the tube. make scratch mark on the bender die at that point. That is your 0* start point. I use this method on all my dies so I can see where I want to be, ie 22,45,60,90* . It becomes much more accurate than the angle finder after the wire on the die has been bent.
good advise paul, ive also found it very helpfull to just to measure where i want my bend, and move half the radius + half the material size forward and that gets me on the nose of where my bend will be centered.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
DesertTRD said:
good advise paul, ive also found it very helpfull to just to measure where i want my bend, and move half the radius + half the material size forward and that gets me on the nose of where my bend will be centered.
Ooohhhh that's good stuff, too!! It made it really easy when I did this to figure out how much tube I actually use when I am doing say a 50* bend, instead of a 90. I did a few, wrote down the length of tube used, and now it is much closer to where I want to be. The hardest part of bending is what you are describing, where to start on the OTHER side of the tube. Yes, we get the first bend right... but the 2nd bend??? It gets tricky!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts