TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I can't find any bolt on pre-made mounts for cheap (less than $15.00 a pc) and I have some 7"x5" 1/4" steel plate laying around so I'm throwing something together -
Are you guys bending the 1 pc plate into the L shape with an oxy/acc torch and a vise? This was my plan, I wasn't sure if this would weaken the mounts though. (dick's instructions didn't state how/if he bent the plate)
Then after bending 1 pc into an L, welding the back plate to complete the U shape around the frame -
Thanks -
Trevor

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Well I can't find any bolt on pre-made mounts for cheap (less than $15.00 a pc) and I have some 7"x5" 1/4" steel plate laying around so I'm throwing something together -
Are you guys bending the 1 pc plate into the L shape with an oxy/acc torch and a vise? This was my plan, I wasn't sure if this would weaken the mounts though. (dick's instructions didn't state how/if he bent the plate)
Then after bending 1 pc into an L, welding the back plate to complete the U shape around the frame -
Thanks -
Trevor
I was fortunate enough to have a brother that works in the steel fabbin industry for buildings. He bent them for me...

If I had to do it, I would weld two plates them grind them flat. Would be easier to get then angle than using a oxy acy with a vise.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
If I had to do it, I would weld two plates them grind them flat. Would be easier to get then angle than using a oxy acy with a vise.
X2. Its going to cost less too! Probably less time trying to make the angles smooth. Weld both sides and it'll be strong enough.

Contact DeMello Offroad.... he sells DIY stuff. Not sure on prices though.

You might be able to find some angle iron that has the right dimensions...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
X2. Its going to cost less too! Probably less time trying to make the angles smooth. Weld both sides and it'll be strong enough.

Contact DeMello Offroad.... he sells DIY stuff. Not sure on prices though.

You might be able to find some angle iron that has the right dimensions...
Well, dicks mount incorporates the tranny x-member. Very good design.

No angle iron out there can be made. It's like a 30* angle...

For the supports that wrap around the frame, I had my brother bend a L bracket, then I welded a plate on the end of it to complete the U. Only weld on one side, make sure the weld is good!

I would only bend the L if I knew that it was going to be at the correct angle and the inside radius would be tight.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only weld on one side?:confused: One side of the plate? Like inside/outside?
If I did the l_l rather than the Ll you think that would be fine strength wise??
Trevor

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
All depends how good of a welder you are :p

If you weld the inside, it doesn't set itght against the frame. Besides, it's so narrow you can't get a mig gun or a stick in there to weld it...

Right, just weld the outside of the plate. Taek it on the truck, bolted in place, unbolt then weld.

I think it would be find stregnth wise. What I did it made the metal about 1/4" longer and used a fillet weld to join the two plates. Very strong.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just cut and weld everything. I tried to bend the "L" shape, but bending with a vise and torch doesn't yield the best results and I didn't have acess to a big enough brake. Might take a little more time welding, but hey, welding is fun!

And I didn't like the idea of using the tranny mount as another mount, so I just made 4 "U" shaped mounts, incase I get rid of the stock mount.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I just cut out the plates and welded the 'Us' together. leave at least a 1/16" of 'play' in the U for shrinkage when you do the final burn. ;)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i remember seeing some bolt on mounts from cbi in a thread a while back they were 13 bucks i think pm them,im sure they have some pics

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just bought a the Rock Slider Mounting 8 leg Kit from WabFab for $24 plus shipping. These are actually Trail-Gear's, which I didn't know until they arrived.

Here's a pic. They come with the mount and gusset. I cannot get close to building these in CA for this price. The metal alone is more than $40.

Thanks -
Trevor

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I just bought a the Rock Slider Mounting 8 leg Kit from WabFab for $24 plus shipping. These are actually Trail-Gear's, which I didn't know until they arrived.

Here's a pic. They come with the mount and gusset. I cannot get close to building these in CA for this price. The metal alone is more than $40.

How those working out for you Anthony? :D

:welder:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
If you've got a table saw with a metal cutting blade you can set your saw to cut about half way through the plate, then use your vice to bend it. Once you've got it where you want it, weld a bead on the inside of your cut.

It's the easiest way that I've found to bend plate.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Not sure what size exactly you are looking for but sometimes you can find odd size rectangular tubing as drop at your local steel supplier and cut one side off and have a nice "U" shaped bracket. I've made several brackets this way. Just another thought/option.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Not sure what size exactly you are looking for but sometimes you can find odd size rectangular tubing as drop at your local steel supplier and cut one side off and have a nice "U" shaped bracket. I've made several brackets this way. Just another thought/option.

X2 Wab. I feel very lucky to have a big metal brake at work. Takes all the guessing out of the job.

·
Registered
636 Posts
They are going to work out great, but I have a baby due this week ( actually last Saturday ) and all my projects are on hold until who knows when. When I'm done I'll send you some pics.

Thanks!
AC

How those working out for you Anthony? :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys - I think I'm just gonna try to build the U's myself. Just to make sure I'm seeing things correctly - Those CBI's are about $15.00 PER Mount right? I got my 1/4" plate for $2.00 a piece:confused: (I guess add some grade 8 hardware and it raises a bit)There is another 1/2 pallet I could go pick-up.
And yea - I look forward to the welding part :welder:
I finally received my 220v Hobart today.....Now I understand why everyone reccomends the 220v's over the 110's.....The voltage selection is unbelieveable....and waaay cleaner than my 110v.
Trevor

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ooops! Sorry, I somehow skipped over the part where you stated you wanted a U shape.. :eek:

Thanks guys - I think I'm just gonna try to build the U's myself. Just to make sure I'm seeing things correctly - Those CBI's are about $15.00 PER Mount right? I got my 1/4" plate for $2.00 a piece:confused: (I guess add some grade 8 hardware and it raises a bit)There is another 1/2 pallet I could go pick-up.
And yea - I look forward to the welding part :welder:
I finally received my 220v Hobart today.....Now I understand why everyone reccomends the 220v's over the 110's.....The voltage selection is unbelieveable....and waaay cleaner than my 110v.
Trevor

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Also - Since I'm doing bolt-ons, it looks like the wafab/tg won't work? The bottom plate doesn't like like it goes all the way to the other side of the frame? (anyone confirm?) if so - yea, that's a great price.
Trevor

EDIT - Yea, U shape for bolt on's

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The frame channel is wider than the bottom plate. Well, at least on my 06..

Also - Since I'm doing bolt-ons, it looks like the wafab/tg won't work? The bottom plate doesn't like like it goes all the way to the other side of the frame? (anyone confirm?) if so - yea, that's a great price.
Trevor

1 - 20 of 37 Posts