TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be a stupid question but here goes: i have had a problem with my passenger side axle seal continuously going out. i am not sure if it is my housing or the axle itself. i dont have any vibrations or noticeable wobble. i had some shocks on my truck for a little while that were too long and bottomed out while wheeling so i am leaning towards bent housing. so for the question- if i bought a full floater conversion from front range off road, would a bent housing cause me problems? would the seals keep going out just the same? i was looking a getting a whole new housing but it will cost around a 1000 bucks and i will still be stuck with crappy drum brakes that never work after wheeling. thanks.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i would check the axel first. could be scored/bent.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
wv_tacoman said:
this might be a stupid question but here goes: i have had a problem with my passenger side axle seal continuously going out. i am not sure if it is my housing or the axle itself. i dont have any vibrations or noticeable wobble. i had some shocks on my truck for a little while that were too long and bottomed out while wheeling so i am leaning towards bent housing. so for the question- if i bought a full floater conversion from front range off road, would a bent housing cause me problems? would the seals keep going out just the same? i was looking a getting a whole new housing but it will cost around a 1000 bucks and i will still be stuck with crappy drum brakes that never work after wheeling. thanks.
A bent housing will cause huge problems with the FROR kit. You must have a straight housing or you will wear out the AL/rubber seal (goes inplace of the brass bushing in the toy spindle) that FROR includes in the kit.

Get your housing checked. Also make sure the shaft isn't bent or damaged around the seal surface.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
wv_tacoman said:
what would be the best way to find out if the housing is bent?
Buy a Diamond with the full floater- and never worry about it again ;)

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
wv_tacoman said:
what would be the best way to find out if the housing is bent?
Best way... take the housing to a shop that can check it. Things need to be exact as possible.

You can make a jig to take measurement from.

two pieces of angle iron with holes drilled to put bolts through it that bolt into the stock axle shaft mounting locations. one on each end of the housing. Make the angle iron pieces even on each side and ~3' long after the axle flange. mark a spot in exactly the same spot on each piece. on each end of the angle iron. take measurements and compare.

i don't have a pic, but it works.. as a prelim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
wv_tacoman
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing