TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I am 99% sure I found the source of a steering wheel shimmy. I bought a slightly wrecked 07 and thought I had fixed everything on it. After having the brand new wheels and tires re-balanced a bunch of times, having the truck aligned, I finally jacked my vehicle in the air and saw the driver's side rear had a slight wobble. I was hoping it was a wheel but then I swapped rear wheels and the wobble was still on the driver's side. I've shopped around for a new axle and the cheapest one I could find is about $300 for the axle shaft alone, and I'm guessing I'll need new bearings and seals as well (though i don't have any leaks). Here are my questions. Anyone know of a less expensive axle shaft for sale? Anyone know if these things can be fixed and be reliable, or is this a, "no way, buy a new one" type of situation?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sounds like just the flange is bent. If it isn't making any bearing noise and has no leaks, slap a new axle in it and have fun. I would check the boneyards for an axle.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i have never seen a late model taco in a junk yard

·
Registered
639 Posts
To make a long story short, I am 99% sure I found the source of a steering wheel shimmy. I bought a slightly wrecked 07 and thought I had fixed everything on it. After having the brand new wheels and tires re-balanced a bunch of times, having the truck aligned, I finally jacked my vehicle in the air and saw the driver's side rear had a slight wobble. I was hoping it was a wheel but then I swapped rear wheels and the wobble was still on the driver's side. I've shopped around for a new axle and the cheapest one I could find is about $300 for the axle shaft alone, and I'm guessing I'll need new bearings and seals as well (though i don't have any leaks). Here are my questions. Anyone know of a less expensive axle shaft for sale? Anyone know if these things can be fixed and be reliable, or is this a, "no way, buy a new one" type of situation?
I just sent you an email, but if you have the off road model ( with the 8" rear end), you can have my old axle shafts. Check your email for my phone number and give me a call. I don't know how much shipping is, but Yuma is only 2 hours from San Diego. Otherwise I will be driving out to Phoenix for Memorial Day Weekend.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just sent you an email, but if you have the off road model ( with the 8" rear end), you can have my old axle shafts. Check your email for my phone number and give me a call. I don't know how much shipping is, but Yuma is only 2 hours from San Diego. Otherwise I will be driving out to Phoenix for Memorial Day Weekend.
I'll check my email and give you a call. I don't have the off road model, but the place I got a quote from (toyotapartsales.com) has the same rear axle shafts for both the 8 and 8.4 rear diffs. I'll look into it and give you a call. I appreciate your generosity and helpfulness.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update;
I drove about 5 hours roundtrip to San Diego and picked up the freebie axles f/ Cell4Soul. Cell4Soul, I can't say enough good things about you. I''ll just repeat what I once heard from a wise old man, "You're a good man in a bad world". Cell4Soul even offered additional parts that were better than the ones I had, but I didn't want to feel like more of a freeloader. Thanks a million, and I won't forget your generosity.

I'll be dropping my truck off at the dealership on Monday so that they can press on the new bearings and replace the bent axle. Cell4Soul saved me atleast $400 in credit card charges.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Update;
I drove about 5 hours roundtrip to San Diego and picked up the freebie axles f/ Cell4Soul. Cell4Soul, I can't say enough good things about you. I''ll just repeat what I once heard from a wise old man, "You're a good man in a bad world". Cell4Soul even offered additional parts that were better than the ones I had, but I didn't want to feel like more of a freeloader. Thanks a million, and I won't forget your generosity.

I'll be dropping my truck off at the dealership on Monday so that they can press on the new bearings and replace the bent axle. Cell4Soul saved me atleast $400 in credit card charges.
Sounds like cell4soul really did you right on this one. Now here's what an old man once told me, "pay it forward". Meaning: when the opportunity presents itself, do someone else a good turn. I like hearing about stuff like this, just proves that we're not all selfish assholes on this planet. Good job!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Update;

Generosity is easy when it is appreciated as you just showed. I was glad I could help and hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Cell: your a good man...keep it up:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like cell4soul really did you right on this one. Now here's what an old man once told me, "pay it forward". Meaning: when the opportunity presents itself, do someone else a good turn. I like hearing about stuff like this, just proves that we're not all selfish assholes on this planet. Good job!
100% agree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts