TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how to bend this thing flat again? It's worse than it looks and it hits the transfer case now. I doubt a BFH will do the trick. I'd like it 'flat' again so I can have it reinforced.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
They are a pain to unbend. I've seen people drop the skid, put 4x4s under each of the crossmember sections and then pound away with a sledge.
Put it on the 4x4s and drive over it?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Any suggestions on how to bend this thing flat again? It's worse than it looks and it hits the transfer case now. I doubt a BFH will do the trick. I'd like it 'flat' again so I can have it reinforced.

Roll one tire (mounted on truck) down the center of the plate,
stopped where the rise is... leaving room to pound downward along
the 90* edge, 360* the plate... do the other side.

If you want to get real fancy with keeping a straighter edge...
find a chunk of old railroad tie... and hammer down on that.
^ using that... will make less circular indents in the plate. LoL

* hint... don't use a little hammer nor a girls swing with the sledge

·
7,735 Posts
haha.. been there done that. That amount of a bend won't come out by driving over it. I tried BHF, I tried heat and BFH, I finally resorted to chain/blocking and a bottle jack. the problem with just using a BFH or weight of the truck is the lip on the sides, it takes ALOT to get those to straighten out.

I used a few methods to straighten mine out. A couple of those almost put me in a wheel chair.

This does not work:

This almost took out my ankle when the hi-lift sliped:

There's what I found was the safest and worked. I set this up and tested to make sure it worked, then I flipped the skid over, blocked it, put tension on with the bottle jack, welded in some angle with the tension applied. They haven't bent since. I didn't get any pix of the final rigging, but you can use your imagination. By the way, that's all .25" wall tubing. Just be careful. With the amount of tension you have to apply to straighten those out, any little slip sends shit flying at destructively high rates of speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. The lip is what I was concerned about not budging, luckily it only appears only one side is bent/damaged. Looks like a real PITA!

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I plan on reinforcing it. I was half tempted to say *#^& it and just get a TG tcase skid or have a heavier one fabricated. I think I'll give the above method a shot and see what happens.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
10# sledge works great...use ear protection :p
and then...what 01 shows.

·
20,355 Posts
Had to jerry rig a few 4x4s, bottle jack and chains to pull mine straight. Be nice if they were reinforced from the get go.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Had to jerry rig a few 4x4s, bottle jack and chains to pull mine straight. Be nice if they were reinforced from the get go.
by the time I got all my homemade IFS skids reinforced after the fact they weighed in at well over 100# :p

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
by the time I got all my homemade IFS skids reinforced after the fact they weighed in at well over 100# :p
ya mine too. and it sucks cause the radiator hangs down lower on my 4 runner than the one 1(3) i had on my taco so the skid wont clear. might just get a new radiator thats shorter since its the stocker anyways

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ya mine too. and it sucks cause the radiator hangs down lower on my 4 runner than the one 1(3) i had on my taco so the skid wont clear. might just get a new radiator thats shorter since its the stocker anyways
did you see Jesse's thread on the different OE radiators for the 2.7s?
there is a huge difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts