TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bent the front portion of the frame from winching? It doesn't seem very sturdy and with the extra leverage from a bumper I figure it may bend pretty easy. Thanks. ...Steve

·
Registered
73 Posts
SteveO said:
Has anyone bent the front portion of the frame from winching? It doesn't seem very sturdy and with the extra leverage from a bumper I figure it may bend pretty easy. Thanks. ...Steve
It certainly will bend! An ARB mounts thru the frame ends and you are correct about the flimsy nature of that. Mine cracked and would have caused severe damage if I hadn't caught it.

Cut out the ends and had new heavier plate welded in as a replacement. Very strong now. There are a couple of members here that had posted photos and instructions that I used for the process.

If you plan on serious winching, this is something that has to be done.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
What about pulling another truck out of a mud hole using your front tow hook? Would that do any damage to the frame??

·
Registered
123 Posts
It can. I was pulling an F250 out of a snow bank once and my frame bent under the tow hook. I never was able to get the tow hook out of there after that. I had the frame straightened however.

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
platform389 said:
Cut out the ends and had new heavier plate welded in as a replacement. Very strong now. There are a couple of members here that had posted photos and instructions that I used for the process.

If you plan on serious winching, this is something that has to be done.
Take a look in the "Cheap Tricks" folder for a link to the write up I believe you are talking about.

I tore the endcaps off, but I haven't bent the actual frame... yet.

·
I think I remember where Moab is?
1,227 Posts
tacoma0309 said:
What about pulling another truck out of a mud hole using your front tow hook? Would that do any damage to the frame??
Been there, done that. I just got lucky that it didn't bend the whole section, just the spot of the frame where it was attached. then I slid off of a large rock in Moab and landed on the tow hook and really bent the frame...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know about the end caps but was wondering about the frame itself from the lateral stresses. I guess if the guys with bumpers aren't bending the frame then mine won't with the custom winch mount. Thanks.

·
Keyser Soze
540 Posts
I haven't seen anyone do it yet, but that doesn't mean it can't happen :( Since you are doing custom work up there, you will have the chance to make it never happen to you as well :)

On mine, I figure the new crossmember/spring hanger probably goes a long way toward beefing things up now :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
SteveO said:
I know about the end caps but was wondering about the frame itself from the lateral stresses. I guess if the guys with bumpers aren't bending the frame then mine won't with the custom winch mount. Thanks.
Steve,
Another way to look at it is that with the set up you're going to you'll be increasing the strength of the front section of your frame.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
tacoma0309 said:
yes. several have ripped them right off doing just that. If you are trying to yank something that is much heavier than your Taco the hook can pull right off the frame. Use of a 'yank' strap or other elastic pulling gear is essential.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got any pics on the mount your making for the winch? You are making a hidden type mount right? I was curious because i have had the same idea.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SilverTaco said:
Got any pics on the mount your making for the winch? You are making a hidden type mount right? I was curious because i have had the same idea.
I'll post some tomorrow, for some reason I can't make it small enough to post at home. I just finished it though and it turned out awesome, I just need my winch line to show up and I'll be able to test it out Saturday. ...Steve

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks. I have been very interested in mounting one behind the bumper. What do you do as far as the switch that allows freespool and winching that you have to switch? How do you get to it if it is under the bumper?

·
Registered
49 Posts
SteveO said:

There is a work around for the weak frame. But I won't tell you what it is because you don't like the new board. :p

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SilverTaco said:
Thanks. I have been very interested in mounting one behind the bumper. What do you do as far as the switch that allows freespool and winching that you have to switch? How do you get to it if it is under the bumper?
If I could post a pic I'd show you but I can't so..... I took the handle off the winch, cut it, turned it 90 degrees and then TIG welded it back together so that it never has to turn towards the back of the truck. Then I cut out one of the sections in the tupperware air intake so I can easily get my hand in there to engage/disengage the winch. It worked out perfectly and if I could post pics I would. Maybe later. ....Steve

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a picture of the winch mount before the bumper went on, not a great picture but it was -24 so I didn't pull it outside.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here it is basically finished but without cable. Not sure if I'll trim the tupperware or just let it sit the way it is on the fairlead.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not me. But I use a WARN Trans4mer mount. The uprights bolt into the tow hook spots, and they extend back along the frame a few more inches, where you drill out the frame and flasten with a 3/4" bolt.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
18 Participants
Dunk
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing